Hay equipment

/ Hay equipment #11  
Here's a very old NH479. Can't kill it. I first used a 22 hp Yanmar tractor to mow with this very machine. On your tractor you may not even realize its there. Parts from TSC (knives, teeth, belt(s), chain, tires, etc.

/ Hay equipment
Ok so if I go grab this NH479 what should I look for ?? Also this is just the baler correct? I still need to purchase a cutter , rake and tedder? Thanks again for all the help

/ Hay equipment #14  
The 479 is the cutter............Go look on tractorhouse.com and you can look at some different equipment and get a good idea about prices.

/ Hay equipment #15  
I just was offered a NH 479 Haybine , from Craigslist the guy said he would sell it to me for 500 bucks
Not sure what width rollers are in a 479 but be careful replacing crimper rollers can be more than the machines worth."thousands" and would need to be a really nice machine to warrant replacing.
Saying that i bought a 495 on an auction with the hitch tore off for $900 and after a day upside down in the shop has done 400 acres this year trouble free, I also bought a NH 855 round baler...real nice but had sheared the shaft in the pickup for $2250 on the same auction and after $300 repairs has done nearly 1100 bales this year...

/ Hay equipment #16  
G'day you are right D7E if the rollers need replacing then you are up for more than the machine is worth, however you must also look at the knife drive and knife condition over here (aus) knife sections are about $3.50 each and guards about $8 - $10 from memory bearings, pins, in the knife drive can get up to a couple of hundred$ and a replacement knife about $1200 these are last years prices and not too sure if i am right. We have one guy over here who still perserveres with his as he likes it to cut his lucerne however after spending about 3.5k last year he has had a good run this year, and has done approx 300 acres with no dramas. Look at something in the flesh before you commit to buying and if it looks like good original condition then it is prob from a genuine seller if it is all painted up for sale then be wary a good coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins. As far as the rest of the gear goes stick with a NH or JD baler (personal preference to the NH lots of non genuine spares avail here) and most of all have fun doing it :)

Jon

/ Hay equipment
Ok I will look at all of the rollers etc. Now I have someone who wants to sell me a conditioner, would I need to buy that if I ended up buying the NH 479? Thanks again for all the help.

/ Hay equipment #18  
Ok I will look at all of the rollers etc. Now I have someone who wants to sell me a conditioner, would I need to buy that if I ended up buying the NH 479? Thanks again for all the help.

No you will not need a seperate conditioner the nh will mow and condition the hay all in one pass.
Rob

/ Hay equipment
Ok i didnt think I needed a conditioner with a mower, does anyone know of any auctions coming up in the Northeast ?? I will travel if need be MA<NY<NH<PA<ME? Thanks

/ Hay equipment #20  
I'm on the side of the folks saying to have it contracted at least for the first year. Haying is as much art as it is science. You'd be best to learn it gradually.

Still get the NH 479 if you want. I think you're eventually going to want to have your own equipment and do your own hay. I just think you'll be overwhelmed trying to learn it all at once. If you have it custom cut you can start by watching the guy do the work. You can then develop some questions to ask, and you may even get to help some. You may even reserve a few acres for practice, but let someone else do the rest to begin with.