Hydro's and brake pedals

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #101  
the way i get around the pto thing is to lower the rpms to a idle then engage. is not perfect but it works

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #102  
Bobcat, Cat, and ASV skidsteers and track loaders I have used did not have one.

For a CUT though, how would you engage/disengage the PTO or change range? I just assumed they all had a clutch for this reason at least. Otherwise, you wouldn't really need a clutch.

Actually, having a pedal is a pain. I like the electric over hydraulic joystick control of both the loader and the "tractor" when I have used Cat and ASV skidsteers/track loaders...

On our late 70s IH 2500b we changed ranges by stopping the tractor and moving the range selector from HI to N then LO or vice versa. To activate the PTO we throttled down to idle and moved the PTO lever to ENGAGE, then throttled up to PTO speed. There was no clutch.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #103  
Interesting. Most times, if at a stop, I do not use the clutch to change ranges. It works easily; no grind 'em to find 'em. Never tried the PTO. My B8200HST is a 1985 manufacture though; there are probably changes since then.

On our late 70s IH 2500b we changed ranges by stopping the tractor and moving the range selector from HI to N then LO or vice versa. To activate the PTO we throttled down to idle and moved the PTO lever to ENGAGE, then throttled up to PTO speed. There was no clutch.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #104  
It is very interesting to learn about all of the different configurations out there. So many machines, so little time. :)

/ Hydro's and brake pedals
I'm glad to see that so many are responding to this thread. The "farmers" that I asked say that they do not want a tractor without split pedals. They also need gears. ( No Hydro ) They are not using SCUTS or CUTS either.

The dealers I see around here seem to be aimed at the large lot owners. Not the farmers. Lots of tractors 20 to 35 HP. Very few big HP tractors.

It seems that most of the time pedals are not needed, but they sure are handy when needed. I have a need for the split pedals so I'm going that route. I'm not sure what color I'm going to end up with, but the pedals are going to be a real important factor in my decision.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #106  
That is your thinking. That is the exact reason of why I purchased my Mahindra 3215HST. I have the clutch to engage my PTO. Not the electro-hydraulic BAM it's on PTO.:eek: The gear version of my tractor has the electro-hydraulic PTO, no thank you, I prefer to be able to feather the PTO.

You make it sound like the PTO slams into gear! Idle the machine down pull the PTO switch and it engages the PTO no problem, no slam, no bang! John Deere has been making tractors along time and they do know a little something about it! Brakes that you can use to stop or turn makes alot more sense on the left side than a clutch pedal that is not needed with a Hydro!

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #107  
You make it sound like the PTO slams into gear! Idle the machine down pull the PTO switch and it engages the PTO no problem, no slam, no bang! John Deere has been making tractors along time and they do know a little something about it! Brakes that you can use to stop or turn makes alot more sense on the left side than a clutch pedal that is not needed with a Hydro!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Everything I've read about PTO's says to NEVER "feather" PTO engagement.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #108  
Exactly what I was thinking.

Everything I've read about PTO's says to NEVER "feather" PTO engagement.

It seems as I have read on TBN about exploding the pto clutch by engaging it at full RPM.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #109  
That is your thinking. That is the exact reason of why I purchased my Mahindra 3215HST. I have the clutch to engage my PTO. Not the electro-hydraulic BAM it's on PTO.:eek: The gear version of my tractor has the electro-hydraulic PTO, no thank you, I prefer to be able to feather the PTO.

I suspect there are othe reasons for having an electro/hydraulic pto such as safety interlocks but having it on two tractors I can tell you it works well. My gear tractor (820) has a two stage clutch and I am not keen on wearing this clutch assembly out, it is pricey.

So on the Mahindra you have the clutch pedal is really for the pto and is operated by your left foot and your right foot controls left and right brakes and direction control? That right foot seems a little busy.:D

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #110  
I'm not that familiar with Kubs so when I first read about having a clutch on a hydro I almost fell off my chair, Thought man they really got issues, brakes on right and a clutch on a hydro! That's crazy!

But to be fair I could see having a clutch could offer some benefits over a machine with out one. First the PTO issue I'm sure there would be an advantage to be able to control that engagement more than with just the flick of a switch. There must be some pto apps that would put you in a situation where you need to engage pto under load.

But also that range changing issue, You have a real heavy load you want to run High gear down the road but How do you get your load off the line, with JD you must be dead stop to change range, so now your trying to get it moving in high? with that clutch you could easily pull off the line in lower range, shifting up as you get the load rolling, just like with a standard.

Maybe they should put the clutch on the right to, then you'd need a third leg :)
But seriously clutch on right brakes on left, as odd as that would be to have clutch on right, it would rarely be used, but could come in handy.

JB.