TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,901  
I have left mine on before I have to admit, but it usually is only for a few feet. Usually when I change direction is when I notice. I agree your 8540 is a nice looking machine and the rear tires are perfect for that tractor.
Thank I definitely like the tires. Seems like most owners know their tractors and recognize this quickly, but when other people use their tractors spouses/ friends they don't realize its been left on as quickly if at all :D Thats what happened to a coworkers JD 4300 oops his visiting relative not notice it was low on power or did'nt want to move well.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,902  
Those little articulating 4wd's look sweet and would definitely make a nice tractor for getting firewood. Having Big tires front and rear would be nice only thing i would want would be Rops
I've got plenty of firewood (at least two winter's worth) but the big blow we had last week dropped a couple of big trunks out of a clump of maple behind my daughter's place and I just couldn't stand to let them lay there.

guidowood.jpg

So I hooked up my new-to-me Pasquali 986 to the dump trailer and went and cut them up. There's more back there, but it was a lot softer than I thought it would be and I darn near didn't get out with this load, so I'll let it lay until it freezes a little harder.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,903  
after.jpg

I've got plenty of firewood (at least two winter's worth) but the big blow we had last week dropped a couple of big trunks out of a clump of maple behind my daughter's place and I just couldn't stand to let them lay there.

guidowood.jpg

So I hooked up my new-to-me Pasquali 986 to the dump trailer and went and cut them up. There's more back there, but it was a lot softer than I thought it would be and I darn near didn't get out with this load, so I'll let it lay until it freezes a little harder.

That is one Rad looking machine.

Larro

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,904  
Those little articulating 4wd's look sweet and would definitely make a nice tractor for getting firewood. Having Big tires front and rear would be nice only thing i would want would be Rops

The big reason I went after that dab of firewood is that I wanted to see how it did in the woods. Overall, I'm impressed, but there are three shortcomings of varying severity:

1. It's a miserable Esso Bee to steer, and it gets worse when you lock the front differential. It REALLY needs power steering in the woods.

2. Ground clearance is extremely limited. If you can't go around small obstacles, you can alleviate that by taking advantage of the articulation by running one side or the other over things that you'd hang up on if you straddled them.

3. At full turn, the inside front tire very nearly hits the footboards. If you're not paying attention to where your feet are, you could mess up a foot pretty badly.

On the plus side, the 9 gears and locking differential pretty much allow you to go anywhere you have clearance, and that 20 HP single cylinder diesel lugged that loaded trailer out of there no problem and up about a 30% grade without bumping the throttle above a decent idle. In the first of 9 gears, you'd need a calendar to time it over the quarter mile, and in top gear it'll do about 15MPH down the road.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,905  
That is one Rad looking machine.

Larro

Thanks. I've seen one other and that was years ago. I got some pretty funny double-takes running down the road with it this morning. :laughing:

I had been looking for a trailer tugger for a while. My 1938 Farmall F14 had been doing that duty, but it's a real pain in the sitter to start when it's damp out. When I spotted it with a For Sale sign on it I pretty near flat-spotted the tires on the car getting stopped. I'd been looking at it for about 5 minutes when another feller I know stopped to look at it too. He's been hauling wood with a Super C Farmall and has scared the whey out of himself with it a couple of times.

I felt kinda bad beating him to it, and even considered letting him have it and buying his Super C. Until I looked at it, if ya know what I mean. I had my top dollar in mind and when I asked the guy what he wanted for it he was $500 under that, so I told him "Don't go away, I gotta run back to the house and raid the cookie jar, I'll be right back!"

All I've done to it is fix the exhaust, put a new battery in it and replace the throttle and stop cables.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,906  
The big reason I went after that dab of firewood is that I wanted to see how it did in the woods. Overall, I'm impressed, but there are three shortcomings of varying severity:

1. It's a miserable Esso Bee to steer, and it gets worse when you lock the front differential. It REALLY needs power steering in the woods.

2. Ground clearance is extremely limited. If you can't go around small obstacles, you can alleviate that by taking advantage of the articulation by running one side or the other over things that you'd hang up on if you straddled them.

3. At full turn, the inside front tire very nearly hits the footboards. If you're not paying attention to where your feet are, you could mess up a foot pretty badly.

On the plus side, the 9 gears and locking differential pretty much allow you to go anywhere you have clearance, and that 20 HP single cylinder diesel lugged that loaded trailer out of there no problem and up about a 30% grade without bumping the throttle above a decent idle. In the first of 9 gears, you'd need a calendar to time it over the quarter mile, and in top gear it'll do about 15MPH down the road.
what does it do on Icy snow? Does it need chains? That is a fine looking machine. I would be proud to go get a load with that!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,907  
We rearranged a few of the metal ghettos to work on them. It was mighty cold for November.

photo2_zps8633cd15.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,908  
what does it do on Icy snow? Does it need chains? That is a fine looking machine. I would be proud to go get a load with that!

That, Sir, is an excellent question. I just got it late this Summer, so I don't know. It's not awfully heavy, so I expect chains would be a big help.

I don't really need another way to move snow, but I may just put an ATV-sized plow on it just because I can.

If/when we ever get any snow, I'll report back on it.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,909  
We rearranged a few of the metal ghettos to work on them. It was mighty cold for November.

photo2_zps8633cd15.jpg
What are you doing to the old Airstreams? I have a 1964 Land Yacht that I've towed many, many miles. That looks like a nice polish job on the one in the background. I can't see enough to tell. but it looks much like mine.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,910  
What are you doing to the old Airstreams? I have a 1964 Land Yacht that I've towed many, many miles. That looks like a nice polish job on the one in the background. I can't see enough to tell. but it looks much like mine.
My brother and I have 3 1966's that we are restoring. The little caravelle 17 footer in the background was professionally polished by P&S. We have had bought and sold several Airstreams and these are the ones we kept for personal use. We enjoy fixing them up and just love the little single axle models.
Heres the 22 foot safari being towed.

IMG_4860.jpg