steel mesh or fiber in concrete

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #11  
You must be Nebraska, or really close. LSG is a limestone rock mix, 10%. If you want longevity with heavy truck traffic, use 6" slab with an LSG3500 which is 30% rock. Better yet would be a 47B or L3500 state mix which has more rock, but that's tougher for the crews to work by hand. The 3500 is compressive strength.

Your correct on the location. I don't have much heavy truck traffic. I do have some heavy loaded trailers but not over 14K. Propane delivery truck is one of the main reasons for the thickness. Occassionally have rock or dirt delivered in tandem axle trucks. I did have 6"+ state mix put in my shed several years ago.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #12  
...Remesh is a self supporting sheet (but you still need dobies) as opposed to the wire that comes in a roll and everyone tells you they pull it into the center when pouring, but I have never cored the concrete and found the wire anywhere near the center...

I see this allot. The contractor tells the client that they just pull up the mesh or rebar while spreading the concrete. They might even start to do this at first, but quickly give up as it's impossible to spread concrete and pull up rebar or mesh through it to the middle at the same time. There are special tools for this, but spreading concrete is the main goal and playing around with rebar or mesh is secondary. If you ever see a job were they try to say that's what they are going to do, fire them on the spot and find somebody else.

Here in my area of Texas, 4 inch pads are the norm for residential driveways. 6 inch pads are for heavy trucks. Of course, we don't get snow, which makes a big difference.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #13  
When I poured my new drive this summer I used a ring of rebar (1/2" I think) and on a 5' centers. Fiber was added unstead of using wire mesh.

I used fiber to avoid the troubles of wire.

Good luck.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #14  
Expansive soils are common in my area, and the clown who built my house didn't put mesh, rebar or fiberglass in the concrete. All of our 4" nominal (3-1/2" if we're lucky) flatwork has problems from heaving, settling, cracking, etc. A lot of my neighbors have spent big $$$$$$$$ on massive amounts of concrete flatwork, and bought the contractors' BS about fiberglass being good enough. Their expensive flatwork isn't holding up as well as it should.

My preference is #4 rebar on 2' centers resting on chairs, and I completely agree with Eddie about firing any clown who claims they can pull up the mesh and/or rebar to the proper height during the pour. 4" for sidewalks and light duty driveways and aprons; but I prefer 6" for driveways, aprons, and heavy shop floors if the budget allows.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #15  
if the budget allows

If the budget doesn't allow, wait until it does. While the actual concrete is significant, it is only part of the cost. Prep, base rock, rebar and finish labor all add up. These are pretty much the same for any thickness.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #16  
Does rebar - any diameter - really do much good on 5' spacing? I know there are tests and formulas to find the optimal strength of rinforced concrete. For 4-6 inch work I think they recommend 14 - 16 inch grid spacing.

Not a concrete person by any means but did some research before our house slab was poured.

So many variables in flatwork from site soil, weather, traffic, etc. Hard to sort out what really matters.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #17  
I used mesh for the approach on on my garage, used chairs, and like every one said you can't keep it pulled up. Adding on to garage and used #4 rebar 1' oc, on chairs, looking back seems a little over kill.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 371
   / steel mesh or fiber in concrete #18  
Just my 2 cents, but I poured a 30x48 ple building with an apron 5" thick with only fiber 6 years ago. One solid pour with 10x15 saw cuts. No cracks or heaving anywhere except for the normal small stress crack near the drain. No separation or heaving anywhere. This building has no footers for the floor, just a surface pour over gravel. Not heated all the time and in a freeze thaw area.

My front porch is 48x7 with a 7" fiber pour over steel decking. One stress crack that I sealed because it's over a storage area. No heaving or anything else.

I think the quality of the material is the main issue with this stuff.

I have been on many pours and I agree that the mesh ends up on the bottom, all good intentions aside.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #19  
I used mesh for the approach on on my garage, used chairs, and like every one said you can't keep it pulled up. Adding on to garage and used #4 rebar 1' oc, on chairs, looking back seems a little over kill.

I don't see any chairs, just bricks.

/ steel mesh or fiber in concrete #20  
I am building a new driveway and need to know if it is better to use steel mesh or is fiber in the concrete as good. it is being built on an existing pad that is made of clay topped with 2's and 304. it is very stable and large trucks drive on it all the time with no problems. the concrete will be 4" thick. Thanks for your help!!!

People, think about this a little. Take a good look at the next concrete structure, bridge or highway overpass that you see being built and use what you see. You won't see rebar being wasted by being installed in the center of anything. It only has value when it is near the surface of the concrete.

Rebar and mesh do nothing for concrete if it is centered in the slab, it just prevents it from pulling apart if it happens to crack. If you point load a slab such as driving a large truck with 20k weight on the front axel, the slab will try to deform.

You will have 10k of weight sitting on a very small area where the tire contacts the concrete. The top half of the slab will be under compression both from the weight of the tire and the bending down will impose radial compression from the resulting deflection. Any reinforcing that is centered in the slab will be in a zone of nuetral stress.

The area above is under compression and the area below is under tension and the area with the reinforcement will be doing nothing, it is centered and it doesn't see any stress other than a bending force that it is unable to resist. Rebar and wire are very soft and easy to bend. The Value of these reinforcements is only achieved when they are near the top and the bottom of the slab.

In the above example if the wire or rebar is located near the bottom of the slab when the truck drives over it, it becomes in tension and its strength of 36,000lbs per sq inch will aid in preventing the slab from deflecting. It is very easy to bend, but it is very hard to stretch, that is where it's strength lies. By the same token if it is near the top of the slab, when the frost heaves the floor from below having it near the surface is the place you would want it.

That being said, the reason that the fiber works so well is that it is everywhere to resist loads from both above and below.

Reinforcing that is centered in the slab does nothing to prevent it from cracking it just stops it from pulling apart after it has cracked and it there is enough of it the shear strength maintains the edges of the cracks at the same elevation.

Many good concrete contractors don't know this. They are not engineers, they are just hard working people who try to do the best job the can and they do mean well. Their fathers told them this is the way it should be.

I recently had my barn floor expanded and the contractor thought he did me a good job by installing rebar dowelled in at the center of the old slab that tied into my new work. But the best thing he did for me was to order the concrete with fiber in it.

I am not a civil engineer, just an undereducated and out of work mechanical designer, but I do have a good grasp of how things work. Stress doesn't care if it is in concrete or steel it all acts the same. The area of nuetral stress is always centered in the material that is being deflected. That is the area that will benifit the least from reinforcement.

So don't get your knickers in a knot if your reinforcing wire ends up not being centered in the slab. It is probably the best thing that could ever happen to your project.

I just had to say that........My concrete guy did the best job he knew how to do. He has been working hard for 25 years laying concrete. They just don't know unless you tell them.

That is why designed projects have the position of the concrete reinforcements dimensioned into the plan. The location makes a big difference. Using fiber makes it almost fool proof.

Last edited: