HST Filter probs

/ HST Filter probs #1  

shiggy

I have a new Case DX 29 and thought I would post my problem in the New Holland forums due to more active users.

Here's my problem, I have 78 hours on my tractor and at 49 hours I did the full service. HYD filter, HST filter, Oil and Filter, Fuel Filter, etc. I purchased all filters from my Case dealer which were Fleetguard filters. When I removed the HST filter, the screen inside appeared to be sucked upward inside the filter. Then I installed one of the Fleetguard filters. This is how I did it, removed O-ring, lubed both sides of O-ring, re-seated O-ring, filled filter with new hyd-trans fluid, installed filter until O-ring seated, then 1 1/2 turns after. A few days after that I started tractor, let it warm up a tad and started to move forward. The the filter gasket blew out shooting hyd-trans fluid everywhere. I instantly shut tractor down and installed another brand new Fleetguard filter thinking maybe faulty filter. I installed the new filter same way as I did before, but making sure I went just a lil bit tighter. Well, next few days same thing happened, sending hyd-trans fluid all over the left side of my engine and tractor. I removed filter, re-seated filter and after a few days of running tractor same thing happened. I have mentioned this to my dealer and they have ordered me some true CASE HST filters. I am getting sick and tired of this happening, it's getting pretty old of cleaning the tractor every few days so dirt doesn't stick to the hyd-trans fluid that's all over it.

Am I the only one with this prob? Does the HST have too much pressure? The filter is on the return side, correct? If it happens again after I install a CASE HST filter, it'll be loaded up on my trailer and dropped off at my dealer. Maybe they'll be able to check the pressure at the filter. I don't know what else to do. I guess I really just had to vent some frustration. Thanks for reading.

-shiggy

/ HST Filter probs #2  
Everything sounds alright except I don't understand the removing the o-ring part. Was it loose enough to take out of the grove?

/ HST Filter probs
There is a diagram (instructions) on the filter that shows you taking O-ring out of groove, putting a few drops of oil in groove, re-seating O-ring, and putting a few drops of oil on top of O-ring. Also states 1 1/2 turns after O-ring contact. The O-ring is alot thicker than an oil filter. Probably twice the thickness. The oil in the groove allows the O-ring to move easily since the filter has to be tighten 1 1/2 turns. That's my guess.

-shiggy

/ HST Filter probs #4  
"When I removed the HST filter, the screen inside appeared to be sucked upward inside the filter."
Could you explain this more? Is this screen part of the old filter? From the sound of your post there isnt one in the FG filter. Correct? Are these the only diffs between these filters? In particular what were the gaskets like on the original filter?

"I have mentioned this to my dealer and they have ordered me some true CASE HST filters. "
When you told them about the 'blow outs' they said this is the 1st time theyve heard of it on the mdl of tractor you have? I wonder if TC29 filters work for your machine? You might try looking at what your local NH dealer has and comparing that to your original.

/ HST Filter probs #5  
shiggy said:
There is a diagram (instructions) on the filter that shows you taking O-ring out of groove, putting a few drops of oil in groove, re-seating O-ring, and putting a few drops of oil on top of O-ring. Also states 1 1/2 turns after O-ring contact. The O-ring is alot thicker than an oil filter. Probably twice the thickness. The oil in the groove allows the O-ring to move easily since the filter has to be tighten 1 1/2 turns. That's my guess.

-shiggy
Strange really strange. I learned something today. Was that shown on the Fleetguard filters only or also the Case filters?
If it is blowing out I think that I would try it without that step once. Let the ring get a grip on one side at least.

/ HST Filter probs #6  
Check out the thread below and order the winter filter for your HST. The HST system filter is actually under pressure from the HST charge pump and the pressure in that filter can be as high as 300 psi. You need to get the heavier filter and then tighten it as tight as you can get it to stop the leaking. It's especially a problem in cool weather.

HST Filter Problems

/ HST Filter probs
I talked with my dealer this morning 'bout the problem again. They did some research on the matter and told me a few things......

Fleetguard HST Filter have been discontinued. These filters are prone to leakage at the filter seal in a wide range of operating temps and are not to be used in any application. A new HST filter (SBA340500990) that incorporates the following changes
:Burst pressure increased from 345 psi to 480 psi
:Sealing ring changed from an o-ring to a square ring
:Outside diameter of filter housing reduced from 90 mm to 80 mm

This is not the cold weather filter, but the cold weather filter is still available.

They ordered me a few of them and should be in this week. So hopefully that will take care of this issue.

jimg, the screen I am talking about is the actual filter. It's the inside of the filter with all the holes. The orginal one that I first removed, the inside of the filter was all sucked upward. I'll try and grab a pic.

I'll post back if the new filters help. Thanks for the replies.

-shiggy

/ HST Filter probs #8  
I had this problem in my TC29D and found it was the old square ring gasket had stuck to the engine. I removed the new filter twice to check the seal before I realized the gasket was missing from the old filter and had stuck in there where I couldn't see it.
The double gasket seal didn't work and blew oil all over.
Tazz

/ HST Filter probs #9  
I will have to look at mine the next time I remove them. Thanks