Spec exaggerations: List yours

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #21  
Specifications, especially HP claims, are very important. There is a class action law suite against many lawn mower manufacturers going all the way back to January 1, 1994. Many of us received the "Legal Notice" thru the mail recently. Apparently, many of the manufacturers were exaggerating the engine hp all the way up to 30 hp for both walk-behind and riding mowers. There is a long list of defendants in the case. Most manufacturers are now using "torque" ratings for their products. Look here for more info.
https://lawnmowerclass.com/

My '82 Lawn-Boy 21" Commercial was rated at about 4HP, it would cut better and wetter grass than anything now or recently advertised as "6HP" or so.

Yes, I can see this and it's on the automotive side as well. Now even SAE HP certifications must be WITNESSED but that only "certifies" that the test was valid and accurate and not that the test was equal to all other SAE standard test regimines.

This IS a major reason for the Nebraska Tractor tests and why some Mfgrs are interested in completing them and others are not.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #22  
This IS a major reason for the Nebraska Tractor tests and why some Mfgrs are interested in completing them and others are not.

Yep. And if you don't want to submit your tractor to the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, then you can't get a tractor sales permit and you can't sell your tractor in Nebraska. Example-Mahindra. I have a Mahindra 5525 but it hasn't been tested (too bad, I'd really like to know Nebraska test numbers for my 5525). As far as I can tell from the Mahindra website, there are no Mahindra dealers located in Nebraska. If you enter a Nebraska zip code in the Mahindra dealer locator feature on their website, you'll be directed to Mahindra dealers in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #23  
The test lab does not appear to do compact tractors, also I got that class action law suit post card like 5 days after I purchased my easy track. Lawyers are like dogs on a scent.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #25  
The test lab does not appear to do compact tractors,...

I don't know about that, it might be true and I suspect depends on the definition of "compact" to some degree.

According to their official website: NE Tractor Test Laboratory

"The University of Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory is the officially designated tractor testing station for the United States and tests tractors according to the codes of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Twenty-nine countries adhere to the tractor test codes (including non-OECD members: China, India, the Russian Federation, and Serbia), with active tractor test stations in approximately 25 of those countries. The OECD codes require that tractors be tested in the country of manufacture. Reciprocity agreements with the codes require that once an OECD test report is officially approved, it must be accepted by all participating countries."

That is an interesting statement and if true, would seem to imply that there may be a very good reason to NOT want to submit a brand or model for certification. If the marketing claims cannot be validated, well you'd be wise not to participate.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #26  
From my experience Kubota tends to give reasonable numbers on their tractors, but not always. The loader on my BX2350 is something like an LA245. This translates to something like 540 lbs, so many inches in front of the pins(can't remember the exact number) yet the brochure said something like 700 and some odd pounds at the pins. The 540 lbs is the number you should look at since that is a realistic weight that can be carried in the bucket. They will often slant the numbers to look the way they want them to.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #27  
I don't know about that, it might be true and I suspect depends on the definition of "compact" to some degree.

According to their official website: NE Tractor Test Laboratory

Yeah I found their site, and noticed nothing below 4000 series John Deere's. Thats why I said no compacts.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #29  
Some of these companies rating the gearbox HP's of their rotary cutter at 250 HP when another company rates a gearbox at 200 HP and they have the same input and output shaft diameters. This doesn't make any sense. A larger box with more oil cooling capacity doesn't make that much difference.

People forget that gearbox HP's are not using a standard rating system. It's more of a marketing game. Bush Hog, Land Pride, Woods, Rhino all seem to like to play it. Especially when they bump a HP rating up 5 HP to get over the other guys, but they didn't change the gearbox in any way.

Very odd to me.

/ Spec exaggerations: List yours #30  
Some of these companies rating the gearbox HP's of their rotary cutter at 250 HP when another company rates a gearbox at 200 HP and they have the same input and output shaft diameters. This doesn't make any sense. A larger box with more oil cooling capacity doesn't make that much difference.

People forget that gearbox HP's are not using a standard rating system. It's more of a marketing game. Bush Hog, Land Pride, Woods, Rhino all seem to like to play it. Especially when they bump a HP rating up 5 HP to get over the other guys, but they didn't change the gearbox in any way.

Very odd to me.

It's probably a rating game.

is one a 'rated' hp, and the other a 'peak' hp number?

soundguy