Oil & Fuel Fuel Tank Crack

/ Fuel Tank Crack
Thanks all for the thoughts on how-to. Guess I neglected to mention, it was from a while back and I'd already fixed it. By brazing. Mostly curious how many others might have had it happen, something I'd think was uncommon.

What you will need to do once you repair or replace it is to put a rubber strip under the lips of the tank where it sits on the cradle . This will protect the tank from the torsional twisting of the mounting frame which has caused it to crack .

I wondered whether something like that was the culprit, although it was in a VERY sturdy frame.

it is very dangerous to braze, solder, or weld on a closed container much less one that has had petroleum products in it. ...
As has been posted, proper precautions is key. My approach: Drain well, flush with water, then some Gunk inside, flush again, let drain & dry in the sun for a few days with cap off. Sniff test, no odor = safe. Did same on a motorcycle gas tank a few years ago. Risk of rust but I selected hot days and in the sun it dried before rust could start.

/ Fuel Tank Crack #22  
"As has been posted, proper precautions is key. My approach: Drain well, flush with water, then some Gunk inside, flush again, let drain & dry in the sun for a few days with cap off. Sniff test, no odor = safe. Did same on a motorcycle gas tank a few years ago. Risk of rust but I selected hot days and in the sun it dried before rust could start. "

Glad to hear it, next time try flooding the tank with Argon gas.

E/S

/ Fuel Tank Crack #23  
I wondered whether something like that was the culprit, although it was in a VERY sturdy frame.

It can happen both ways , either the frame twists a little going over undulations etc. or the tank expands and contracts with changing temps etc and hurts itself . Either way , it should be mounted on rubber or webbing . I use old load binder straps cut to length when mounting tanks . Nyloc nuts or lock nuts are then needed because they can undo because metal to metal contact is no longer .