GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #1  

teddydo

Silver Member
Tractor
4330 Kubota, 600 ford
Mike, on the bobistheoilguy weblite there is an interesting article with GM engineering making comments on oil. I was surprised to read that they do not like amsoil, although maybe I shouldn't be. I'll bet you have already read it and simply wondered your thoughts...teddy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #2  
Nope, did not read it. Give me the link and I will. I kind of have an idea of what it will be since I have read the posts on GM and other manufactures on synthetic oils.

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #4  
Very informative thread.
It does justify what I have said about some new cars coming with MObil 1 in them. It is required to compensate for other close engineering margins, and would not be required if the car had an oil cooler. And is not required for normal to moderate driving.
Ben

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #5  
My comment is he works for GM for 33 years, joke. Gm has wonderful quality and the short warranty on there cars. My wife had a GM car and I went 3 times past the oil sensor light with a synthetic and the oil was fine. Hmmm. I can’t list all the issues with the car since this forum would have no server space.

Based on working with engineers (since I am one), most times when being in one place that long, most are stuck in their ways, big time. We, younger guys seem to be more open and ask why, not just do it. Also GM, need I say more. Step over in aerospace world and see how to design engines. I have seen plenty of auto engineers come to aerospace and they can’t design a blade or burner casing to save their life.

I question the validity of his statements since he posts ZERO from specs (SAE, GM, ASTM, Mil etc). He post nothing on analysis either. So I guess my oil tests are all hype and the oil tests showing better numbers mean nothing. I guess the many people are doing longer drain safely are all liers. Nevermind that many have been doing extended drains longer then I have been alive means nothing. He has some good points but do not focus on the oil.

I love why he states diesel vs gas engines. He states “Simple answer....fuel economy”. I am not auto engineer and there is more to it then that. Next he will say all jet engines are the same.

Or I like the "Their claims of long change intervals are completely nonsense. " ok, sure.

Also the depletion of ZDDP is not linear. Even I know that. He knocks synthetic when some of their own cars have synthetic oils installed in them. I also believe that some can go up to like 15K on the Mobil oil. If a corvette needs synthetic and some other cars do not, what does that tell you? But then on the other hand he is knocking synthetic oil like crazy. He knocks, Amsoil which is fine, but when an engineer does not look past the market and not on facts, time to go to some engineering classes.

In the end, many manufactures do not like synthetic let alone Amsoil. I find it funny that Lexus is going to all synthetic very soon. Nevermind the higher ends cars that go a lot longer on drains.

He seems more like a PR engineer in my book.

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #6  
<font color="blue">My comment is he works for GM for 33 years, joke </font>

Mike come on now. His opinion cotrasts with your well known opinion, but do we call yours a joke, well, bad example. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #7  
the joke here is that being an engineer means nothing without data. He posts zero on anything, no spec no nothing . All I read is what he thinks, not data. At the very least I post oil tests or what spec of coolant you need for a diesel.

Unless he designs by the seat-of-his-pants, he must conform to standards, which he states not one. He does not state one in 5 pages on talking...Nice way to promote GM.

Again this is why I am trying to stop posting on oil debates on this forum.

PS. if you saw what I do in meetings, designs and the money if cost, it is a joke. I have seen GM quality first hand and if I worked there for 33 years, well, figure it out. I would not be telling people in a bio online that I worked there for 33 years either.

To close, you or anyone does not call it a joke as I stated. It comes in other forms. Most times people go back to dino since it was always worked in the past or the manufacture recommends...... They have no real data to support anything or why, just take it as set in stone.

Again really could careless what people post etc since I am one of the select few on this forum that have posted oil test, spec why, how come. etc etc. Most times on this forum it goes back to a few people saying the same old blah blah without anything to back it up. I am not going to name the people either since it is pointless.

Use whatever oil you wish, but again I want the very best for my little bx22 or my auto and it is not dino. But again, people need to see if for themselves or be told to use it. But then again, the price of it and if you can't buy it on "Rollback", there is gonna be issues.

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #8  
Actually Mike, I gave the link look but not sure what to look for. I know that you know that I know I am doing some leg pulling here. When you talk about wells, the subject can be deep, with oil, it gets slippery. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #9  
OK...I give up!

How about a link directly to the article? I looked twice, but failed to find the article referred too...unless I did and did not realize it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

How about a direct pointer for us slow guys? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif