Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways?

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #11  
<font color=blue>RBR Manufacturing (I hope I spelled that right...someone please correct this if I'm wrong)</font color=blue>

It's R & B Manufacturing.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #12  
"It's R & B Manufacturing"

Thanks Mike!!!

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #13  
Thanks, Roy. I'd read a lot of posts on the subject but that one crucial bit of information was always missing from those.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #14  
Robertm,

I don't know what the actual acceptable grade is but I've found that even though I'm very comfortable with my tractor (JD 855 CUT) I still get that "pucker" feeling when going sideways on even a slight grade. I was out brush hogging this weekend and I found myself doing a lot a backing up or down hills to accomplish what I wish I could do sideways. I'm probably being too careful and the tractor is probably more stable than I think but when I drive my truck on those same slopes I don't feel the same way. I guess I figure that we are all better off if we error on the weenie side. Good luck

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #15  
<font color=blue>Does it vary by tractor? </font color=blue>
The answer is certainly yes. Not only does it vary by tractor, but also how the tractor is equiped and configured. The defining factors are the center of gravity and width of wheel spacing. Installed equipment will change the CG. A MMM will lower the center of gravity. A ROPS and canopy will raise the CG. A tilt meter will give a relative indication but that must be used only as a guide, not an absolute.
Set your tires as wide as possible (if adjustable). Keep your FEL (if you have one) as low as possible.
When I first started mowing the ditch along my front property, I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it. I did it very slowly and puckered pretty tight. Now I mow it very slowly but my pucker is a little looser. Experience is the best guide. Start slow and don't do anything you feel really uncomfortable with.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #16  
I have some pretty hilly property, which I mow with a B7300. I also have a tiltmeter (I even put one on my garder tractor - they're only about 15 bucks). Like the other folks mention, the meter shows 15 - 20 degrees as "borderline", and I pretty much go with that. The pucker factor kicks in (for me) when I approach 15 degrees, but I've had it as far over as 25 degrees (by accident!) and haven't tipped it. Plan on not finding out what the real limit is, either /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

I'll reiterate the seatbelt advice - always wear it, and make sure your ROPS is in good shape. Also, I've found that taking the FEL off helps - the arms definately raise the center of gravity. Backing up and down will allow you to mow a pretty steep slope, too. There's a pretty big section on my place that I'm comfortable going up and down, but sideways is just too scary.

...Chris

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #17  
This is a very good subject for me, as my Wheelhorse, and Sears Craftsman, are no problem with the hills on my property. I feel very comfortable with them mowing sideways. I bought a TC21d this Jan. I have a big amount of trouble figuring the tilt of this tractor. First you sit much higher, and the tractor is much heavier. I think the comfort level decreases a lot with a compact on hills. I'd love to find out where I can go with my tractor Safely. Any thoughts?

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #18  
Put on training wheels and try it destruction. You'll find the limit.
Egon

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #19  
My narrow gauge Mitsubishi will handle 30 degrees ok, I've done it. I have also rolled the dang thing, and since then I'm not able to stay on the seat when the angle passes 20 degrees.

/ Grade Too Steep To Mow Sideways? #20  
Like most everybody is pointing out.. if it feels bad on the tractor, try to approach the job a different way.

As for a tiltmeter, got some water, food coloring, mineral oil, glass jar w/seal & lid, a protractor and a magic marker?

If so, you got a tiltmeter.

Soundguy