using summer diesel fuel in the winter

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #11  
<font color="red"> I don't think diesel will gell up until the temp gets down to about 5 to 10 above </font>

Don't believe that for one second!! Summer diesel WILL gel at 32. Been there done that got the hat more than once. If you have summer diesel it will gel at 32 I guarantee you that. If it's mid blend treated you will be good down to 5 or so but summer blend it gels at freezing. It only takes a little bit of gelling to cause blockage.

As far as powerservice it is an anti-algae and anti-gel formula. They make several different types. Get the stuff in the white, red, and black bottle. That's the one that will do both.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #12  
Gelling at +32?? I'm not saying it can't happen but I think that is an extreme case. I would be thinking about getting a new fuel supplier if that happened to me. That fuel sounds about one step removed from paraffin bars. When we hauled fuel, the pipeline put out a brochure that said their #2 clouded (not gelled) at +12F.

If in doubt about your fuel, put a sample in a glass container and leave it with the piece of equipment then look at it before you start. If you've got a layer of wax in the sample, it would be wise to warm up your tractor/truck/whatever unless you like priming injection systems.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #13  
Richard.....I'm back, in the new house and new wireless laptop too.

In as much as diesel fuel, well, you and I buy in bulk and I try to fill my above ground storage tank when I think the price is lowest and that may be in warm months or cold months. Right now I have about 100 gallons left but the price is dropping so maybe after the New Year I'll order a tankwagon load.

Anyway, I dose my bulk tank whenever I have it filled with a commercial biocide that I get from my fuel supplier. It's brown and stinks and I can't remember the name of it but it comes in a translucent plastic bottle that looks similar to the one that Stabil comes in. I also add powerservice in the recommended amount and a little ATF, about 2 gallons to every thousand of fuel.

A little note here on biodiesel, a fuel which is going to become more economically desireable with the gummit incentives lowering the consumer cost. B20 has about the same characteristics as No.2 from what I have been told, however, concentrations in the excess of 20% by volume require pre-heated coolant below freezing or the addition of a starting agent to initiate combustion. I have a good friend who runs a large dairy farm north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Two winters ago he was using 30% and had to build a fire in his charcoal cooker and put it under the oil pan to get his tractors running.

I've never had any algae or gelling problems but I do treat my fuel as my fuel sits in storage for long periods.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #14  
I am like you I have never heard of diesel gelling at 32. I am not saying it can't happen. We don't use blended fuel in our semi. We do add some power service to the tank when the temp drops way down and we have tank heaters. Maybe we have just been lucky so far. I dont use a tractor too much when the temp drops down that cold, but when I do I add some power service too the tank.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #15  
Add powerservice and go.

Soundguy

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #16  
Mike:

I thought Sta-Bil was for lawnmower racing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #17  
<font color="blue"> I always pour Power Service into my 5 gallon containers before I fill them.
</font>

How much Power Service do you put in a 5 Gal. can?

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #18  
<font color="blue"> How much Power Service do you put in a 5 Gal. can? </font>
Whatever amount the instructions call for. Probably about half a shot glass.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #19  
<font color="blue"> I thought Sta-Bil was for lawnmower racing. </font>
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #20  
I recenty added it to mine, used 2oz for the 5gal tank. Your better off rounding up in this case. I would rather have a little too much than too little. The bottle says 32oz will do 100gal.