Grading Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #1  

beltfed

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I've read lots of R1vsR4 tire threads and I'm just about to buy my new tractor. Probably a Bobcat CT225/230 or 235

I have 1000' gravel driveway with one medium sized hill about 200' long. I have to grade it after each heavy rain and my current 2wd with FEL 16cyl tractor with R1's can't pull any material up the hill. Even dry I can't drag up the hill.

Would R4's in 4x4 on a 30-35hp tractor be ok to pull gravel up the hill or would I need R1's.

The other uses of the tractor would be for wood gathering/moving in wooded areas. No grass cutting though with R4's it would be easier to make shortcuts across the grassy areas. Snow removal would be with the back blade and probably chains if I go with the R4's.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #2  
Every tractor is different, (is your old one gas?) and I am not there to see the depth of your implement, nor the grade of your hill. But I have graded my gravel drive many times. My thought is that if your turfs won't do it, R4's certainly aren't going to either. Turfs have an amazing friction patch.
Not sure I'd relish plowing snow up or down that grade with R4s.

If dry, dirt is dirt and rubber is rubber. Yes, I've graded with both. There is not a HUGE difference.

I'd say that if your problem really is tires, than you better get some R1s. I'm concerned we may have other factors working against you here as well.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #3  
I've read lots of R1vsR4 tire threads and I'm just about to buy my new tractor. Probably a Bobcat CT225/230 or 235

I have 1000' gravel driveway with one medium sized hill about 200' long. I have to grade it after each heavy rain and my current 2wd with FEL 16cyl tractor with R1's can't pull any material up the hill. Even dry I can't drag up the hill.

Would R4's in 4x4 on a 30-35hp tractor be ok to pull gravel up the hill or would I need R1's.

The other uses of the tractor would be for wood gathering/moving in wooded areas. No grass cutting though with R4's it would be easier to make shortcuts across the grassy areas. Snow removal would be with the back blade and probably chains if I go with the R4's.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
I would think a 16 cylinder tractor would drag an M1 Abrahms uphill!:laughing: Seriously, I've used both on my 23 HP tractor for a 1,400' gravel drive and have never had an issue with the 300' or so that has about a 10% grade...same for snow plowing (I use chains on R4's), however, I do keep my tractor in 4WD all the time. I think with 4WD you won't have anything to be concerned about.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #4  
i'd get the ag tires and get them loaded with fluid ballast too. the bobcat tractors are the same as kioti tractors just different paint and numbers on the hood. kioti bought bobcat.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #5  
i'd get the ag tires and get them loaded with fluid ballast too. the bobcat tractors are the same as kioti tractors just different paint and numbers on the hood. kioti bought bobcat.
Yep...forgot about that...I'm ballasted with methanol.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway
Here is a photo of the old tractor from this past winter and I have a view of the hill from the top.

I would only grade up with gravel since gravity and water usually move it down the hill. :) Snow, I would only plow down the hill.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #7  
I would get R1's loaded. You need traction and R1's are best at that.

Chris

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #8  
I agree. My 30 hp 4wd with loaded ag tires and a 6 foot blade has no
problem grading up a hill at least as steep as yours looks in the photo.
But I need to be in 4wd or at least lock the differential. But a lot depends
on how full the blade is.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #9  
My R1s work pretty good on my little 19 horse yanmar.:cool: I always use it in 4wd on hills and have calcium in the rear tires. After driving in wet snow though, I wish I had chains. But I have a while till the snow returns. Ive used R1s, R4s, and R3s on driveways and I think the R1s provived the best traction in my situation. In soft soils, the R1s are excelent for traction but you gotta watch those rear tires because they can really dig in. You can notice in the picture that i have an extra 200 pounds of weight on the front end. 2 reasons, better traction, and so i dont pop wheeles when i put the tractor in high gear.

Attachments

• 3-2-10 018.jpg
    3-2-10 018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 740
   / Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #10  
Increase your weight, you will most likely run out of HP before you run out of traction with about any type tire...
But for the best traction in about any road grading... early motor graders used AG tires, then for decades Industrial tires were about the only thing used on motor blades, for quite some time many users of small to huge motor graders are now using turf type tires, incredible traction. KennyV