Hydro's and brake pedals

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #111  
people can say what they wont but its a fact if your doing row crop stlye farming turn brakes are a must theres no if and are buts about it . no matter how tight the turning radius is on the tractor turn brakes make all the difference whenever disking a field . and lets be for real here if your gonna be using them while farming doesnt it make more sence for them to be on the left ??

sure you can get by with them on the right but its a bad design. no need to defend a bad design out of brand loyality . thers things about my jd i dont like. i will never defend a poor design . that mind set of living with something just cause its a overall good machine eventually sinks a product line.

And for what you are doing with a four wheel drive tractor is a dealers dream!!! More parts and repairs!!!!! Brakes today are used for stopping. Slidding front wheels around stress steering components right from ball joints to the hubs and wheels which we sell for those who use tractors like you!
Some people don't balance there tractors right which is the main reason someone might need to use the brakes to steer on a regular bases. A good balance and the tractor would hold while plowing snow or on a hill the majority of the time. To have to use the brakes regularly now you are wearing out more parts! I guess I'm going to have to sell more of the fancy systems with the brakes on the left! The more I thought about it I'm missing out on more repairs in the shop! More customers in the store!

Many models of tractors don't turn vary tight, that "is" a manufacturering flaw with old designs(they were fine thirty years ago) but today many manufacturers don't need brakes to turn tight.

I've said it before and I'll say it again the bulk 85% or more of all tractors built have the brakes on the right! Now who's got them in the right position! Some people were sold a gimic and are trying to resell it to others!

You can use your tractor any which way you want, you paid for it! Help your local dealers with your business and keep going with more brake steering action!

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #112  
Anyone guess where the brakes are on Art's tractors? :)

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #114  
WELL, I must say that I never imagined that this topic could ever go to this number of pages. WOW! I actually did learn a lot. Thanks guys!

Jim

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #115  
[ A good balance and the tractor would hold while plowing snow or on a hill the majority of the time. /QUOTE]

Maybe a little more elucidation on balance would help the challenged understand.:D

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #116  
....... Some people were sold a gimic and are trying to resell it to others!

???

This thread has got to be getting close to the final "TURN" :)

JB.

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #118  
I am convinced that there are some on here that must just use tractors on a level sandlot and dont ever stress capabilities hard enuf to learn that split brakes always aid a turn. 2 or 4 wd - no matter ... When you reach the limit point of direction control w/o them, and then use them you find out quickly that there is suddenly more capability than you had. Id be tempted to bequeath a tractor w/o spit brakes to someone I really didnt like, so they would be forever handicapped.
larry

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #119  
You make it sound like the PTO slams into gear! Idle the machine down pull the PTO switch and it engages the PTO no problem, no slam, no bang! John Deere has been making tractors along time and they do know a little something about it! Brakes that you can use to stop or turn makes alot more sense on the left side than a clutch pedal that is not needed with a Hydro!

But now you have to idle down and then back up again. And even with the throttle down, you still have a sudden start, don't you? :confused: It is no big deal to do this, as you get use to doing what needs to be done, but it still has to be done.

As far as the brakes, I agree, it would be nice if they were in a position that they could be easily used, but as I and others have said, we do not even use the brakes except to set the parking brake.

I would guess that if a person knew that they were going to be in situations that they knew for sure that they were going to need cutting brakes, then they should get the machine that will fill their needs and not get one that could be a problem. Does that make sense?

As far as the brakes on the right, I don't know why, what I do know is that it has not been a problem for me and thousands of others. Again, if you think that there might be even a hint of a problem, then don't buy an HST with the hydro controls on the right.

Last edited:
   / Hydro's and brake pedals #120  
Exactly what I was thinking.

Everything I've read about PTO's says to NEVER "feather" PTO engagement.

So when a person has a PTO implement that has a lot of mass to get going, you think that it is better to just let it go instead of easing into it? I prefer to get it going slowly, but that might just be me.