Mowing How high do you mow your lawn

/ How high do you mow your lawn #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello I am just wandering what height everybody mows their lawn at and reason for that particular height. I know different heights are for different advantages and has disadvantages (like cutting one length looks awesome but weeds will grow more or edge of mower deck will cut into ground if ground is not even)

/ How high do you mow your lawn #2  
Hello I am just wandering what height everybody mows their lawn at and reason for that particular height. I know different heights are for different advantages and has disadvantages (like cutting one length looks awesome but weeds will grow more or edge of mower deck will cut into ground if ground is not even)

I don't know what length I cut mine down to but, I like short and straight lines.!!

/ How high do you mow your lawn #3  
We leave it a bit taller, it can handle the heat better and we are conservative on the watering.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #4  
As low as my mower lets me. i just think it looks better. Cut it every week also.
Dad leaves his high, when you walk in his grass the grass is taller than your foot. His is greener than mine.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #5  
I live in the boonies, not on a manicured city lot.

I mow about an acre or so right around the house at an inch and a half. I mow another acre or so near the house at 3 to 3 1/2 inches. I shred about another four acres of rough mowing in unused pasture at about 5 or 6 inches. The rest of the place is hay meadow and grazed pasture that gets sprayed and shred as needed for weed control.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #7  
3 inches because that's as high as the trim mower goes. have less problem with heat stress and weeds.

/ How high do you mow your lawn
Mine is at 1 3/4" and it looks good but the mower (new rear finishing mower) always scrapes the ground with the frame. That's why I'm wandering about height, but I also think this would be a good thread for anyone new with mowing with a tractor and needs somewhere to start when it comes to mower settings (I know when I started I didn't have a clue on what height to set it and first cut had almost bare ground and lots of scrapes, second cut was too high and it looked like it didn't cut anything.) it took me 5 tries before I found a setting but still having troubles with the deck scrapping the ground.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #9  
3-4 inch. usually at 3 3/4 for more heat tolerant. shorter in fall.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #10  
Okay, now I understand the origin of your question.

I use a Z mower for the few acres around my house and a rear rotary cutter for the rest. With a rear mower, you are going to experience problems as you describe. Since that's what you're using an inch and a half would be pretty tough to keep looking good with a rear mower and uneven ground.