Mowing How high do you mow your lawn

/ How high do you mow your lawn #21  
Usually no more than 6 beers, and a couple shots of jager.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #22  
3" except the pond bank which is mowed at 3.25" to keep from scalping. My deere GT235 only goes up to 3.5".

/ How high do you mow your lawn #23  
I cut mine at 2.5" to keep the field rats and snakes away from the house.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #26  
The cutting height of fescue will mirror in the dept of the root system. If you cut fescue 1.5 inches ,you will get a 1.5" deep root system. If you cut 4 inches,you will get a 4 inch root system. Its easy to understand why your lawn can quickly go brown in the summer during poor rainfall if you cut the grass close. In eastern virginia,if you want short green grass in the summer be prepared to water frequently. Its better on the environment with runoff issues and water consevation issues to maintain your lawn at 3 to 4 inches.

/ How high do you mow your lawn
Carykong said:
The cutting height of fescue will mirror in the dept of the root system. If you cut fescue 1.5 inches ,you will get a 1.5" deep root system. If you cut 4 inches,you will get a 4 inch root system. Its easy to understand why your lawn can quickly go brown in the summer during poor rainfall if you cut the grass close. In eastern virginia,if you want short green grass in the summer be prepared to water frequently. Its better on the environment with runoff issues and water consevation issues to maintain your lawn at 3 to 4 inches.

Oddly enough that makes perfect sense and explains why they say longer grass makes it harder for weeds to get root and grow

/ How high do you mow your lawn #29  
I set the mower just as low as it'll go the first mowing of the season, which is 1.25" according to the manual, and I use the grass catcher; slow job but gets it done. Then I fertilize and water. Each of the next 3 mowings, I raise the mower a notch until I'm at 2.75" and leave it there the rest of the year, doing most of the mowing without the grass catcher.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #30  
I thought that the recommended mowing height depended on the type of grass. For example, the proper cutting height for warm-season grasses (e.g., centipede) is lower than for cool-season grasses (e.g., fescue).

The link below provides a table showing the recommended heights for various grasses.

Mowing Heights for Lawns | Walter Reeves: The Georgia Gardener

Steve