Hay equipment

/ Hay equipment #21  
When I started haying I was fortunate enough to be able to help my then girlfriends family with their dairy farm. They couldn't do their own hay anymore since he had a brain tumor and suffered from seizures. I had my own tractors already but bought a baler and some kicker wagons. They were able to teach me and show me a lot that first year. I used their hay rake (NH 256)and mower conditoner (NH 489) which helped me save money. I bought a discbine that fall after demoing it because I could see the huge difference in speed and reliablity. The 489 needed new crimper rolls and was worth $500- $1k and I paid $9100 for a Gehl 2460 discbine (I think that is the model but keep forgetting).

I fought like heck the first two years dealing with our New York hay season without a tedder. I finally bought a decent Vicon RS-510T from Lamb and Websters auction for $1700 (17' tedding width). I was actually bidding against the guy who traded it in for a 6 basket unit. He told me it was a great tedder and he was going to buy it back as it was going so cheap. That sold me on my decision as there was a 6 basket 3pt unit there also but I didn't want to fight with that thing each time and it would have to be hooked to my TN all the time.

My first year haying I cut 250 acres and learned a lot that year. Now I only do around 100 acres and hope to upgrade my rake to a Kuhn twin rotary rake.

For your operation though try your best to volunteer your help and equipment to a local farmer and have them show you the ropes. They should be more then happy to have your help and you can get use to using your equipment and they should be able to help you fine tune your equipment on their fields as you help them. They win by gaining a helper when most farms desperately need help (hay season) and you win by being able to learn from others and if you can use your own equipment you will win big time by having someone help you learn how to use your own equipment and make adjustments.

I have $28k tied up in just my hay equipment (not counting any of my tractors). I bought everything used (rather new used but not super new used;)) except for one kicker wagon that I bought to put on a running gear I had. I have 4 metal kicker wagons to help get hay off the ground and want to buy a couple more now if I can find a deal on some eventually. I lucked out and found the guys I use to trim my vineyards are able to help unload wagons for me as long as I have the wagons loaded the night before as they want to work at 6am to unload them. So I just fill the wagons, park them inside and they empty them and move the wagons outside for me to take back to the field. I pay them $10/hour and don't have to worry anymore about updating my hay handling system.

Good luck to you and to find decent used equipment start talking to your farmer neighbors and see who you can tie up with to learn from and they should be able to tell you about any equipment they know about in the area. Also talk to the local dealers and tell them to keep an eye out for what your looking for and the price range. The salesman at Lamb and Websters would call me about once a week if they had something new come in when I was looking for a baler. I missed out on a great NH 326 because I dragged my feet, it was a very well taken care of baler (looked new in every aspect) and was extremely cheap for its condition. I ended up with a NH 575 with model 72 thrower and got a decent price on it compared to everything else I could find locally.

One piece of advice, buy a baler locally if possible, they are a hassle to try and transport any long distance and there are plenty of balers availble around New York with all the small dairy farms going out of business :(

/ Hay equipment #22  
Ok I will look at all of the rollers etc. Now I have someone who wants to sell me a conditioner, would I need to buy that if I ended up buying the NH 479? Thanks again for all the help.
The rollers condition the grass by pinching it between them ...Much better and gentler on leafy crops like alfalfa

/ Hay equipment
I have found A Ford 530 baler, does anyone know anything about these? Are they dependable? OR should I stay away from them? They are asking 1500 for the baler....Thanks again hope im not bothering you guys with all the questions

/ Hay equipment #24  
You sure your into buying the equipment first? Some posters have offered sound advice for watching, helping and volunteering your time. Haying is a lot of work that must be done in a timely fashion. You cannot have equipment go down on you in the middle of an operation.

I posted a long while ago about getting my own equipment. I ended up either leasing/sharing or helping out on my own land. I just don't have the time available to address equipment needs when they need it. Nor the funds available to make it a turn-key operation.

