Preping for new lawn

/ Preping for new lawn #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have some area around the house I want to plant lawn in this fall. I was planning on hitting it with a disk a couple times in august and sept before planting. Should I hit it with Round-up first?

The reason for disking several times is because I thought I remember some people saying on here that it will turn up the seed that is deep and allow it to germinate. After doing this several times the ground should be faily devoid of weed seed. Would I just be beter off living my chemistry. Spray with Round-up, disk, plant and next year hit it with 2-4D.

I am trying to plan ahead to have this ready to plant end of Sept-early Oct.

/ Preping for new lawn #2  
Pending the type of soil, I would not work it much.

In the soil around me (pretty heavy) I would round up 3 weeks prior to planting. Disk it up lightly after the plants have died. I would leave it sit a week, and level the soil with a drag. Plant your grass then clutipack.

There are endless seeds in the soil and you will never turn them up enough to get them removed. Its best not to disturb much. That is part of the reason no til is popular, you stop bringing up the old weed seed everytime you work the ground.

/ Preping for new lawn #3  
Your plan is similar to how I did mine, but I would plan to plant in late august so it gets established during the wet fall before it gets too cold. Spray thoroughly, wait 2 - 3 weeks so you'll have less plant material to deal with, disc thoroughly, drag, fertilize, seed, cultipack, and straw. Next spring you can 2-4D as you said. You'll have very few weeds by planting in the fall.

/ Preping for new lawn #4  
Just don't overwork the soil. Grass likes a nice firm seedbed and not 6" of "fluff". Grass also does best when the seed isn't too deep. All you need is soil contact. Anything more than 1/4" deep is unnecissary.

What variety or mix of grass are you planting?

/ Preping for new lawn #5  
Excuse me, but may I ask what is 2-4D? Defolient like glyphosphate? I just can't seem to kill them dang weeds!

/ Preping for new lawn #6  
drivadesl said:
Excuse me, but may I ask what is 2-4D? Defolient like glyphosphate? I just can't seem to kill them dang weeds!

2-4D targets broadleaf weeds. In moderate concentrations, it doesn't effect grass. Too much will burn grass. Most commercially available "lawn fertilizer/weed prevention systems" (ie SCOTTS Step1, Step2, Step 3, Step4) use granular 2-4D as a primary treatment for common lawn weeds.

Glyphosate (RoundUp) is a foliar application treatment that is soil inactive. (Once it hits dirt, it's useless) 2-4D has some effect applied foliar but remains in the soil for residual effect.

/ Preping for new lawn
The soil is a sandy loam and in some places really just sand. So a cultipacker and not a drag after seeding? I have both so I can use what ever is best. I am probably going with a standard sunny grass mix. I used a high priced premium brand on the part of the lawn I have in and my neighbors used cheap stuff from the Borg. Thiers actually look a little better. I am going to try over seeding the established part with some bluegrass this fall.

/ Preping for new lawn #8  
I'm facing a similar challenge this fall. Got about 2 - 3 acres we want to kill and seed. We also have powdery sandy soil. Locals call it blow sand.

What kind of a drag are you suggesting. I don't have a harrow or anything like it and the surface is very 'un-smooth'. I could mow a lot faster with the BX-23 if it was smoother. If I could smooth it during the working/reseeding process I could save a lot of time.

Sounds like I need a roller or cultipacker and something like a harrow or is there something different that you a calling a drag ???

/ Preping for new lawn #9  
A few years ago, I cashed in an available state/federal grant to re-establish grass filter strips and waterways on my farm. Every step of the way, I had to meet specific specifications to be eligable. The grass had to be seeded with one of several brands of overseeder. I rented a Brillion "Landscaper". It has built in cultipacker wheels on the rear. If it didn't, specs called for using a cultipacker after seeding. That firms the soil and press's the seed into the dirt for a positive soil contact. I probably got something like 90% to 95% germination.

/ Preping for new lawn
For a drag I used a 6" PVC flilled with concrete when doing my pastures. I had the PVC laying around after installing a dust collection system for my wood shop. I also just purchased a chain harrow and used it when planting around the barn. There have been numerous other "drags" used on this site. Some others have been old bed box springs, log, chain link fence. If you are needing to cut off some high spots and fill in low spots I would suggest something heavy like the my PVC or a heavy log. These will pull some dirt with them and help even out the ground. They will only move loose dirt so you will need to disk enough get that loose dirt. My back pastures were old corn fields so I actualy plowed disked draged, fertilized, light disk, plant then I forget what I did at the end. To do it over I would fertilize before disking then drag smooth, plant and form what is sounds like here cultipack of light drag if you don't have a cuiltipacker.