3040 stopped running

/ 3040 stopped running #11  
Jerry/mt Thank You for your reply. Where is the fuel tap? How can I prevent the issue you speak of.

If there is freezing or trash around the screen, you have to remove the tap to clean it.Its' at the bottom of the tank and feeds the line to the water separator. If you don't have a drain plug in the tank , siphon the fuel out of the tank to minimize spilling it all over and then remove the tap and clean the strainer. While you've gone this far, check and make sure that you don't have a bunch of crud in the tank. Put it back together and refill it and put some fuel additive in . Power Service White will help disperse water, help prevent gelling in really cold temperatures, and up the cetane number a bit to help starting. Keeping the tank full after working the tractor will minimize condensation to help keep water out.
I believe your cap may be vented but the vent can get frozen during cold weather so remove the cap, see if the venting is plugged with dirt or ice and see if that helps improves fuel delivery to the water separator. Clean, water- free fuel is essential to winter operation of diesel engine and you have to do everything to keep water, algae, and dirt out of the fuel in order to avoid these problems. Does your fuel filter have a drain on it. If so, drain some fuel out of that after you get fuel to flow to your water separatorand consider replacing the fuel filter because winter's not over yet. It's a good idea to have an extra fuel filter on the shelf just in case.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
   / 3040 stopped running
Took the day off from work to see if I can get this thing fixed. It was about 20 Deg f last night . I think I will spend some time and try to get it inside before I take the tank off.

/ 3040 stopped running #13  
Took the day off from work to see if I can get this thing fixed. It was about 20 Deg f last night . I think I will spend some time and try to get it inside before I take the tank off.

Glad you were able to get it away from the road - that's where tractors always break, or a half mile back in the woods :D

Sounds like you know fuel is the problem now and Jerry covered the bases there I think. Just guessing, ice/water is probably your issue since your tractor isn't very old. Thawing it out is a good step, since ice doesn't run :)

Like Jerry said, you have to keep after water accumulation. Drain/dump your filter bowl more frequently, use a water dispersant diesel additive, keep your tank full as much as possible, and monitor your fuel quality a bit.

Dave.

/ 3040 stopped running #14  

Do you need to take the tank off to to drain it? Can't you siphon the fuel out?

/ 3040 stopped running #15  

I just looked at your fuel schematic on the NH parts page and it appears you can check for flow from the tank by removing the tank to filter line at the filter. It appears you do not have a fuel tap at the tank, just a 5/16" barbed hose fitting. Before you go taking the tank out, see if you have fuel coming out of the fuel delivery line to the filter. Capture the fuel in a glass jar and let it sit for awhile and look for water in the fuel. Water will settle in the bottom of the jar. If it's flowing (continuous and filling the fuel line) I would not remove the tank but I would try to drain all the contaninated fuel out and let any water or sediment, etc settle out. You can decant the good fuel on top off, filter it through a clean cloth and reuse it.

/ 3040 stopped running #16  
Here is a good thread to read about fuel feed problems. Note that my first comments about the fuel pump being before the fuel filter are not correct. The fuel pump is after the filter even though the NH Repair manual shows it is before it. Not only do you want to make sure your fuel supply line is clear, but also your fuel return line.

If you are thinking your fuel cap might be the problem, just try starting and running the tractor with it loose to see if it is actually a cap venting problem. You can also use reverse pressure on the fuel supply line to the filter to blow back any trash that might be in the line. To my knowledge, our fuel tanks don't have any screen in the bottom where the fuel exits.

It sounds to me like you are getting some good advice so far and you're on the track to finding the problem. I bet you'll find a slug of ice somewhere in the fuel line, but it might just be an iced up fuel cap that needs to be defrosted. That could cause a vacuum on the tank and keep fuel from flowing.

/ 3040 stopped running
Yes good advice from everyone,thanks to all who replied. I got a little lazy and did not want to take the tank off so I sent some air into the line that went to the tank. Something was in the line because fuel started to flow. Filled the bowl and let it sit. Went and got some Diesel 911 and added to the tank. I ran the tractor for over an hour with no issus today.I was a little suprised that the fuel bowl looks the same with fuel in it or not. That was half the problem. Lesson learned.

/ 3040 stopped running #18  
Yes good advice from everyone,thanks to all who replied. I got a little lazy and did not want to take the tank off so I sent some air into the line that went to the tank. Something was in the line because fuel started to flow. Filled the bowl and let it sit. Went and got some Diesel 911 and added to the tank. I ran the tractor for over an hour with no issus today.I was a little suprised that the fuel bowl looks the same with fuel in it or not. That was half the problem. Lesson learned.

Good news. Glad you have it under control and back to working. :thumbsup:
Dave.

/ 3040 stopped running #19  

Glad you got it running. What did the fuel that came out look like?

/ 3040 stopped running
The fuel looked fine. When I filled the bowl for the first time I let it sit for about 1/2 hour while I went to the store.When I got back the bowl looked even in color. The first time I took the bowl off and found no fuel in it I did find a few globs of brown slimmey matter at the bottom of the bowl. I fill the tractor with the same 5 gal can and only use diesel from the filling station.