Tires Turf or Industrial tires?

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #11  
I've been mowing my yard with R4's on a B2400 for 6 years and not had any real problem. I don't use 4-wheel drive unless the tires start to spin on wet grass but even then the damage isn't too bad. I had turfs on my last tractor and if I used it anywhere else except on the yard, like out in the pasture, you could almost guarantee a flat. For me it's a no brainer, get the R4's.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #12  
To anyone who says Turfs are worthless for anything but mowing, I couldn't disagree more.

I have moved over 120 yards of material in the short amount of time I've owned my 7510 (15 hrs!) and I don't regret the turfs at all. I can sneak across the lawn multiple times with a bucket load of material without leaving marks, and I don't need chains in the winter to push (no blower, FEL only!) snow.

If it was 2wd, I wouldn't get turfs. If it's 4wd, by all means.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #13  
With turfs and a FEL; 6 ply should be an option.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #14  
I have loaded rears (turfs) on my 7610. Loaded is the key...adds about 400#s. Doing loader work without a heavy implement or ballast off the back would be tough. Turfs are actually pretty good until you hit mud. Once you start spinning, you're done for.
The treads fill up with mud and turfs become slicks.

I have a set of chains on the trufs now and they really help. Plus they leave no visible mark at all in the lawn. A set of 2 link chains is about $150 for my size tire and gives you the best of both worlds.

If I were doing it over, I'd still be debating turfs vs. R4s

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #15  
53gravely is right on that turfs are no good in mud. Everywhere else they work just fine. I've put my little BX to the torture test in everyway. Sure I'd like an easy change switch to have a more aggressive threaded tire for about 5 % of the jobs I do but for the other 95 % the turfs work good and that includes snow work.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #16  
Kris, I will only comment on the turf tires on my JD 2520 as my only other experience is with ag tires. I bought them because the R4's were not recommended for use with a belly mower. They are working great for loader work and plowing snow. They are very kind to my yard and woods where most of the work is done. I am very satisfied with the traction they get.

Dan

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #17  
I'd like to help confuse you further, but I'm an Ag man. I just picked up a JD 240 mower at auction with bar tread (Ag style) rears. It will climb some hills on my lawn that the Cadet with it's block tread semi turfs won't.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #18  
My old tractor (B7200D) had turfs. I was honestly surprised at how well they did. They were, however, totally useless on wet grass, wet (greasy) clay, or snow. Nothing like sitting in the snow slowly spinning all four tires, at the far end of the driveway. I sold that and bought a B8200D with a loader and ags. It will tear up the lawn something fierce if you go out when the ground is very wet, but is nearly unstoppable the rest of the time. I bought a lanwmower to mow with, and the tractor to use as a tractor.

/ Turf or Industrial tires? #19  
Here's an interesting looking tire. I heard the called "bar turfs".
They look great for snow, wet grass, and light mud but they may bugger up the lawn in a tight turn?

Anyone got them? could you comment?

Attachments

• Bar truf 3.jpg
    Bar truf 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 186
   / Turf or Industrial tires? #20  
I used turfs for 6 yrs. I plowed snow, did a lot of FEL work, mowed lawn and fields and they peformed will for me. I did have a few flats on the front while mowing multiflura rose but I can't blame the turfs on that.