Oil & Fuel Fuel Tank Crack

/ Fuel Tank Crack #1  

zkurtb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Any one ever get a crack in their fuel tank? Happened to me on a former tractor. I noticed diesel smells and eventually the wet on the frame and ground. Was happening even with very low fuel levels, so figured the leak was near the bottom of the tank. From what I could see there were no hoses or fittings near the bottom. So one day I pulled it out to see what was going on. It was quite a bear to get it out. Found the crack shown in the pics.

Attachments

• Tractor_GasTank_crack1.jpg
    Tractor_GasTank_crack1.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Tractor_GasTank_crack2.jpg
    Tractor_GasTank_crack2.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 184
   / Fuel Tank Crack #2  
Is it steel?
Under warranty?
If not
If so drill a small hole at the end of crack clean it up and get it welded
The hole is important to relieve the stress at the end of the crack.

tom

/ Fuel Tank Crack #4  
I'd solder it or braze it.

soundguy

/ Fuel Tank Crack #6  
Solder will not hold, drill & braze it.
E/S

/ Fuel Tank Crack #7  
it is very dangerous to braze, solder, or weld on a closed container much less one that has had petroleum products in it. i know you have the cap off and line off, but for all practical purposes it is a closed container. i also know many are going to say " i have done or seen it done many times". it just wasnt your unlucky day. a man was killed about 4 yrs ago near here torch cutting a 55 gallon drum that had been a used motor oil storage drum, exploded and killed him. diesel fuel thats hot enough is nearly as explosive as gas. the safe way to do it would be to fill and keep it filled with inert gas while the repair is being made.

/ Fuel Tank Crack #8  
Solder will not hold, drill & braze it.
E/S

Solder will -certaintly- hold it... how many sumps have you soldered?

soundguy

/ Fuel Tank Crack #9  
it is very dangerous to braze, solder, or weld on a closed container much less one that has had petroleum products in it. i know you have the cap off and line off, but for all practical purposes it is a closed container. i also know many are going to say " i have done or seen it done many times". it just wasnt your unlucky day. a man was killed about 4 yrs ago near here torch cutting a 55 gallon drum that had been a used motor oil storage drum, exploded and killed him. diesel fuel thats hot enough is nearly as explosive as gas. the safe way to do it would be to fill and keep it filled with inert gas while the repair is being made.

I know a guy that was killed while eating with a plastic fork.. proves nothing.

take the proper precautions for using heat around a container that previously held flamables and then go for it.

soundguy

/ Fuel Tank Crack #10  
well sir,i would tend to agree with you, since we arent talkin about plastic forks, it does prove nothing. and up to the point i posted, nobody had mentioned the proper precautions, thats why i posted. i would hate to think somebody got hurt because nobody posted the "proper precautions" and they did not know any better. nothing wrong with not knowing, we all got to learn sometime. i took a welding course 35 years ago, and thats one thing the instructor drilled into us nearly everyday, never weld on a closed container without the proper precautions. i sure am sorry to hear about your friend and the mishap with the plastic fork, would have been nice if somebody would have warned him i reckon.