Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess?

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #11  
Here's what I do on my sawmill (may or may not be helpful in your situation). I put a right angle elbow in place of the drain plug. It drains the oil into a conical top container.

Attachments

• P1020350.JPG
    P1020350.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 181
   / Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #12  
I cut the bottom off a 45 gal. plastic barrel about 10" from the base to catch the oil from my equipment. Still end up using some sawdust to soak up the spills.

And one thing you have plenty of is sawdust Bill.... :D

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #13  
I don't know how some people can change oil without a drop of it on the floor. I don't have the ability or is it a skill? I know a guy who will paint whole house and has no drop of paint on himself or floor. I would be covered. So changing oil and hydraulic fluid is a challenge. Specifically, when filling empty containers (buckets) with used fluids I always spill some. I am thinking about replacing the drain plugs with something like a hydraulic coupling automatic valve that would open when a hose is attached to it. I was looking at Fumoto or EZ Oil but don't like the lever operated valve because it might open for example by a branch catching on it. Then I found No Spill Drain Valve and Oil Drain Products and Parts | No-Spill Systems . It is somewhat expensive so I would ask what do you guys think? The only thing that somewhat worries me is the material. I am afraid it would deform and leak when smashed on something. I would prefer steel or stainless steel or have a guard integrated into the plug.
CAT LITTER-cheapest you can buy !!!!!!!!

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #14  
I make a LOT of shop messes. Oils and fuels of every kind. I used to buy the cheapest thing I could get. Now I buy the most expensive Floor-Dri that O'Reilly's has. I rarely have to throw any away. Small puddles, it'll suck up many of them before it's totally saturated. So, to contradict what I just said, NOW I buy the cheapest thing I can get, which is the expensive stuff. :)

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess?
Here's what I do on my sawmill (may or may not be helpful in your situation). I put a right angle elbow in place of the drain plug. It drains the oil into a conical top container.

I have something similar on our mower. I have screwdriver operated ball valve between the elbow and the crankcase.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #16  
I have been sucking it out then taking the drain plug out for years now. Takes longer, but you just plug the air in and walk away. I have one like this that i use for coolant and a larger one we use for oils.oil ex.jpg

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #17  
You don't. Murphy's law says so.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #18  
It's a piece of cake. I drain oil into a cement mixing tub I got at Lowe's. It will hold maybe 10 gallons but I can only handle maybe 5 so I plug up and empty if doing a transmission, etc. Wear rubber gloves.

For filling, I only use 5 gallon buckets and this "pail tipper" I found. Everyone needs one of these. I rarely spill even a drop. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ve-pail-tipper-5-a.html?highlight=pail+tipper

That combo of big drain tub and pail tipper and the livin' is easy.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #19  
Quite a while ago I looked at those auto drain systems and wasn't that impressed. They appear to be designed mainly for over-the-road vehicles and not tractors.

The one linked above llists JD, MF, Kubota, and Yanmar in their catalogue. Also checked and all of my passenger cars are covered.

I would really question any system that hangs down further than my OEM drain plug(s). I fear it would get wiped off, crushed or accidentally opened while in the field.

Their compact model doesn't hang down at all. You'd have to really work at it to damage it in a way that would not have also damaged the stock plug. Their standard model doesn't hang down much more, but I could see it being a problem if you worked at it. It's only about 1/2" or 3/4", though.

/ Hiow do you change oil and hydraulic fluid without a mess? #20  
You know - I looked at one brand, many years ago and things could have easily changed or the ones I looked at may have only been for cars/trucks. In any case, a good system could save you from the "hot oil up to the armpit" situation and the potential of stripping the threads on these new OEM plastic drain plugs.