Preping for new lawn

/ Preping for new lawn #11  
Brent.Roberts said:
I'm facing a similar challenge this fall. Got about 2 - 3 acres we want to kill and seed. We also have powdery sandy soil. Locals call it blow sand.

What kind of a drag are you suggesting. I don't have a harrow or anything like it and the surface is very 'un-smooth'. I could mow a lot faster with the BX-23 if it was smoother. If I could smooth it during the working/reseeding process I could save a lot of time.

Sounds like I need a roller or cultipacker and something like a harrow or is there something different that you a calling a drag ???
If you disc the area, the drag is used to level and firm the loose soil. I used a 4x8' piece of chain link fence with a pipe or 2x4 wired to the leading edge. I tie a rope to both ends and pull that. I like the rope so it breaks if I catch on anything. After dragging it smooth I like to apply the fert and half the grass seed to the whole lawn. I drag it again going very slow, one time over it all. Then apply the second half of the seed and drag one more time. this gives me even coverage without getting the seed too deep. this is on more of a clay based soil, so if you have loose loan or sand I would probably seed it all and only drag it once.
As Farmer said, don't work the soil too deep. You will think you have it level and firm, but in a couple years it will show ruts and sunken areas.