Get the CAB!

/ Get the CAB! #31  
Like anything else, cabs have their good and bad points. For the hobby work on my own land, they're not needed and probably wouldn't work anyway. Too many trees to work around and, like another said, if the conditions are miserable enough, the work gets left 'til later.

For professional usage, it's a different matter. The work must get done and you can't pick and choose the conditions in which you do it. Cabs have kept me in the field and working when wind, rain, blowing dust and cold would've driven me out. They're a definite advantage in this setting, but come with continuing costs.

At this latitude, heat is not a huge problem but, with a cab, an air conditioner will be needed in any season other than winter. This can be a no-go item in warm weather; especially if the cab windows cannot be fully opened. It's the air conditioning reliability aspect that, in my mind, limits the choice of cabbed tractors to new/late models. Keeping a 20 yr. old AC system working on an otherwise capable tractor demands resources and skills many lack. So if you think you want one, plan on buying new (or nearly so) and trading before the climatic system goes south. Somehow I think that approach would be acceptable to most here.
FWIW
Bob

/ Get the CAB! #32  
Last week the afternoon temps were already breaking the 100 degree mark. Of course, last week I still had my open station tractor too. Now that we are in the mid-90's, I finally have a cab. Boy, I sure would have appreciated that AC a little more last week. :D

If a person doesn't want to maintain the AC system past a certain point, he can always remove all the glass from a cab tractor and essentially convert it to an open station with a roll cage instead of a roll bar. :) Myself, I'll be looking at the extended warranty.

/ Get the CAB! #33  
This is my first tractor with a cab. After spending years mowing 2 acres of lawn, 3+ miles of walking trails in hot, muggy, buggy conditions and plowing snow (front mounted) on a 1/2+ mile driveway in fridged weather in the open, the cab was worth every penny!

Being a long term investment, I view the cab no differently than any other option - 4 remotes, tnt, draft, etc. all of which make "tractor time" that much more enjoyable. In my case it meant holding off purchasing a "wish list" attachment; it's easier adding an attachment than a cab at a later date.

Rik

/ Get the CAB! #34  
Rik is quite right about a "factory cab" I have seen a DK65c? after a tree fell on it. the driver would have died wo the cab. the tree would have landed right on his lap. I have a farm and a day job that I can get called in at all times. with 1500' of driveway and a posibility of ice storms I see my life far more important. I have seen what a good ice storm can do. if your playing in suberbia you probably wont need a cab. if you have any ammount of property its worth every penny.

The aftermarket cabs are nice but lack the same saftey as the factory units. most coexist with the rops not replace it. a nice aftermarket cab could give many benifits if it is built well.

the sad part is to many people take for gantet what could harm their health. I hate hearing about preventable damage. one old guy who used to play paintball when i was younger forgot his mask and the quote was "ah who cares i have a bad eye any ways its not like it will matter" about 2 hrs later he became nearly blind in both eyes. I cant remember if he lost site all together or not. it all adds up just ask a old coal miner.

/ Get the CAB! #35  
Cab or no cab? Only one answer to that question, and that answer can only be answered by one person. The person who is spending his or her money. My wife and I have as a 3rd car a small 2 passenger convertable. It serves as our 4wheeled mororcycle and we enjoy it a lot, but now after reading some of these comments regarding fools and their money or question of manhood, perhaps on those 100 degree days when the sun wants to fry eggs, I need to make sure the top is down. After all, real men just sweat it out, right? No air conditioning or comfort features allowed. Can't be thought of as girly.
Oh and speaking of paintball. I went 48 years being able to brag about never knowing what a broken bone feels like, that is until that day when I let my son talk me into playing paint ball. I'm a Viet Nam veteran, infantry medic. Been there, done that right? no problem. Man I broke my left ankle running down that hill. Kendrick, I promise not to take things for granted any more.. that thing 10 years later still hurts....

/ Get the CAB! #36  
WOW... Neighbor was baling hay yesterday next to the golf course fairway... I'm picking up golf balls... he stops, opens the door on the JD tractor and I step in... WOW climat control is great! He has 3 JD cab tractors plus a couple open station tractors. Stacked round bales 3 high in my barn using a skidsteer... I asked how he did it and he grinned and said skill! Got to love dairy farmers!

mark

/ Get the CAB! #37  
mjarrels said:
WOW... Neighbor was baling hay yesterday Stacked round bales 3 high in my barn using a skidsteer... I asked how he did it and he grinned and said skill! Mark

I stack round bales 3 high with either pallet forks or hay spike using my 39 HP (PTO) Kubota CUT. It really isn't hard. Even with a full size tractor I couldn't go higher due to trusses in the way.

Pat

/ Get the CAB! #38  
Yes Glowplug you should have gotten the cab option

/ Get the CAB! #39  
Crash101 said:
Cab or no cab? Only one answer to that question, and that answer can only be answered by one person. The person who is spending his or her money. My wife and I have as a 3rd car a small 2 passenger convertable. It serves as our 4wheeled mororcycle and we enjoy it a lot, but now after reading some of these comments regarding fools and their money or question of manhood, perhaps on those 100 degree days when the sun wants to fry eggs, I need to make sure the top is down. After all, real men just sweat it out, right? No air conditioning or comfort features allowed. Can't be thought of as girly.
Oh and speaking of paintball. I went 48 years being able to brag about never knowing what a broken bone feels like, that is until that day when I let my son talk me into playing paint ball. I'm a Viet Nam veteran, infantry medic. Been there, done that right? no problem. Man I broke my left ankle running down that hill. Kendrick, I promise not to take things for granted any more.. that thing 10 years later still hurts....

It's girly only if you run the A/C with the top down on your convertible...:D

OPEN STATION forever...:rolleyes:

/ Get the CAB! #40  
Re: bKvtvu WW Wk tHB vYxb wo

At least the 2nd time today that this idiot spammer has dragged up a 4+ year old thread.
Administrators & moderators, please check out the entire forum. There's a ton of this junk today.

They deleted the post, but your quote means that it lives on. Please just report it as spam, dont quote it.

Thanks

Aaron Z