Tractor moving a semi trailer

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #31  
Single axles may be hard to get. Look for a tandem w/ an innerlocking power divider and a short wheelbase instead of a monster condo sleeper & 250" wheelbase. If your buds are as experienced as you say, they should be able to get the tractor out w/ out taking too many more trees. Plus it wouldn't be all that hard to push them forward a foot or so, once you have some cribbing in place, just crank the legs up so the weight is on the cribbing should be enough grease on the coupler plate to help slide it ahead some...

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #32  
If the access will not allow them to be pulled in, have you considered a crane to lift them into place? Might be pricey, but may present a better alternative.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #33  
Richard, was it hard to move with the JCB once the brakes were released?

No, it really wasn't. I was in a situation where I was trying to make a 90 degree turn to put it next to a tree (probably a mistake :rolleyes:) and that let the front lip of the trailer want to slip out of my bucket (8' bucket)

I just picked it up again and carried on.

I was also in goopy mud which didn't help anything. If it was dry at the time, had I been able to lash the ... what ever they call the hitch pin (?) of the trailer to the backhoe, it would have made it easier but it was no real challange as it was...and this is something I've never done before.

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 233
   / Tractor moving a semi trailer #34  
I was speed reading this thread and if someone has already mentioned this then please ignore.

We had a trailer on a job site that was used for materials that had to be moved.
When the bobtail came in to hookup, he could not get any traction when he hit the sugar sand, we had a forklift on site, the type with tractor type tires.

We brought the forks in close together and chained to pin on trailer. The trailer was a 48' best I remember and still had approx. 6000lbs material inside.

This was ford forklift about mid sized and handled the trailer very easily, don't know if you have a rental center near you, but it's just another thought.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer
Hey Damifino, I never thought of that. My other neighbor has a HUGE skid steer - the biggest one CASE makes. Brilliant. All the power I need, easy in, easy out.

Richard, your trailer is a lot lighter than the ones I've got. Single axle, looks a lot shorter and metal post and panel sides not fiberglass. Good tips though but I think mine will be too heavy.

The skid steer is the solution, I'll say it again, brilliant. Once again TBN saves the day.

Thanks everybody.

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #36  
I have not looked at this in detail yet, but could I easily separate the box from the chassis? All I really want are the boxes. I do know that the way I set them they can't be viewed as "permanent" structures or I could be taxed (although other than from the air there is no way the township would ever see these things as this area is way far from the road and behind a ridge)

Don't be too sure the community won't know. I have a pair of containers in addition to my 53 foot trailer and the assessor sent me an aerial photo asking what the were? This is in a town of 800 people in the middle of nowhere and the boxes are about 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor and 1000 feet off the road in a gully behind a lot of trees.

Andy

Sorry to hear that Andy. Dang assessor. :mad:

I am somewhat of a redneck when it comes to the "establishment". Don't worry, I'm not a crazy unabomber or anything but I hate those sort of things.

Anyhow, I'll find a way to keep them as "non permanent" even if I have to set them on banana peels and slide em along when the inspector flies overhead.:D

/ Tractor moving a semi trailer #39  
Hey Damifino, I never thought of that. My other neighbor has a HUGE skid steer - the biggest one CASE makes. Brilliant. All the power I need, easy in, easy out.

Richard, your trailer is a lot lighter than the ones I've got. Single axle, looks a lot shorter and metal post and panel sides not fiberglass. Good tips though but I think mine will be too heavy.

The skid steer is the solution, I'll say it again, brilliant. Once again TBN saves the day.

Thanks everybody.

Run a chain from the bucket around the kingpin & back & cinch it w/ a binder. Maybe lay an old tire or two in the bucket first.

Good tip on the tires.

You know, funny thing, I happen to have a few rolls of camo.:D:D