Cracked tranny case on TC26DA

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
After 12 years and 824 relatively reliable hours, it looks like there is a hairline crack in my hydro transmission case. Replacement part is over $2700 (at Messicks, most likely the best price there is.) Emailed the nearest NH dealer. I've done some business there since my original dealer went out, but the owner is away for another week, so I was told to recontact then. I'm hoping the job can be done without too much other cost, though I realize that splitting the tractor is not a small matter.

I take care of my equipment. My father's Wheelhorse lasted over 30 years, and is still repairable if I had the ambition, time and patience. My Dodge pickup lasted 27 years before I traded it in. My Camry is 17 years old now. Don't know what could have caused the crack, especially since it occurred during snow season where there is little banging around and everything slips and slides..

If anyone has been through this situation with a small NH CUT, let me know how you made out?

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #2  
Find the best welder in your area. Even though it's cast, a good welder can fix it in a few hours. On the Mid 1970's to the late 1970's compact 30Hp Kubota units - the front axle would work loose from the flywheel housing. 4 bolts that are supposed to be torqued every 50 hours are often missed because they're in a tough place to get into. Anyhow, when the bolts work loose the bottom left corner of the flywheel casing cracks and leaks fluid badly. So common that it's tough to find one in service nowadays WITHOUT the repair. Find a good welder and you'll be alright.

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #3  
What bota said. Somebody that's good at welding cast can make it stronger than original. You'll probably have to ask around a bit to find that person.

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA
I've heard mixed reviews about welding. From what I've heard, the tractor still has to be split so the casting can be drained clean, removed, and heated hot enough to burn off any oil to properly weld it. There is a very high quality machine shop in the area, and it might be that this dealer deals with them. I'll see. The place where it is cracked is a problem, though, very near attachment points. Will have to see what the dealer says.

Thanks for the info!

Well, the dealer doesn't think welding is a good idea unless I want to sell the tractor off, which I do not. I await word on the situation when he gets into it. I was considering trading the tractor in last summer, but it was an either / or situation with a truck, and the truck won out when I found some basic Tacomas that had been used by dealers as loaners at a relatively reasonable price. So now I'm out of the tractor market for at least three years.

At a minimum, in addition to the case, the tractor will need front tires. I'm hoping to get a few more out of the 12 year old rears. They have plenty of tread but are showing some small cracks. The fronts were going to go in the spring anyway. Dealer says it's unusual for cracks to happen on tractors without backhoes. No hoe on mine. Working in winter with it seldom causes any serious bumps or such, because there is so little traction on the snow. Had it happened in the summer when using the box blade or such, it would have been more understandable, but even then I don't abuse the tractor.

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #6  
Weld the case. What is there to loose assuming it’s junk now?

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #7  
I’ve got a 26da with just over 500 hrs. I cracked my rear end as well. Top to bottom behind the filter. I was told 2500 for the new housing and at least 40hrs of labor. I had a big fab shop tell me they’d weld it, but wanted it to be tore down and welded from both sides. I was surprised when I tore the bottom pto off and the housing is only 1/4” or so thick. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to see what options I have available. I’ll let you know what I find out.

I致e got a 26da with just over 500 hrs. I cracked my rear end as well. Top to bottom behind the filter. I was told 2500 for the new housing and at least 40hrs of labor. I had a big fab shop tell me they壇 weld it, but wanted it to be tore down and welded from both sides. I was surprised when I tore the bottom pto off and the housing is only 1/4 or so thick. I知 going to the dealer tomorrow to see what options I have available. I値l let you know what I find out.

Yeah, from TBN posts, it appears in order to successfully weld, you have to remove the part, cook off all the oil with intense heat, and weld both sides.
The huge amount of labor is only matched by the outrageous price of the parts, sad to say.
Do you have a backhoe on that tractor? The dealer here says most of these problems come with tractors that have hoes. Mine does not.

If I ever get another tractor, maybe go for a shuttle shift instead of hydro. At least with that, there wouln't be the huge pressures involved in the tranny case.
I think of a tractor with 800 hours as just being broken in.. shouldn't be broken.

Have you heard anything about your tractor?

Weld the case. What is there to loose assuming it’s junk now?

Well, the labor costs would be the same whether welding or not - the part still needs to be removed and cleaned and put back. Then if the weld is no good, I'd be out the new casing and the labor again. I'd rather get it right. Again, I still maintain that, even at 12 years old, a tractor with 800 hours should be barely broken in. The price of parts, and I mean virtually all New Holland parts is outrageous. $100 hydro oil filters, $30 rubber pedal covers, many other items are just ridiculous. And the price of a transmission casing being like 20% of the price of the whole tractor when it was new, that's ridiculous as well.

/ Cracked tranny case on TC26DA #10  
I do not have a backhoe. I heard back this morning from the dealer. They did say the housing would be 2500 but it would come from over seas and I’d have to pay shipping on it. The info I posted before was heresay from a mechanic buddy. Service is supposed to quote me the cost to repair it. I agree that with under 1000 hrs it’s still just broke in. Did you try looking for filters at an international dealership? That’s where I got my engine oil filter. Possibly cheaper, but idk.