using summer diesel fuel in the winter

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #21  
Can add straight kerosine to diesel to winterize it.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #22  
Hey Daryl it's great to see you back around. How was your hay season? Ours absolutely sucked!

As far as fuel gelling below 32 it's happened to me three different times. Two times we were down south and fueled up coming back north. Stopped overnight and gelled the next morning with temps around 28. Happened to me about three years ago here. We got a cold snap in October. I had fueled up at the local diesel shop the night before. Got down to 26 and I was gelled the next morning. Now I never even chance it anymore. I just add powerservice with every fill up if the temp is even close to freezing.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #23  
Are you sure it wasn't water?

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #24  
Richard:

This is off post, but...not bad considering we are in a continuing drought condition. First cut was tremendous, second was below average and third was good. I cut third later than usual and didn't get a fourth. The weather wasn't cooperating and I was running out of degree days. Our fertlizer costs have gone over the top at $60.00 + per acre. I am breaking even and that's about all. Without equipment depreciation and other write off's, I'd probably be running in the red. How's your practice doing? Good, I hope. I missed posting but really had no computer access in the RV while our home was remodeled. All is good now.

On thread:

I'm waiting out the fuel bubble to fill my bulk tank. On road prices here are around $2.60 so ORD should be about $1.95 + the recovery surcharge. I'm looking in the range of $1.50-$1.70 for ORD and then I'll fill up. Of course the load will get the algaecide and some PowerService along with a couple of quarts of Dexron III Mercon.

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought Sta-Bil was for lawnmower racing. )</font>

I'll tell you guys and gals something here, I have watched a lot of different kinds of racing in person, from alcohol funny cars to tractor pulls, and some of the best races that I have ever been to (not to mention THE MOST COMPETITIVE) were lawnmower races!

ps... they are not "lawnmower races", they are "grass car races". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #26  
That was a pun, the Sta-Bil comment.

My wife and I have watched them at the fairgrounds too.

Takes a lot of guts to race a modified lawn tractor with no suspension, probably a double trussed athletic supporter too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #27  
to 5030:

I was not singling you out in any way, just stating that lawnmower races were surprisingly fun.

As I have gotten older and into bigger and faster toys I find myself remembering how much fun a simple lawnmower powered mini-bike was. I got cajoled into riding one of those fat-tired mini-bikes that TSC sells and my wife said that had a grin that was a mile wide the whole time that I rode it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #28  
Not a problem. I'm to old to race a lawnmower and I don't think I can bend my knees far enough to sit on a mini bike. I have enough trouble riding my motorcycle any distance. Maybe I could get my wife out of the sidecar and I can ride in the sidecar and she can drive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ using summer diesel fuel in the winter #29  
Hi Guys,
I always had problems with outside home heating oil tanks not flowing below 20 degrees. The best cure I had for that after clearing out the oil lines with a CO2 gun was to add kerosene to the tank. In the summer we would run heating oil in the delivery trucks and in the winter we would blend heating oil and kerosene at a ratio of 10 gals oil to 1 gal of kero and run that in the trucks as well as the town school buses with no freeze ups. We also added conditioner to keep away any moisture problems. For this winter I will be buying winter blend diesel but next spring I'm going to buy a tank and blend my own diesel.

Rick