GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike
Moon, Overkill I don't think so. Probably a lot of heat in that engine in the hot summer. Could get something stopped up and get a little hotter than it should. And don't you just hate the down time that some goood oil that hold up well in extreme conditions can prevent. I like the red line, I have mobile one in my generator but that was before I found out about redline. Mobile one just looks a little thin, 10w30 to me. I would use it in my 4330 Kubota but I think I get a lot of dust and stuff in there that would make me change it before I get the full use of the oil. Yes I will enjoy the testing.......teddy

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #22  
I'd like to make a point about synthetic oils that no one has yet brought up. That is the margin of safety.

I agree that a dino oil will protect your diesel and do a good job under normal conditions, at manufacturer specified change intervals. And I think we can all agree that there may be some benefit and there is certainly no harm in somewhat more frequent changes.

Dino oil is in my experience only at a big disadvantage when things go wrong. For example, if you puncture your oil pan and lose all the oil your motor will sieze and be a total loss within seconds with dino oil. With synthetic it will continue running without damage under light load until shut down. BIG DIFFERENCE, potentially over $10,000 difference.

If you have a serious overheat issue - same thing. Synthetic lubed engines will overheat until the pistons melt but they will not seize up as a rule. That gives a huge margin of safety from fatal damage. I have seen engines with sagged piston crowns that still cranked over fine with no lower end damage thanks to synthetics. Dino oil and these motors would be total losses. Again a big difference.

Another benefit of synthetics concerns engine cleanliness. Synthetic oils of a given grade flow through an engine more rapidly because they are more pumpable for a given weight. Furthermore, synthetic base stocks have a higher strength than dino base stocks, so a lighter base oil can be used for a given strength requirement. That further increases pumpability.

That increased pumpability is most commonly discussed in terms of improving fuel economy by reducing the horsepower requirement of the oil pump. But it also affects engine cleanliness.

The increased flow rate means that there is considerably more spray lubriaction in a synthetic oiled motor, and that means there is less tendency for crud to remain deposits on internal parts because they are being washed at a higher rate. This is one reason synthetic lubed engines are cleaner inside on teardown.

Several posts in this thread ask for facts or qualifications of the poster. My company is an authorized service agent for Robert Bosch Automotive Systems, the worlds leading maker of diesel fuel injection systems and components. I've run a service department using synthetic lubricants for about 20 years. We service thousands of vehicles, many of which run synthetic lubricants. We have extensive experience tearing down and repairing automotive systems with all types of lubricants. We're online here

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/ser_dept.asp

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the joke here is that being an engineer means nothing without data. He posts zero on anything, no spec no nothing . All I read is what he thinks, not data. ............ )</font>

LOL New to the internet? A wonderful place where anyone can make any claims they want to......regardless of truth..........facts only confuse the issue........and yet many will believe........

Sorry for the ribbing, I couldn't resist.

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #24  
with oil analysis I can go 7000 on my 03 PSD no prob, the TBN is still pretty high,(Mobil Delvac 15w40) starts at 12 and is at around 8
after 7000 K, maybe I'll push for 10K /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GM's just mad because the knowledge is out on extended oil useage and its probobly killing there little cash cow, There "every 3000 mile oil change racket".

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #25  
<font color="blue"> GM's just mad because the knowledge is out on extended oil useage and its probobly killing there little cash cow, There "every 3000 mile oil change racket". </font>
Huh? Exactly how does GM make money from an oil change? Their dealers might (if people had the oil change done at a GM dealer), but not GM.

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike #26  
I do warn, I try to think but nothing happens...

/ GM oil engineers oil test cc: Mike
It is interesting as to the quick drains. Only thing that comes to mind is they are coverng their behinds well with an overkill on service. I have never had a dealer service a vehickle for me but I just imagine that they find many other things to spend money on once they get you in there. Back to the extended drains, they have been working well for me for about three years now. I now change my coolant at 50000 miles and will see if the water pump lasts longer on my toyota. 100000 usually wipes them out for me. And I use the toyota coolant, antifreeze. Once I learn everything I need I will be to old to need a vehicle..........luck to all teddydo