mouse deterrant.....winters coming

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #21  
My excavator has spent almost 2 years inside a ShelterLogic shelter. Prior to that my JD 755 spent two winters in it. I have a barn cat for rodent control, and I leave the hoods open on the machines to make them less inviting to the mice. So far, no problems. I think I'll up the ante this winter by addind dryer sheets to the excavator.

My newest cat leaves me about 5 mouse corpses a week in my shop, so they are definitely around. in fact, my leaf vacuum lives outside, and this is the 3rd year I've had to remove the flywheel housing from the 8 hp Briggs engine to remove the remains of a mouse and nest from around the ignition coil. Two years ago mice ate all the insulation from the spark plug wire on a brand new coil! Being a cheap Yankee I reinsulated it with fuel line and electrical tape instead of replacing the part. I'll have to remember to stuff some dryer sheets in that engine when I'm done with it this fall.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #22  
The ptoblem with using commercial killers, D-con and such, is that if you have cats and they eat a mouse or rat that ate D-con, the cat dies along with the rodent.

Dead and decaying cats make a lot bigger stink than a mouse or rat.:D

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #23  
Cats...

Chris

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #24  
The ptoblem with using commercial killers, D-con and such, is that if you have cats and they eat a mouse or rat that ate D-con, the cat dies along with the rodent.

Okay, and I had to give up shop for over a month to a possum, who found some mouse bait? I could not find it, because I could not breathe. Now I have a Gas mask, that does wonders?

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #25  
Problem with barn cats (we have about 30 or so), is they wee on everything in addition to keeping rodents in check, a very undesireable side effect. A good mouser is also a good wee'r I've found.

What we do here when we put tractors up for the winter is put a couple dryer sheets in the cabs or on the floorboards if it's an open station.

That keeps the rodents from building a home in places that you deem undesireable in the spring, air cleaners, under seat cushions, in the dash, under the hood and everywhere else you would presume they would never build a nest.:)

I would not have 30. I have 2 that are fixed and both are female. Would not have a male for that reason.

Chris

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #26  
I need to do something with the mice also. They got into my heat pump last winter and cost me $480. I put wire mesh around all the openings hoping that will stop them. Have lots of mouse poison around house along with traps in the garage. The traps have not been tripped.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #27  

I never saw a cat eat anything that it hadn't killed for itself. In other words, they aren't scavengers. And I've been around barn & house cats all my life.
Anything else that comes along and eats a mouse or rat I have poisoned can die right along with it.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #28  
I never saw a cat eat anything that it hadn't killed for itself. In other words, they aren't scavengers. And I've been around barn & house cats all my life.
Anything else that comes along and eats a mouse or rat I have poisoned can die right along with it.

The only thing is, DCon as well as other rodent baits, don't have an immediate effect so if the cat happens to catch, kill and eat a poisoned mouse it still gets poisoned.
Both solutions (cats, or poison) work but it's best not to mix the two.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #29  
I found a computer that would open the video on the mouse bucket? i wonder what they are using for bait over it?

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #30  
I found a computer that would open the video on the mouse bucket? i wonder what they are using for bait over it?

Usually peanut butter because it'll stick to the can as it rotates. I'm sure other gooey stuff would work as well.