Tractor moving a semi trailer

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #11  
I agree that your tractor isn't large enough to move the trailers. Your neighbors full size JD might do it but even that is risky. Ask the delivery guy if he can get a bogie set of wheels used to connect two trailers (for pulling doubles) and then your friends full size JD could then tow the trailer where you want it, drop the landing gear, then move the bogie to the other trailer and do the same. Otherwise you need to have him drop the trailers where someplace other than your first choice for placement. If you can't get a road tractor down there a wrecker won't be able to go there either.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer
I am going to change the placement. Thanks everyone! Another fine example of why I am addicted to TBN.

Holy cow, I just got the weight of the trailers. 6725 kg. That is 14900 lbs. Yikes.

I guess I've got to get new placement!
Or
Less junk to store!

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #14  
Holy cow, I just got the weight of the trailers. 6725 kg. That is 14900 lbs. Yikes.

Or
Less junk to store!

A 180 class 36,000 lb or 220 class 44,000 lb excavator would have zero trouble moving them as I stated earlier. Perhaps you could find somebody who could stop by and swing them over for you . The excavator is tops in moving them as you can each over the top and chain to the hitch and put it as close to the woods as you want.

Andy

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #15  
I have repositioned a 40 ft. semitrailer with my Case 450 crawler by lifting the front of the trailer with the dozer blade and pulling against the king pin, then setting it down, re-positioning and then lifting again and pushing against the king pin. This was on semi-soft level ground in a field - no chance of rolling away on me. Went off without a hitch!:rolleyes:

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #16  
As others have stated, the air brakes on the trailer will be a problem. They will not release unless coupled up or adjusted to manually release.

Your tractor is way too small. A dolly set of wheels is the best way but you will still have the brake issue.

A backhoe or excavator and even a large tractor will move them but if you are dragging the landing gear make sure you chain it at 45 deg angles front and back to take the stress then cinch it up with load binders.

Chris

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #17  

Or
Less junk to store!

Then they are not US 'pups' as they weigh as much as a US 53 foot unit.

Must be built for the Canadian market. Your allowable weight is double what we allow in the states and the tandem axles are spaced further apart [you can stand between the 2 sets of wheels on a Canadian tandem] and the running gear is built heavier to carry that weight.

Plus Canada does not allow 'A trains' utilizing the converter dolly. Instead they use the 'B train' where the frist trailer frame is extended over a third axle to hold the 5th wheel for the 2nd trailer.

You still need to support the front end so loading does not make then nose dive...makes it hard to get your stuff out that way.

No worries fellas. As said I am changing the parking configuration. I have a neighbor with an excavator but it will tear up the place so I have decided to park them where it will be easy.

I am very grateful for the advice, you all have been a big help.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #19  
I wonder if that is the weight of both trailers? That would put them at about 7000 lbs each which would be about right in my mind.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #20  
I wonder if that is the weight of both trailers? That would put them at about 7000 lbs each which would be about right in my mind.

That's right for a 28 foot US pup which would need to be declared thru customs to end up in Ontario. Canadian built units [he said they were 38 footers, a common size for a Pup on a B train] would be much heavier than US built units. Our tandem axles are 96" on center while a Canadian is over 120" and qualifies as a 'spread' axle in some US states.

I used to work for the US subsidery of a Canadian carrier and we had tons of problems using the Canadian built trailers in the US. But we did get away with it in Ohio as the Canadian tandem was counted as a spread and allowed 20,000 pounds on each VRS the standard 34,000 pounds combined allowed on a US tandem. Frame rails & the rest of the running gear was also much heavier to meet the increased weight allowance in Canada...

Last edited: