Battery hooked up backwards,OOP!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #11  
How long did you have it reversed? Smoke=Bad!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #12  
Had a friend do something similar. He hooked up jumper cables backwards and attempted to start it for about 15 minutes. When he realized it and finally did get it sterted, it would not shut off. Fuse or a fusible link was damaged if I remember correct.

Deano

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #13  
How long did you have it reversed? Smoke=Bad!

As an EE I'm not sure time matters much. Any components damaged by reverse polarity and not high current would probably be damaged in way under a second. Many engineers,, myself included usually design for reverse polarity protection. The ones are that is difficult to design for are the high current circuitry to solenoid and starter, but that should not have been energized. Lights, wipers, fans etc don't care. Computer's and the like are easily protected with a single diode or a diode bridge. I would think JD would have them. If some high current pulled enough current to smoke I would like for burnt wiring and blown fuses.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #14  
As an EE I'm not sure time matters much. Any components damaged by reverse polarity and not high current would probably be damaged in way under a second. Many engineers,, myself included usually design for reverse polarity protection. The ones are that is difficult to design for are the high current circuitry to solenoid and starter, but that should not have been energized. Lights, wipers, fans etc don't care. Computer's and the like are easily protected with a single diode or a diode bridge. I would think JD would have them. If some high current pulled enough current to smoke I would like for burnt wiring and blown fuses.

As another EE, I agree about the time issue, things blow very quickly. I'd be concerned about the voltage regulator/alternator. The alternator diodes would have been forward biased and conducting heavily. I'm less sanguine about reverse-bias diode protection, I'd bet there isn't any. It's common enough elsewhere, sure, but I doubt it in this application. Have been wrong before, could be wrong here, but...............

Good luck!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #15  
I'm less sanguine about reverse-bias diode protection, I'd bet there isn't any. It's common enough elsewhere, sure, but I doubt it in this application. Have been wrong before, could be wrong here, but...............

Good luck!

I agree.Having spent quite a bit of time working on auto electrical systems leading the electronics team that did the first Bose car stereo, I learned 2 things. One is the environment is worse than the space shuttle and what is done doesn't always make sense at first glance.

Andy

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #16  
I'm an electronics tech and we have an old saying in the business.... Everything electric runs off of smoke but when you let the smoke out, things quit working! ;) I would try Kenny's suggestion first, make sure the battery is NOT the problem by trying another known good one. If it still doesn't crank, then you might have burned a wire in two, but it could be covered by the insulation. That would make it tougher to fix meaning you'll have to trace it down with a meter. If you haven't already figured it out by now, inspect the wiring and everything else tied to the wiring VERY closely. Good luck. Let us know what you find out. It could help someone else here.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #17  
I'm an electronics tech and we have an old saying in the business.... Everything electric runs off of smoke but when you let the smoke out, things quit working! ;) I would try Kenny's suggestion first, make sure the battery is NOT the problem by trying another known good one. If it still doesn't crank, then you might have burned a wire in two, but it could be covered by the insulation. That would make it tougher to fix meaning you'll have to trace it down with a meter. If you haven't already figured it out by now, inspect the wiring and everything else tied to the wiring VERY closely. Good luck. Let us know what you find out. It could help someone else here.

We have the same problem over here in Washington. Things just don't work after you let the smoke out!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #18  
Look at the wiring diaagram. See where there are diodes in the circuit(s) you energized. It is likely that one or more of them got fried.

Take a look at them........if they unplug, test them with a continuity meter. if not, replace the highest probability ones first.

Good luck.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #19  

Ditto that, a simple diode or bridge would likely protect the entire dash cluster.. could even build an EZ circuit to protect the alt as well.

soundguy

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #20  
I would check the wires to and from the ignition switch. Especially if the key was in the run position when the battery was hooked up wrong.