Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk?

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #11  
Thanks for the suggestions. I will retry tightening the end of the gun. I don't think the zero is blocked as the gun won't lock onto it, with gravity or a light pull it just slides off.

If tightening the end doesn't work, I'll buy a new end (if that's even possible in today's disposable society, I might need a new gun). I didn't know the ends could wear out and the gun isn't very old - but it was cheap!

most guns with hoses or rigid tubes DO have replaceable ends.. in fact.. I don't recall seeing one without.. even the 5$ ones at Harbor freight.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #12  
Thanks for the suggestions. ...

I didn't know the ends could wear out and the gun isn't very old - but it was cheap!

Bingo...I think we have a winner.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #13  
Also not mentioned, make sure the gun is going on fully. If you have been using it, there may be dirt gathered around the zerk and not allowing the gun to get fully on especially if the zerk is in a cavity. Clean around the zerk to remove all dirt and try that before replacing the gun end or the zerks. I have rarely seen a grease gun used enough by hobbist to wear them out.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #15  
I have rarely seen a grease gun used enough by hobbist to wear them out.

i've worn out 3 myself, all napa models.. many from years back before china mart was open. my current 2 guns i'm using, a hand grip pump and a lever gun. the hand grip is chaina mart.. and the lever is my last napa gun.

it's lower seal plunger is on the way out but still works.

both have been thru 2 hoses.

I havn't worn any ends out.. but then I use about 4 ends. 1 right angle.. 1 45 slide on, and 2 straight on, plus a needle type.. forgot tht one. so each end gets less use then each gun in whole.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #16  
So, when adjusting the grease gun nozzle, which way tightens its grip? Mine will grab on to some zerks so hard that its a struggle to get it off; on a clogged zerk, it becomes seriously stuck after I've applied a bunch of pressure to the hose. Without changing the nozzle adjustment, the nozzle just pops right off some other zerks -- even matching ones on the FEL (ie, so they should be the same size)-- or sometimes will hold onto the zerk just fine, but grease oozes out around the nozzle rather than going into/through the zerk. Man, what a frustrating mess when that happens!
BOB

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #17  
Yes you can get different ends . I had a buddy show me the difference between a 4 jaw coupler and a 3 jaw , the fingers inside the coupler . T HE FOUR JAW IS SUPERIOR . You may need to relax the the load on some pins or rotate them some .The problem is they fit these pins very tight without a machined groove for reliefof grease , saving money . I have noticed this on cheap builds . On most of what I run, the zerks are centered in the end of the pin and machined to accept lube . The problem you are having is the old drill a hole in the sleeve technology , stick a zerk in it that looks good . PROBLEM is they get very hard to deal with , they won'ttake grease . And a cheap grease gun is you're worst enemy .

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #18  
Yes you can get different ends . I had a buddy show me the difference between a 4 jaw coupler and a 3 jaw , the fingers inside the coupler . T HE FOUR JAW IS SUPERIOR .

Yes! Let me be the first to agree. The 4-jaw type is superior to the 3-jaw models. I have a $200 Lincoln electric that came with a 3-jaw. I changed to the 4-jaw and it works better. There are always tough zerks, but a 4-jaw is the best in my opinion. Also, I think sometimes electric guns are their own worst enemy. With a manual grease gun, I can feel when there is back pressure and apply gentle force that often breaks the clog. With an electric, it's all or nothing and the jaws spew before the zerk has a chance to clear. Everything has it's pluses and minuses.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #19  
Yes! Let me be the first to agree. The 4-jaw type is superior to the 3-jaw models. I have a $200 Lincoln electric that came with a 3-jaw. I changed to the 4-jaw and it works better. There are always tough zerks, but a 4-jaw is the best in my opinion. Also, I think sometimes electric guns are their own worst enemy. With a manual grease gun, I can feel when there is back pressure and apply gentle force that often breaks the clog. With an electric, it's all or nothing and the jaws spew before the zerk has a chance to clear. Everything has it's pluses and minuses.

Very true...mine is an air gun and you really don't know what kind of resistance your getting...pluses and minuses I guess.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #20  
i've worn out 3 myself, all napa models.. many from years back before china mart was open. my current 2 guns i'm using, a hand grip pump and a lever gun. the hand grip is chaina mart.. and the lever is my last napa gun.

it's lower seal plunger is on the way out but still works.

both have been thru 2 hoses.

I havn't worn any ends out.. but then I use about 4 ends. 1 right angle.. 1 45 slide on, and 2 straight on, plus a needle type.. forgot tht one. so each end gets less use then each gun in whole.
I sure hope you don't consider yourself a hobbist person with all the tractors and equipment that you run (I count 23 in your avatar) Even when we farmed, ran cotton pickers and combines, I never wore out a grease gun tip. I would go thru 4 or 5 of the 5 gallon pails of spindle grease per year plus what ever we used with tube type grease guns. The gun I used to grease the cotton picker held 5 gallons of grease but it wasn't the type that used the pail. It looked like an army Gerry can with pump and hose on it.