R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil!

/ R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil! #21  
Slippy said:
I
While I am on the subject, is there anything special about the Kubota 15w40 engine oil? It is $17 per gallon and I can pick up Rotella for 10-12 a gallon.

Thanks.

Do you think there is anything special about these oils? Doubtful.

FluidsHonda5W20.jpg

FluidsNissanMaticD.jpg

FluidsMazdaT4.jpg

/ R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil!
Well...I called the 1-800 number that was posted by Sam's Club to call if any questions about the product A&W 46. It was answered by Shell, got transfered to their tec department...told that it was a Wal-Mart product and they only knew for sure what it was, but they told me the A&W stands for anti-wear and the fluid was for industrial machinery, not for tractor use. She did tell me that Sam's Club does sell another fluid that is a universal transmission tractor fluid. Have not seen that one.

/ R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil! #23  
Slippy said:
Well...I called the 1-800 number that was posted by Sam's Club to call if any questions about the product A&W 46. It was answered by Shell, got transfered to their tec department...told that it was a Wal-Mart product and they only knew for sure what it was, but they told me the A&W stands for anti-wear and the fluid was for industrial machinery, not for tractor use. She did tell me that Sam's Club does sell another fluid that is a universal transmission tractor fluid. Have not seen that one.
I've used it. It'll work. The thing that got me to change to name brand was being pointed out how a Hydro tranny is expensive to rebuild. I don't ever want to do it. I realize there is no guarantee but, the cost difference isn't enough to make me go back to Sams fluid. I do feel that there is a difference in performance between the Sams vs Permatran. Better feel and response at the pedal.

/ R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil! #24  
coobie said:
From what I have read and spoke with a few folks on this subject STAY with the Kubota brand Hyd fluid or you will run into operating problems with your hydrostatic transmission.coobie

Not just Hydro machines. We have an L2900 GST and a few years back in doing the normal maintenance we changed the hyd oil over to CIH's HyTran because we've ALWAYS used it in the big toys with no issues (most of the big toys are Red)...Summer wasnt a problem but in the fall/winter when it was cool the GST was SLOOOWWWW & didnt work like it did before...ran it like that for a few weeks...drained it and put Genuine Kub UDT back in...Machine worked fine.
NOT All Oils are made equal... Back in the day there were issues using "Green Oil" aka HyGard in "Red Oil" aka HyTran in the "wrong" machines...I recall one was formulated to CARRY water to a filter, the other was formulated to SINK water down to the bottom of the housing...I want to say if you used HyTran in a JD (Back then it woulda been the 4020 series vintage) you'd burn the brakes right out of em because the pad material was vunerable to water..HyTran was formulated to carry the water to the filter...so water would stay more in suspension...I might have gotten it backwards..but the moral of the story is while I Personally use a non OEM Engine Oil, I ALWAYS use Genuine OEM Hydraulic Fluids... The GST issue reaffirmed what we always only had heard about...