Battery hooked up backwards,OOP!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP!
After the alternator, voltage regulator and ignition was replaced I finally found the fusible link in the wad of wires near the starter. I removed it and tried a 10 guage wire and presto their was power and lights! The local parts place did not have the same fusible link, so I made do with what they had and now me a little JD are back in business. Thanks to all that reponded!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #42  
After the alternator, voltage regulator and ignition was replaced I finally found the fusible link in the wad of wires near the starter. I removed it and tried a 10 guage wire and presto their was power and lights! The local parts place did not have the same fusible link, so I made do with what they had and now me a little JD are back in business. Thanks to all that reponded!

Make sure you order and replace the fusable link and don't forget.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #43  

I'm not an EE... but growing up around the family car business... more than a couple of times I've tied fried fusible links to reversed batteries...

Don't know the how or why... one time I even saw the smoke coming out under the hood of a late model Cadillac where the battery had just been put in the wrong way... and that's why I mentioned it back in post #6

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #44  
Great news sola mesa. Glad you are back in business and the JD is healthy again.:)

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #45  
Let me just say, you are no idiot. I am an EE. I have hooked the battery up backwards on my boat before. It is called "having too much on your mind".

Joseph