Removing ethanol from gasoline

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #31  
Tig said:
I've been maintaining and repairing engines as a hobby for almost 40 years. E10 has been around for 22 years and it's the only fuel for the past 10 or so years. I've seen no evidence of E10 problems or any increased rate of failure. The brigs in my Bolens and the one in my little Viking snow blower are from the lead fuel days of the 70s. I have not touched the carbs in 20 years of E10 use and I have never drained fuel from either. I have never used stabil. All in all, I just can't imagine how our engines and fuel could be so much better than yours.

I wonder if its a location issue? I have pulled more water out of tanks and carb bowls then you could imagine. The climate in my area is from -20 to 110. Fuel lines if not silicone will break down internally like a eraser debris on paper.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Removing ethanol from gasoline #32  
The sixties got better mileage then the seventies but still could get mid teens! We work with lawn mowers and chain saws, gave up the sleds but watch the help all day and I still play with cars into the 500 hp range carburated.
I appreciate the added business from the corn farmers although it hurts my dairy customers. I see it all day, don't trust todays gas much over thirty days to be stable in this area even high test.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #33  
We see less issues with E10 in small engines that have plastic gas tanks vs. metal gas tanks that can sweat more in vasts temp changes.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #34  
What Gale just wrote is were I am at also . Metal building , lawn mower would draw moisture in 1 week , in wood pole barn , it would sit for a year between use's and not have a issue .

Fred H.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #35  
Well, I have a 1996 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. Since we have been forced to use ethanol
laced gas, the carbs must be rebuilt each spring. Even after draining fuel from the tank and
the carbs. $800 every spring!:eek: The "rubber" parts dissolve. Echo pole chainsaw, gas lines
and pump totally rotted away. Husqvarna lawn mower, new carb last year, mower only 3 years old.

You won't ever convince me that ethanol fuel doesn't damage carbs. By the way, I worked as an International
Harvester mechanic all through college. So I have more than a little experience with engines and fuel
systems.

Bill

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #36  
Interesting list. Thanks. He is in North Concord so it would be Newport Ctr or Barre. Quite a way but places we go once in a while.
There was a Valero in St. J that had it but they shut down due to lack of business.

I've heard of guy's buying aviation gas at the local (little) airstrip for their saws and other small sngines, been told that it's expensive, high octane and no corn in it, but local.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #37  
The subsidies ended Jan 1,2012

Here in southern Indiana an ethanol plant 90% complete was scrapped when this took place. The government still mandates its use. I think it is more expensive to make a gallon of ethanol vs a gallon of gas but could be wrong. Fortunately we have two local stations that sell pure gas for all my carbureted engines including my boat, motorcycles, two cycle equip., etc. I have cleaned out too many aluminum carbs and now just don't risk it.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #38  
Where are these two stations? I might make a trip! I never had any problems until last year,and all the sudden gas lines were crumbling and all my saws are messed up.I've always used stabil,but nothing works anymore,and what is in this gas that burns your skin and turns it white??? Can't find real gas in Northern Kentucky.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #39  
Where are these two stations? I might make a trip! I never had any problems until last year,and all the sudden gas lines were crumbling and all my saws are messed up.I've always used stabil,but nothing works anymore,and what is in this gas that burns your skin and turns it white??? Can't find real gas in Northern Kentucky.

It has been posted already but look here http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=KY

I just searched evansville again and now there are three stations.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #40  
Thanks,but nothing even close to me.What gets me,is that they have to mix the ethanol in just before they deliver to the stations,so there is Real gas everywhere but they won't sell it.I would pay twice as much for some real gas!