Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland 3040

Default 3040 stopped running

Hello to all. I am a new member and this is my first post. I was plowing snow tonight with my New Holland 3040 with just 200 hrs on the clock. Tractor was running fine and then it just lost power and slowly died. This same problem just happened at about 170 hrs. The battery was weak so I replaced it and everything was fine. The tractor cranks over with no issues. I put jumper cables on just in case. I had 1/4 tank of fuel. I put another 5 gallons in just to be sure it had enough. Has anyone had this issue?

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: 3040 stopped running

Quote Originally Posted by burf3040 View Post
    Hello to all. I am a new member and this is my first post. I was plowing snow tonight with my New Holland 3040 with just 200 hrs on the clock. Tractor was running fine and then it just lost power and slowly died. This same problem just happened at about 170 hrs. The battery was weak so I replaced it and everything was fine. The tractor cranks over with no issues. I put jumper cables on just in case. I had 1/4 tank of fuel. I put another 5 gallons in just to be sure it had enough. Has anyone had this issue?
    Have you changed the fuel filter? Or at least drain out any water in the sediment bowl? Sounds like fuel starvation.

Welcome to TBN!
    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    New Holland 3040

Hi Dave.Yes I changed the filter at 70 hrs. The bowl and filter look very clean and no sediment. If water is in the bowl would you see a line or differance in color? Thank You for responding.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Hi Dave.Yes I changed the filter at 70 hrs. The bowl and filter look very clean and no sediment. If water is in the bowl would you see a line or differance in color? Thank You for responding.
    You might while the bowl is still new. It sounds so much like your engine is lacking fuel, it wouldn't hurt to remove the filter bowl and dump it, then open the fuel valve and let some drain into a tin can before putting the filter back on. You would be fairly certain then that you aren't fighting water.

You may have to purge the air from your fuel line after reassembly. Your manual probably shows the procedure for that, it is simple really.
    Dave.

Tractor
    New Holland 3040

Dave, I will try dumping the bowl Thank You. Do you know what the fuel shutoff relay is for.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Dave, I will try dumping the bowl Thank You. Do you know what the fuel shutoff relay is for.
    I have a fuzzy idea but would rather let someone who really knows answer you.

You might want to include more info on your 3040 model, that helps people help you.
    Dave.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Since this is occurinng while you are plowing snow, I'd guess you have a clogged filter maybe due to water in the fuel. This is a common cause of run downs during cold weather. You haven't changed the fuel filter in 130 hrs of operation and that's over how long a time period? It's a good idea to change your fuel filters in the falll before the cold weather. Drain the sediment bowl or water separator before every use in the winter and after very use and try to keep your tank full to prevent condensate from putting water in your tank.

You could also have water in the tank freezing on the strainer at the fuel tap.

Tractor
    New Holland 3040

You were right. Took the bowl off, no fuel. I filled the bowl with fuel and got it running but it did't last long. When I put the fuel in the tank tonight I almost could not turn the fuel cap. Do you think this could be indicating a venting problem? Does the cap have a vent in it? Not sure where to start my troubleshooting. Dave thanks again, big relief to move the tractor away from the road and get it close to the house. Nh 3040,shuttle shift,Fel,backhoe,forks

Tractor
    New Holland 3040

Jerry/mt Thank You for your reply. Where is the fuel tap? How can I prevent the issue you speak of.

Tractor
    New Holland 3040

Sorry Jerry/mt, this is my first time posting and I did not see your full reply for some reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast