Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk?

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #21  
since i'm not in business I consider myself a hobbiest.

even so.. I've worn out grease guns but the tips didn't go before the gun. Muyst pe some bad tips.. opr people adjusting them way too tight to wear them out nowadays.

my batwing mower must have 30 grease fittings on it. takes more than a tube to hit every one.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk?
OP here. I took the advice and bought a new end - with 4 jaws. Problem solved.

The original end must have been faulty as I had probably only ever put 2-3 tubes of grease through it. On the new end, the jaws are visible, on the old one they are practically invisible.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #23  
yep.. probbaly bad oe end.

nice avatar.. i have mules and horses.. no donks though...

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #24  
OP here. I took the advice and bought a new end - with 4 jaws. Problem solved.

Where did you find it. All the ones I'm seeing around here are cheapo 3 jawed.

Thanks, DEWFPO

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #25  
tsc sells them.

i saw many hits on amazon, ebay..e tc.

if tsc has them.. count on napa and other tool stores as well.....

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #26  
Why are those grease gun tips so darned tight when you get them. Was at my B.I.L.'s yesterday and helping him grease his FEL and tractor and it was hard to get the tip off so I was trying to loosen up the end for adjustment. I had to use a vise and tighten it so tight that I thought it was going to crush the tip to keep it from turning. Vise and a 12" crescent and lots of muscle to get it to break loose so I could adjust it. Every manufacturer must have 1200# gorilla to tighten stuff like oil plugs, oil filters and grease gun tips.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #27  
Where did you find it. All the ones I'm seeing around here are cheapo 3 jawed.

Thanks, DEWFPO

Most auto supply you are looking for Lincoln Heavy Duty Coupler part # 5845

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #28  
Thanks for the sources. I'll see what I can find.

DEWFPO

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #29  
Why are those grease gun tips so darned tight when you get them. Was at my B.I.L.'s yesterday and helping him grease his FEL and tractor and it was hard to get the tip off so I was trying to loosen up the end for adjustment. I had to use a vise and tighten it so tight that I thought it was going to crush the tip to keep it from turning. Vise and a 12" crescent and lots of muscle to get it to break loose so I could adjust it. Every manufacturer must have 1200# gorilla to tighten stuff like oil plugs, oil filters and grease gun tips.

Beats the heck out of me, all of I have bought new I have to put in a vise and take a pair of vice grips or channel locks to the tip piece.. I guess it is the law you have to use a 600ft lb air impact to cinch em up.:)

James K0UA

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #30  
same guy that used the air impact wrench on lug nuts at the service station till the compressor stalls must put them tips on.. :)