Removing ethanol from gasoline

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #12  
Welfare? You have no idea what you are talking about!!

I understand the industry far more then you will ever comprehend. If they stoped the government subsidies tomorrow, there would not be a single ethanol plant operating by the end of the week. It is nothing more then another avenue to take tax payer dollars and place them in the hand of the ag producer or more specifically the corn grower. The livestock producers are hurt along with everyone else. If you want government welfare then stand in line and let everyone see you with your hand out.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #13  
The subsidies ended Jan 1,2012

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #14  
blucoondawg said:
Don't the gas stations near you carry premium gas with no ethanol? Here in WI almost all the premium sold is no eth however there are very few stations which sell no eth regular and the ones that do charge more for it now.

Here in Indiana its law that all grades of gas must have 10% ethanol. Alk grades. Its crap. Diesel must also have 3% bio. I have not seen any downside to that.

Chris

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #15  
Johnp33 said:
This is anouther one of the scare tactics BS, I have a cheap leaf blower that had fuel in it for 5 years and it started first pull, I admit I was amazed. I have never had a problem with ethanol in fuel or seen a cab that was damaged and I work on lots of equipment.
I am old enough to remember the BS that was spread, when they took out the lead in fuel, every engine was suppose to need a valve job, 100% BS
Ethanol in fuel is a detergent so if you fuel system is dirt, it will clean it out and your filters will get dirty.
When they removed the sulphur in diesel ethanol is the best lubricant, better that any aditive pacage, you can buy.

Work in the marine or small engine sector for a month and your attitude will change. I work in both part time. Anything with a carburetor is doomed unless used daily. Fuel injection fares much better.

Chris

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #16  
Like a couple others here, I'm not swallowing the scare stories. E10 has been the norm here for more than a decade. Have about 10 different engines in various pieces of equipment. Never have had an issue. Never drain fuel over the winter, just use a little Sta-bil. Engines start normally the following season. If you're having issues, I'd look elsewhere. But that's just me.

Change of topics. Don't confuse octane with energy contend, they are NOT related. Ethanol has higher octane and lower energy content than straight gasoline. E10 has approx 3.5% less energy than straight gasoline. All else being equal, I find it hard to believe one can tell accurately and repeatedly reduced fuel mileage via seat of the pants "testing". There is more variability in driving conditions that is as equal as the 3.5% reduction in energy content.

YMMV.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #17  
I have a friend that built a rig to remove the 10% ethanol from gas by adding water. He does 5 gal at a time. Adds 2 qts water and then drains off 1 gal water/ethanol. He uses the straight gas in his outboard, chainsaw, mower, etc. We went fishing yesterday and the outboard ran great.
My question is what happens to the octane level of the fuel when he does that. If he starts with 87 octane does it go up or down when the ethanol is removed ?? Just curious.

There a places around that sell gas without ethanol. Not sure where in the NEK but maybe you can find somewhere close.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
For a small engine that's not going to use much fuel using water to remove the ethanol may work but you'll want to add octane boost. You'll be paying about 10% higher for the gas (since you're throwing away the enthanol) and you have to buy an octane boost that doesn't have ethanol in it. Or you could buy super and just remove the ethanol.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #18  
Like a couple others here, I'm not swallowing the scare stories. E10 has been the norm here for more than a decade. Have about 10 different engines in various pieces of equipment. Never have had an issue. Never drain fuel over the winter, just use a little Sta-bil. Engines start normally the following season. If you're having issues, I'd look elsewhere. But that's just me.

Change of topics. Don't confuse octane with energy contend, they are NOT related. Ethanol has higher octane and lower energy content than straight gasoline. E10 has approx 3.5% less energy than straight gasoline. All else being equal, I find it hard to believe one can tell accurately and repeatedly reduced fuel mileage via seat of the pants "testing". There is more variability in driving conditions that is as equal as the 3.5% reduction in energy content.

YMMV.

We've lived with it for years in the wintertime. You can feel the difference between with and without it. That was at 5%. I'm not sure if 10% makes that much of a difference over 5% though. I do see a fuel mileage difference in my 2010 Subaru, it's actually pretty easy. With straight gas I average 33 to 34 mpg with Ethanol I'm lucky if I can get more than 30. To compare the two you need to do it when doing a routine. For me it's driving to work and back. I often use a whole tank driving the same pattern. You can't do it with one tank and you can do it if you have variables like traffic or if you don't drive the same roads. Even weather conditions make a difference.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline
There a places around that sell gas without ethanol. Not sure where in the NEK but maybe you can find somewhere close.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
For a small engine that's not going to use much fuel using water to remove the ethanol may work but you'll want to add octane boost. You'll be paying about 10% higher for the gas (since you're throwing away the enthanol) and you have to buy an octane boost that doesn't have ethanol in it. Or you could buy super and just remove the ethanol.

Interesting list. Thanks. He is in North Concord so it would be Newport Ctr or Barre. Quite a way but places we go once in a while.
There was a Valero in St. J that had it but they shut down due to lack of business.

/ Removing ethanol from gasoline #20  
We've lived with it for years in the wintertime. You can feel the difference between with and without it. That was at 5%. I'm not sure if 10% makes that much of a difference over 5% though. I do see a fuel mileage difference in my 2010 Subaru, it's actually pretty easy. With straight gas I average 33 to 34 mpg with Ethanol I'm lucky if I can get more than 30. To compare the two you need to do it when doing a routine. For me it's driving to work and back. I often use a whole tank driving the same pattern. You can't do it with one tank and you can do it if you have variables like traffic or if you don't drive the same roads. Even weather conditions make a difference.
I know there is a big difference when using e85 as compared to "normal" gasoline. Mileage is much less on e85 but runs a little smoother and somewhat better pick-up.