mouse deterrant.....winters coming

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #41  
Ok,,,,I am a licensed NYS pesticide applicator, and the applicator of record for my business which I have had for 18 years

1. Modern rodenticides, like brodaficoum ( d con), are single feed , second generation anti coagulants, there is. 3-5 day kill period from point of ingestion, and the active ingredient needs to be digested by the target rodent . If your cat eats the rodent it will likely vomit but not die,,,,an 8 LB cat needs .8pm of bait for a lethal dose

2. Feral cats have more down sides than just the one positive aspect of killing mice, yes they are excellent mousers, but they reproduce like rabbits and urinate on every thing , I get calls all the time from the lady who thought they were cute and now they're crapping under the deck.

3. IF YOU ARE USEING A RODENTICIDE PLEASE APPLY IT IN A LOCKED TAMPER RESISTANT RODENT SPECIFIC BAIT STATION. rodenticide are a nightmare waiting to happen, the product you apply today will be there 5-10 -15 years from now if it is not consumed, and even though you have great intentions, what if 3 years from now , after you sold your property , the 3 year old kid happens across it?

4. the LD50 for most of the products you have access to is 10% of total body weight, and vitamin K1 is the antidote should there be an accidental ingestion, not vitamin K, they are different. Most of the over the counter products contain an emetic that causes mammals to vomit, it limits ingestion and buys you time.

5 it has been my experience that the best thing to do is start and move your equipment every couple of weeks it'll make it inhospitable to anything looking to make a nest.

Mothballs make your tractor smell like your grandmothers closet, naphthalene works as an irritant, just like we don't like it, neither do the rodents, but it must be used in a confined space

If you keep your equipment inside, place rodent specific bait stations at 10-15' intervals along all the walls, when rodents enter a room they tend to run the walls and rest in corners, they're low on the food chain and they know it.,by running the wall they have two side they don't have to keep an eye on.

P.s. This is expected to be a huge rodent year,,,,we have had 3 years with bumper crops of acorns,,,the primary food source for these little suckers,,,,more food more breeding

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #43  
we have had 3 years with bumper crops of acorns,,,the primary food source for these little suckers,,,,more food more breeding

Probably why we don't have many and the cats all eat cat food. Just pines here.:)

The coyotes get the cats and I get the coyotes.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #44  
I'm almost afraid to ask... Other than building nests, whoat do the mice do?

I have guineas, chickens and ducks, Barn cats are not likely right now.

At the moment, my tractor is outside, but I'm going to store it an a big metal shed once I make the door opening large enough.

I did not know I needed to fear mice...

David

Fear the Mouse! Mice are horrid little buggers. Trivia fact, mice (and the disease they spread) have caused more human deaths than ALL of the wars in all of history. The "black plague" was spread by mice. Many other diseases that cause high percentage fatalities. If you've ever heard of Lyme's disease, well the mouse plays a part in vectoring the disease. The tick bites the mouse and give it the bacteria. 2nd, 3rd, etc tick bites the mouse and gets the bacteria.

Buy why worry about them in the barn? They eat the insulation off the wires. Cause shorts, equipment fires, etc. I've spent many hours splicing wires where them stinking vermin have munched them in half. They also build nests in places like your air cleaner. You don't want to perform 100 hour maintenance on your air filter to find a mouse nest and a 3" hole chewed in the filter. An engine can be totally ruined in as little as one (1) hour running in dust with no filter. :mad: They also will chew fuel lines, vacuum lines, hydraulic lines, seats, etc etc etc. I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if they could chew steel!:laughing:

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #45  
CTMassey said:
I keep my MF 1529 in a "Cover-it/Shelterlogic" type shed.Since winter is coming, what are everyones thoughts and ideas on keeping mice away from the tractor??..Hate to think about the damage they could cause.......

Use your tractor regularly. Problem solved. If you can't, then totally close off the air intake, make sure any area they can nest is also inaccessible.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #46  
I use the standard Victor wooden mouse trap with peanut butter. Start setting them when the weather cools down which it hasn't yet.

I think I'll change that strategy 'cause when I pulled out a 10x18 mesh cover I use to cover debris on the trailer there was a mouse nest.

When I unfolded it there were holes all thru it. Since it was folded up that sucker ate a hole in one spot and it went thru several layers.

It will still do the job ok but it was a new cover and I had only used it once.

I'll be setting all the traps this wkend.

Last edited:
   / mouse deterrant.....winters coming #47  
Barn cats ... have had several, problem is the wife thinks they are cute and they end up on the front porch. I quit getting them and fixed the 3 she has.

The mice chewed my baler wires ... I keep the side baler doors open and put bar bait out.

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #48  
Thanks for the wake up call. I'll put out D-con blocks and dryer cloths. When winter snows are a possibility we stay in Florida....:D Not only do I have a minimum temp limit of 30, my road would be TOTALLY inaccessable in snow. Yes, a 4X4 could get up it but.......after a few packings it turns to ice and that road is dangerously steep with a suicide turn.....:mad: Guess I'll fill the fuel tanks, drain the water, put the battery on a solar charger and lock the barn. Dec to March belongs to the wildlife.....:laughing:

/ mouse deterrant.....winters coming #49  
Try the old tried and true

Attachments

• 4389_2195_huge-cat.jpg
    4389_2195_huge-cat.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 11,198
   / mouse deterrant.....winters coming #50  
Good god man how much that cat weigh?