Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways?

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #21  
<font color=blue>As for a tiltmeter, got some water, food coloring, mineral oil, glass jar w/seal & lid, a protractor and a magic marker?</font color=blue>

At the price they offer them at, and the customer service they provide (as evidenced by this</font color=red> post) I think they are well worth the investment.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #22  
Not to be the one to turn down a gadget on a tractor, but this type of gadget seems to be nearly useless.. kind of like a 'just crashed' indicator for an airplane. If you are on a slope and it feels funny... I wouldn't stay on it just cause the meter says it is still under 'x' degrees.. but then as always.. this is a personal pucker factor thing. I've ridden my riding lawnmower in areas that i would hang off on one side to mow... But I can step off or jump far clear of my lawnmower if it gets weird... and it shuts off to boot. The tractor is a different story... I'm not going to knowingly get on a slope that makes the tractor tipy...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"At the price they offer them at, and the customer service they provide (as evidenced by this post) I think they are well worth the investment."

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #23  
<font color=blue>If you are on a slope and it feels funny... I wouldn't stay on it just cause the meter says it is still under 'x' degrees</font color=blue>

Actually, I usually feel the pucker factor kick in beyond the recomended 'x' degrees, so I glance at the tilt meter to make sure I'm below that point on the hills.

<font color=blue>I've ridden my riding lawnmower in areas that i would hang off on one side to mow... </font color=blue>

I've had my lawn tractor to the point it started to slip sideways, but like you said, flipping the lawn tractor and flipping my big tractor are 2 different matters. For me anyway, I feel the tiltmeter was a worthwhile investment.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #24  
"Not to be the one to turn down a gadget on a tractor, but this type of gadget seems to be nearly useless"

Not at all!!

As R&B notes in their literature, the slopes that increase (starting off mild, then increase in steepness) can be very deceptive. This gauge...(a guide, as noted in another response) can keep you from getting into trouble.

In my case (and if you read the posts of several other "newbie" tractor owners), I thought some of the side slopes I was on were horrendous..turned out to be well under the limits of safety. As I used the tractor more, I felt a heck of a lot more comfortable.
Initially, I was doing the whole yard in first gear Low. Now, I'm doing the majority of the mowing in 4th gear Low, which is probably as fast as I'll get on my sloped property. 4th gear Low runs about 2½ MPH.
Part of this is, of course, the learning curve. But I attribute much of my comfort to knowing the approximate angle I'm driving on.

Now, the use of the tiltmeter is not to replace common sense. And, as another respondent to this thread noted, the limits of the tractor can change, dependent on how it is equipted.

In conclusion, I must say the tiltmeter helped me in my learning curve and is considered a valuable addition to my tractor.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #25  
Well said, Roy. I certainly felt that my tiltmeters were well worth the investment. I think I've said before that you probably don't need a tiltmeter, just like you don't need a fuel gauge, tachometer, temperature gauge, etc. (and some tractors don't have those), but I like and use gauges for the information and assistance provided by them. A tiltmeter won't keep you from rolling a tractor, just like a fuel gauge won't keep you from running out of fuel, but they help.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #26  
Trev said:
For what is's worth, there are spots on my property that used to scare me to death with my little GT235.. but with the new 4300 I drive over these without a second thought. I presume it's wider, and I have the rear wheels set to the wide position. But my impression is that the JD 4300 is MUCH more stable than the smaller GT235. I still get nervous mowing next to the ditch beside the road, so what I do is mow back and forth... backing over the ditch with the rear mower. No problem at all.

Don't know if this helps.....
This will work but it's time consuming due to all the back and forth manuvering.
Yes there is a problem > you need the mower extending out from the side of the tractor not the rear of it.
My solution > A combination clamp on tow behind mower built just for ditch trimming.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #27  
Steelfan said:
This is a very good subject for me, as my Wheelhorse, and Sears Craftsman, are no problem with the hills on my property. I feel very comfortable with them mowing sideways. I bought a TC21d this Jan. I have a big amount of trouble figuring the tilt of this tractor. First you sit much higher, and the tractor is much heavier. I think the comfort level decreases a lot with a compact on hills. I'd love to find out where I can go with my tractor Safely. Any thoughts?
my bolens gt and mtd lt tractors on hills feel like i'm on level ground compared to the bx23 in the same places.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #28  
.... why am I not surprised ..........

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #29  
holy old thread revial batman....

oh and i bout laughted my arse off on the "just crashed" indicator... good one

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #30  
This one is a bit dated, ain't it.