Overhead Diesel Tank Project

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #11  
A very few towns here in Massachusetts have laws against self-serve gas stations, mainly for fire safety reasons I guess. Oregon would be an example of an entire state banning do-it-yourself gas pumping. I

You folks remember the days when the attendant filled the tank, checked the oil, checked the tires and even filled the windshield washer fluid? :D

In some stations they even had to hand pump and fill the glass container before filling the gas tank.:D

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #12  
Gary, superb rebuild on the stand... I like the platform under the tank. Thanks for the comments re how you cleaned it out... I need to clean out 3 tanks as well.... will do similar to what you did, glad to know it works!

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project
Here are some pictures of the spray head I made for the end of the pipe I stick into the tank to clean it out. I hook the 1/2" pipe to the hot water and go through the outlet hole on the face end of the tank (where you normally hook up the hose and nozzel). The spray head is a 1/2" cap that I've turned down on the lathe and then drilled with 1/8" holes at 45 degree spacings. Otherwise, it would not fit through the 1" pipe thread hole. If I had it to do over, I'd plug the end of the pipe and drill the holes in the end of the pipe itself.

Attachments

• 2009 - Tank Sprayer 1_resize.JPG
    2009 - Tank Sprayer 1_resize.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2009 - Tank Sprayer 2_resize.JPG
    2009 - Tank Sprayer 2_resize.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 116
   / Overhead Diesel Tank Project #14  
Gary;

Very nice job all around! Hope you don't mind if I ask a few q's about the project, as I'm looking at a similar setup. I have a deal on a 2000 gallon double-walled tank with a new pump for a great price, but kinda talked myself out of it for several reasons. Too big to move around, stability of diesel for a length of time, bacteria, etc. So I was thinking 300-500 gallon would be good.
1. Assuming the raised tank is for gravity fueling? Saves on the cost of a pump....less maintenance....shouldn't be any flow problems?
2. How do you move it around? In one pic it looks like the stand is on wheels....or can you pick up the tank with tractor forks?
3. Assuming you're keeping it under the lean-to? Is it bad to keep it inside a pole barn? (I'm thinking yes but want to be sure)
4. Wouldn't it be easy to weld on a ladder/platform for refilling?
Once again, nice job!

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #15  
Had one just like it at the Ranch where my brother worked in the 80's... the fire Department made the owner remove it... same thing with smaller gravity fed 55 gallon drums at the machine shop where I worked.

Local Fire Regs prohibited gravity feed of combustibles... something about feeding a fire should the hose, nozzle or tank breech.

Looks like you did a fine job... wish I had one.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #16  
Gary;
Very nice job all around! Hope you don't mind if I ask a few q's about the project, as I'm looking at a similar setup. I have a deal on a 2000 gallon double-walled tank with a new pump for a great price, but kinda talked myself out of it for several reasons. Too big to move around, stability of diesel for a length of time, bacteria, etc. So I was thinking 300-500 gallon would be good.
1*1. Assuming the raised tank is for gravity fueling? Saves on the cost of a pump....less maintenance....shouldn't be any flow problems?
2*2. How do you move it around? In one pic it looks like the stand is on wheels....or can you pick up the tank with tractor forks?
3*3. Assuming you're keeping it under the lean-to? Is it bad to keep it inside a pole barn? (I'm thinking yes but want to be sure)
4*4. Wouldn't it be easy to weld on a ladder/platform for refilling?
Once again, nice job!
1*Gravity feed is a bad idea because it will empty the tank if a leak occurs an then ya have a real flow problem.
Just not worth it to save a hundred bucks or so on a pump.
2*Why move it around?
3*I keep mine inside a locked 8x10 storage building.
I prefer to keep it out of sight out of mind.
Protects it from theft vandals and the elements.
I do not condone storing gasoline and other fuels in barns pole buildings garages or basements.
4*So every kid in the area will have something to climb on.
Another advantage of a pump = easier more accessable filling.

1*Had one just like it at the Ranch where my brother worked in the 80's... the fire Department made the owner remove it... same thing with smaller gravity fed 55 gallon drums at the machine shop where I worked.
2*Local Fire Regs prohibited gravity feed of combustibles... something about feeding a fire should the hose, nozzle or tank breech.
Looks like you did a fine job... wish I had one.
1*-2*A pump solves this issue.

Gary;

1. Assuming the raised tank is for gravity fueling? Saves on the cost of a pump....less maintenance....shouldn't be any flow problems?
2. How do you move it around? In one pic it looks like the stand is on wheels....or can you pick up the tank with tractor forks?
3. Assuming you're keeping it under the lean-to? Is it bad to keep it inside a pole barn? (I'm thinking yes but want to be sure)
4. Wouldn't it be easy to weld on a ladder/platform for refilling?
Once again, nice job!

1. Yes, the raised tank is for gravity fueling and therefore no pump required. I don't know what the flow rate is but it's faster than my hand pump for sure!

2. The stand isn't meant to be moved around much. I can lift it with the tractor and pallet forks, but I don't attempt to move it when it's full of diesel. So, it will stay in one place between fill ups.

3. I wouldn't store gasoline inside a building for sure. However, this tank has diesel in it and is under a lean-to cover. Check with your local fire department and your insurance company if you think there might be an issue.

4. When I was building my tank stand, I asked the local fuel delivery if they wanted a ladder welded to the tank. They said no, we just back the truck up to the tank and stand on it. Sure enough, the delivery truck had steps built into it just for this purpose.

It's funny how some places outlaw things like overhead tanks and in other places, it's the norm. I'm proud to say Texas doesn't have too many petty rules (at least not yet).

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #19  
No insult taken. A very few towns here in Massachusetts have laws against self-serve gas stations, mainly for fire safety reasons I guess. Oregon would be an example of an entire state banning do-it-yourself gas pumping. *I think such laws are a pain in the bee-hind myself.
*Self service stations are a real PITA for the handicapped and the disabled.

1*Gravity feed is a bad idea because it will empty the tank if a leak occurs an then ya have a real flow problem.
Just not worth it to save a hundred bucks or so on a pump.

If an overhead tank starts leaking, it will cause the same mess a a leaking tank sitting on the ground. The way I look at it, I can more easily get something underneath it to save some of it.

The main outlet is at the bottom and I suppose it's more likely to leak than a welded part of the tank, but it's pretty sturdy metal piping with a good ball valve before the rest of the plumbing.