Grading Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #11  
I've read lots of R1vsR4 tire threads and I'm just about to buy my new tractor. Probably a Bobcat CT225/230 or 235

I have 1000' gravel driveway with one medium sized hill about 200' long. I have to grade it after each heavy rain and my current 2wd with FEL 16cyl tractor with R1's can't pull any material up the hill. Even dry I can't drag up the hill.

Would R4's in 4x4 on a 30-35hp tractor be ok to pull gravel up the hill or would I need R1's.

The other uses of the tractor would be for wood gathering/moving in wooded areas. No grass cutting though with R4's it would be easier to make shortcuts across the grassy areas. Snow removal would be with the back blade and probably chains if I go with the R4's.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

DO NOT GET THE CT225, it is short on hp for what you need to do. I would get the 235, plenty of power for those up hill pulls. R4s are fine, you may need chains, will depend on ice situation. While R1s would be your best bet for the winter, I would prefer the R4s for grading the dirt on the drive and making those short cuts across the grass, but that may just be me.

I have a Mahindra 3215HST and it can pull a full load in the box blade up hill without trouble. You should have no problems with a CT235 in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 239
   / Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #12  
well, i can see just about exactly what my driveway will look like when i'm done......very similar to your's....1000' and a mild grade like that one.....

if you have a choice, i'd go with the ag tread, filled and maybe keep a set of chains around for winter......

4wd will probably make the biggest difference, though....

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #13  
While I can't comment on the 225 bobcat..
I have bota L3400, R-1s and loaded rears..
gravel drive part is 1/4 mile..

up hill both ways-- (up then down and up again)

I would not want to try this on R-4s in the winter- with or without chains.

I would vote for the R-1s and also for the larger tractor-- ask some more about the tractor size..

On a few occasions I spun going up hill even with ags...
But I have put a half bucket of dirt in the FEL for some uphill trips due to the steepness....

just keep reading..
check that tractor out a little more..

J

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes on the larger tractor. I'll be testing out Kubota's, New Holland's and Bobcats this weekend. It isn't much more to upgrade from the Bobcat 225 to the 235. Since they weigh the same and are exact, the extra HP would be nice.

How long does it take to chain up R4's? Also any estimate on price for diamond? chains for the R4's. Maybe that will make me decide on R1's since it would be a time saver not having to chain up in the winter. Unless the R1's need chains too. lol.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #15  
I use a 6 ft boxblade on my Kioti CK35 HST. :thumbsup: I have R4 tires on it and am very happy with them. Tractor works very well for grading, the only thing I have to watch is not to let the box get totally full of gravel, then I have to put it into 4 X 4. I have a couple of inclines on my almost セ mile private road that I do. Tractor and boxblade go up and down them fine. Last winter we had an almost record amount of snow, over 5 ft. Had no problem with the R4 tires when moving the snow with the FEL, I did have my backhoe on for extra weight. The tractor handled very well in the snow. Most of the time didn't even put it into 4 X 4.

Attachments

• 670DecemberPics 040.jpg
    670DecemberPics 040.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 670DecemberPics 041.jpg
    670DecemberPics 041.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 670DecemberPics 044.jpg
    670DecemberPics 044.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 103
  • April09 002.jpg
    April09 002.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 126
  • April09 065.jpg
    April09 065.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 102
  • April09 066.jpg
    April09 066.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
   / Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #16  
If you are getting a tractor and fel I would consider scraping a bucket full and transporting it up hill to get the bulk of the material moved. Just something to consider, since you would have better control of the material placement. The material weight would be carried thus nulling out the traction issue with a 4x4. You still need rear ballast for proper use of the fel though. The lower the overall weight for tractor, material and draft the faster you can get the work done.

I have used the above method and pulled material uphill with boxblades and landplanes and for areas with traction problems moving the material with the loader is always faster.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway
If you are getting a tractor and fel I would consider scraping a bucket full and transporting it up hill to get the bulk of the material moved. Just something to consider, since you would have better control of the material placement. The material weight would be carried thus nulling out the traction issue with a 4x4. You still need rear ballast for proper use of the fel though. The lower the overall weight for tractor, material and draft the faster you can get the work done.

I have used the above method and pulled material uphill with boxblades and landplanes and for areas with traction problems moving the material with the loader is always faster.

That wasn't possible with my current tractor as the extra weight in the bucket would make it so I couldn't get up the hill. With the new tractor it should be possible with 4x4 and extra HP.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #18  
Tires will have almost no impact on what you're doing. The problem you have now is simply HP/weight related. Unless the driveway gets really soft, tires won't make a big difference.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #19  
I'd have to agree with the above. Looking at your pictures, it reminds me a lot of my driveway. Its a little more than 2/10 of a mile, and looking at your pictures, mine probably has worse hills.

I have a 25HP Kubota SCUT on R4's (no chains) with FEL and a 52" box blade for taking care of the drive. I've had no problems at all going up/down hills with the BB. The key factor, I'd guess, has less to do with the tires, but more with my being able to go in low 4WD.

I also used it to move snow a couple of times this past winter. About 8in of snow each time. Used the FEL, and could move a lot of snow going level or downhill. Uphill wasn't as easy...but what goes up, must come down. So for snow removal, I start at the tops and come back down. Really didn't take all that long.

/ Tires to use for grading a gravel driveway #20  
I have R1's on some tractors and R4's on three and given your circumstances I believe any difference in one tire over the other overall is going to be marginal.

Prior to 2007, I wouldn't have anything but R1's or turfs, but have been pretty happy with the R4's and I am seeing more and more in farm country on utility tractors.