/ Hay equipment
I just went out and bought my case 870 tractor and I would like to get the most use out of it, I talked to my uncle who owns another 30 acres next to me and he said he would help me bale as well and we could do his fields. He has some experience in haying but not much in the equipment end of it. I am suppost to go take a 4 hr trip to look at this Ford 530 baler that has always been stored inside and I just want to know if it is worth the trip.The guy is retiring he bought the baler new and he only wants a 1000 for it now, to try to help me on my way. Just wondering if this is one to stay away from,thanks again

/ Hay equipment #26  
I just went out and bought my case 870 tractor and I would like to get the most use out of it, I talked to my uncle who owns another 30 acres next to me and he said he would help me bale as well and we could do his fields. He has some experience in haying but not much in the equipment end of it...

That sounds like a fair trade... He has the experience, you have the equipment. You both win.

/ Hay equipment #27  
I just went out and bought my case 870 tractor and I would like to get the most use out of it, I talked to my uncle who owns another 30 acres next to me and he said he would help me bale as well and we could do his fields. He has some experience in haying but not much in the equipment end of it. I am suppost to go take a 4 hr trip to look at this Ford 530 baler that has always been stored inside and I just want to know if it is worth the trip.The guy is retiring he bought the baler new and he only wants a 1000 for it now, to try to help me on my way. Just wondering if this is one to stay away from,thanks again

A nice 530 went for $900 on eBay a year ago Oct. So $1K doesn't sound out of line, provided it's in working condition. Be sure get the seller to include any manuals and spare parts as part of the deal.

When was that baler last used? The MF124 baler I bought a year ago was purchased right out of the field--the owner had used it the previous day to bale part of his 30 acre hayfield.

Next problem is getting it home. That MF124 was about 30 miles from my place. I towed with my 2001 F150, staying on the back roads to avoid the local gendarmes. Kept the speed at 25 mph max.

DSCF0266 (Small).JPG

DSCF0277 (Small).JPG

DSCF0278 (Small).JPG

/ Hay equipment
the guy who is selling it says he used it to bale 800 bales this past season with "0 problems" he said he wil show me how to thread it and also i am going do with my trailer because it is four hrs away and we are going to lift it on sideways on to my trailer (my trailer is 6x16) I think that should work ok , unless you think otherwise? He said he bought it new or a year old and has had it ever since. He seems like a pretty decent guy.... Thanks for all the info

/ Hay equipment #29  
$1000 for a square baler in good condition is really good.
Make sure the knitters are in good condition. If it is anything that can be problematic to fix it is the knitters because you need to try them and see that they work. It that happens when your out on the field haying...
Try to get a manual from somewhere if the seller doesn't have one, even if the guy shows you how to thread it you would need a manual if you in the future need to do adjustments.

Have you thought of how to get the bales of the fields? Here in Sweden one always used a chute and a wagon (with metal bars as "fences", I guess that is called kicker wagon after googling it) hooked up after the baler. After that time the automatic throwers (enabling 1 single person to work with the baling) until small square balers fell out of use.
I have watched a lot on youtube about square baling and it looks like a lot of people use many different contraptions to just drop them on the ground and later come and pick them up. To me it seems to be a stupid process.
SO... If you want to have a kicker wagon after the baler you need to make sure the baler you buy have a "attachment point" (?) for it and a chute (I guess you don't find any balers with throwers that cheap). On my Welger AP 41 both things are removable but if it is not included with the baler I guess it's a hard time finding it as spare part (in used condition for any old baler of course).

EDIT:
I don't know if our way of retrieving the bales has ever been used in USA. If not it is pointless to look for this kind of chute but to explain what I was talking about I found a picture of such a wagon and a bad picture (cropped) of my baler. The blue circle is where the attachment point for the wagon is but I didn't have any picture with it attached.
http://www.pici.se/p/dFkTYavQs/?size=fullsize
http://213.132.112.100/images/99/9915290907.jpg

Last edited:
   / Hay equipment #30  
...I don't know if our way of retrieving the bales has ever been used in USA. If not it is pointless to look for this kind of chute but to explain what I was talking about I found a picture of such a wagon and a bad picture (cropped) of my baler. The blue circle is where the attachment point for the wagon is but I didn't have any picture with it attached.
pici.se - Dina bilder p ntet
http://213.132.112.100/images/99/9915290907.jpg

This is what we use in the USA...

AutomaticBaleWagons.jpg

I bucked a lot of hay as a kid by hand onto a truck. These bale wagons are a much better alternative. Essential if you have more than a few acres.