MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #1  

mathey

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I'll ask this again, since it seems to have happened again. There is only one mod I know of who will almost always take the time to explain a removal.

1) Are there rules for removing a post , or do they vary from moderator to moderator

2) if and when a post is removed, does the moderator who removes the post
send a pm to the member who's post he is removing - explaining or
highlighting the offending words, if not, WHYNOT

here's the rules, in case someone was looking for them (since they are very difficult to find)

1.Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
2.Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information.
3.Publish, post, distribute, or disseminate any material or information that is untrue, false, or inaccurate.
4.Post under multiple identities and/or names.5.Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy of publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.6.Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer.
7.Delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded.
8.Falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
9.Advertise, offer to sell any goods or services, conduct or forward surveys, contests, or chain letters, or post links to 3rd party websites, without the permission of TractorByNet.com.
10."SPAM" or in any way solicit other members to join any e-mail list, website, discussion forum or subscription.11.Download any file posted by another user of a Forum that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
12.Share any private message communication with another member, or post any such communications on any other website, discussion forum, or share any such communication via e-mail.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #2  
Actually Mathey, you would be wrong. Those are not the rules by which the moderators edit posts. Those are the terms of service that you agree to abide by.

As for the moderation policy, it is very easy to find on the main page, click on the link on the bottom to take you to terms of service. Nowhere does it say it has to notify us when they close, delete or edit threads.

Here is the entire text of their moderation policy:
TractorByNet.com has the right to delete, edit, or decline to publish any information provided by those accessing the site at any time and for any reason or that TractorByNet.com in its sole discretion deems to be unacceptable.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #3  
Every once in a while someone will ask these questions and more. To sum it all up > If a person is doing what they are suppose to do, then they won't get posts removed unless it is removed because it is in response to a post that was removed. If they are doing anything that is in violation of the TOS then it will be removed. This is not directed at anyone person. It seems that it has been coming up more and more lately.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #4  
Oh, one more thing, writting at the bottom of the Terms of Service page that we should all be aware of . . .

If you do not agree with the terms stated above, you should exit this website now!

The way I see, we are all guests here. We should act accordingly. :)

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #5  
Bob_Skurka said:
The way I see, we are all guests here. We should act accordingly. :)
I agree completely.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #6  
Bob_Skurka said:
Actually Mathey, you would be wrong. Those are not the rules by which the moderators edit posts. Those are the terms of service that you agree to abide by.

As for the moderation policy, it is very easy to find on the main page, click on the link on the bottom to take you to terms of service. Nowhere does it say it has to notify us when they close, delete or edit threads.

Here is the entire text of their moderation policy:
TractorByNet.com has the right to delete, edit, or decline to publish any information provided by those accessing the site at any time and for any reason or that TractorByNet.com in its sole discretion deems to be unacceptable.

Bob, I think mathey is right. What you're quoting is an addition to.

mathey, sometimes things don't seem as clear as it should. Moderators have a tough job trying to keep the piece and things civil. They don't always see things the same way but that's only human. They do a fair job.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #7  
There are also forum specific rules that can result in posts being relocated or removed. For example, the rules for the Related Topics forum are;

No politics, religion, joke lists or personal/legal advice threads. Keep it clean and friendly!

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #8  
mathey said:
I'll ask this again, since it seems to have happened again. There is only one mod I know of who will almost always take the time to explain a removal.
1) Are there rules for removing a post , or do they vary from moderator to moderator

2) if and when a post is removed, does the moderator who removes the post
send a pm to the member who's post he is removing - explaining or
highlighting the offending words, if not, WHYNOT
here's the rules, in case someone was looking for them (since they are very difficult to find)

1. . . .
Billyp, we may agree to disagree, but Mathey asked questions about the rules for removing posts, then he quoted the terms of service that we must abide by, he actually omitted something very important that is posted directly above the list of 'rules' he posted, here is what it says:
Terms of Service said:
USE OF DISCUSSION FORUM, CHAT ROOMS, PRIVATE MESSAGING, AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS FORUMS ON TRACTORBYNET.COM
If this web site contains discussion forums, chat rooms, or other message or communication facilities (collectively, "Forums"), you agree to use the Forums only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular Forum. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using a Forum, you shall not do any of the following: . . .
1. . . .
Now take a careful look at teh big red words, those are directed at US, the users here. Then take a look at the last sentence where it says what WE, the users here, shall not do.

Nowhere in that text does it say what the moderators will do, or what rules they must abide by. If you continue to read down after the rules WE abide by, then there is the text that says what TractorByNet may do. That is what I posted.

So Mathey asked
mathey said:
if and when a post is removed, does the moderator who removes the post send a pm to the member who's post he is removing - explaining or highlighting the offending words, if not, WHYNOT
Here is his answer and nowhere does it say the moderators have to notify anyone when a post is edited or removed, nowhere does it say they have to highlight offending words, etc:

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN #9  
OK Bob, I gotcha! I wasn't reading what my eyes were seeing. My earlier post was pertaining to mathey's question #1 "Are there rules for removing a post , or do they vary from moderator to moderator". The answer is Yes and Yes.

Now for question #2. No, they don't have to nor is it in any agreement between thereof. It's just something moderators should always do. This is why I said some moderators don't see things the same way.

/ MODS - Removing a post...AGAIN
I posted a link in the "Rural" forum to an April Fools page on Google that I found pretty funny, hey I fell for it hook line and sinker. (I guess if you don't have dial-up, you might not find it funny)

As best as I can tell, it voilated no rules that I can find, but it was quickly deleted.

I feel like if posts are going to be deleted, I should at least know why, lest I offend the powers that be again.

Status
Not open for further replies.