Overhead Diesel Tank Project

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #21  
1. Yes, the raised tank is for gravity fueling and therefore no pump required. I don't know what the flow rate is but it's faster than my hand pump for sure!

2. The stand isn't meant to be moved around much. I can lift it with the tractor and pallet forks, but I don't attempt to move it when it's full of diesel. So, it will stay in one place between fill ups.

3. I wouldn't store gasoline inside a building for sure. However, this tank has diesel in it and is under a lean-to cover. Check with your local fire department and your insurance company if you think there might be an issue.

4. When I was building my tank stand, I asked the local fuel delivery if they wanted a ladder welded to the tank. They said no, *we just back the truck up to the tank and stand on it. Sure enough, the delivery truck had steps built into it just for this purpose.

It's funny how some places outlaw things like overhead tanks and in other places, it's the norm. I'm proud to say Texas doesn't have too many petty rules (at least not yet).
*Makes great ruts in a soft lawn.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #22  
No insult taken. A very few towns here in Massachusetts have laws against self-serve gas stations, mainly for fire safety reasons I guess. Oregon would be an example of an entire state banning do-it-yourself gas pumping. I think such laws are a pain in the bee-hind myself.

Statewide New Jersey is attendant only too!
Growin' up I was a pump attendant listening to everyone gripe that Reg went from $0.359 to $0.379 and I had to do the windshield if you bought more than a buck; check the oil & have you pull to the air pump & check the tires too!, the introduction fo the mini skirt would even get my boss to do windshields...

There was this widow who always asked you to check her brake fluid...but tipped every Christmas.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project
Well, I seem to be on a tank rebuilding run. I picked up another tank, this one for $25. The stand is in good shape so I just cleaned out the tank, sandblasted and painted. I did weld on a nozzle holder, but that was about it. The nozzle and hose are in good enough shape to reuse, so I just have to buy a new filter, ball valve and some fittings. There's a farm auction this weekend not to far away. I think I'll put it in there and see what it brings. Any one want to play the "how much it will go for" guessing game? The tank is 30"x93" so about 280 gallons.

Attachments

• 2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 3_resize.JPG
    2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 3_resize.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 2_resize.JPG
    2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 2_resize.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 126
  • 2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 4_resize.JPG
    2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 4_resize.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 5_resize.JPG
    2009 - Overhead Tank No 2 - 5_resize.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
   / Overhead Diesel Tank Project #24  
You are a lucky man. When I was trying to find tanks I finally had to give up and build my own.

Chris

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #25  
*Self service stations are a real PITA for the handicapped and the disabled.

I would expect them to lean out the window and say "Hey, would you pump my gas please". At which point I'd expect most would be happy to do so.. And those that wouldn't, we'd just have to thump them on the head.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project
Well a buddy called today and wanted the tank. Paid $250 for it sight unseen. So, no having to load it up and take it to the auction house.

Funny thing is I don't ever see any of these tanks for sale new, except at one TSC. Maybe there's a secret "tank shop" that I don't know about.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #27  
Well a buddy called today and wanted the tank. Paid $250 for it sight unseen. So, no having to load it up and take it to the auction house.

Funny thing is I don't ever see any of these tanks for sale new, except at one TSC. Maybe there's a secret "tank shop" that I don't know about.

I have a overhead tank but 4 or 5 years ago when I was looking for one I could not find them. I called every co-op, farm store like TSC, and even the fuel delivery companies around here. All they had were ground tanks with 12 or 120 volt pumps. Anyway I was told they are no longer available due to good old OSHA. They say they are a tip risk, especially when they are getting empty. Seems more than one person has had them tip on them as they climb up on them to look inside and see how much fuel is left. I ended up building my own 300 gallon tank on a stand since I did not want to reley on a pump due to our frequent power outages.

Chris

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #28  

10 times what you paid for it. /not a bad PROFIT.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #29  
Never get away with it down here. Tanks have to be double wall and top feed if over 250 gallons and stationary. Fuel can't be delivered unless you have a permit for over 250 size. Under 250 the tank has to be mobile and/or double walled.

All that said, we had single walled 200 gallon tanks (4 day tanks) inside a gov't built building and 2 10,000gal outside tanks that were bottom feed. The outside ones had to be replaced with top feeds in 2001. Nothing wrong with the tanks and never a leak, but being over a sole source aquifer required replacement by law. And double walled pipes. Inside tanks, gained a doublewalled day tank due to the new generators not being able to handle tank fuel head pressure. Fire marshals didn't like the inside tanks but couldn't tell the gov't to get rid of them either. The old day tanks hang from the overhead crane beams. And feature all welded pipe to the shutoff valves at each engine. Building serves as secondary containment.

/ Overhead Diesel Tank Project #30  
1*Never get away with it
2*down here.
3* Fuel can't be delivered unless you have a permit for over 250 size.
4*Under 250 the tank has to be mobile and/or double walled.
1*Get away with what?
2*Down where?
3*Why do you have to order over 250 gallon and get a permit for it?
4*even a 30 or 55 gallon drum??

Surley you're talking commercial establishments' here and not private homeowners:RITE!