Starting --- long crank times?

/ Starting --- long crank times? #1  

RobiBX2230

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210 (TLB)
So no matter how long I glow my BX2230 for, when I turn the key it takes about 10 seconds to start -- does this sound like a tired battery or a future starter issue. I keep the tractor in the garage so its never less than 30 degress, even if I glow for 30 seconds or 2 seconds, same thing...

/ Starting --- long crank times? #2  
If when you crank you're getting good speed then I'd look into a small air leak in the fuel system that's allowing your injector to lose prime. You can also look and see if your glow plug is working. To do that you could disconnect the glow plug and using a multmeter check for continuity between tip and frame.

Good luck.

/ Starting --- long crank times?
If when you crank you're getting good speed then I'd look into a small air leak in the fuel system that's allowing your injector to lose prime. You can also look and see if your glow plug is working. To do that you could disconnect the glow plug and using a multmeter check for continuity between tip and frame.

Good luck.

So, another silly question, would the machine start up if there were NO glow - as you said, check to make sure there is continuity, if there is not then I'd have NO glow

/ Starting --- long crank times? #4  
Yes, it would start. Just takes longer. On a good number of tractors the glowplug is in the air inlet and not on the cylinders as diesel pickups.

Yes, it would start. Just takes longer. On a good number of tractors the glowplug is in the air inlet and not on the cylinders as diesel pickups.

I'm 100% new to diesel engines, I'll have to see if the manual has anything about the location of the glow on my machine - if I get a multimeter to it, I assume I put it in glow to see what I can find out - if its not working (is this common first of all) and can I just get new glow plugs for cheap money?

/ Starting --- long crank times? #6  
Cost? depends. Yes just disconnect the wire from the glowplug. If you have glowplugs on each cylinder you will see a wire to each and you will need to disconnect all. Basic meter setup is to set it to continuity or ohms (low range). If open plug bad. A good plug will only have a few ohms. If you have a continuity setting you will usually get a tone if good.

Cost? depends. Yes just disconnect the wire from the glowplug. If you have glowplugs on each cylinder you will see a wire to each and you will need to disconnect all. Basic meter setup is to set it to continuity or ohms (low range). If open plug bad. A good plug will only have a few ohms. If you have a continuity setting you will usually get a tone if good.

This is awesome, thank you -- Hopefully I can figure this out, plugs look to be about $20 each, I'm sure the dealership wants $40 a piece haha

/ Starting --- long crank times? #8  
This is awesome, thank you -- Hopefully I can figure this out, plugs look to be about $20 each, I'm sure the dealership wants $40 a piece haha

Here is a link to Messicks web site for parts
Kubota BX2230D Parts Diagrams
On the left of the screen choose engine then nozzle holder and glow plug and the prices are on the right.
and there are 3 glow plugs and they are mounted in the head beside the fuel injector and they are $26.70 each.

I believe I am going to pick up a frost plug style block heater -- only $41 bucks at the dealership -- this will help me out a lot I think...

/ Starting --- long crank times? #10  
Also.. are you making black smoke during the cranking?

soundguy