Anyone pull logs like this?

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #31  
Interesting opinions.

But why would a guy who needed to get logs out of the woods that bad have a camera man standing by? Makes me wonder what is going on behind those trees.

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #32  
Interesting opinions.

But why would a guy who needed to get logs out of the woods that bad have a camera man standing by? Makes me wonder what is going on behind those trees.

There are many things that people who are doing them seem mundane and commonplace, but apparently seem interesting and unbelievable to others. Cameras are now cheap enough for many people to have them for no special purpose, I keep one on my tractor as do many others. I have seen lots of You Tube posts of people plowing, tilling, disking etc., northing unusual to me, but someone must find them interesting.

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #33  
this is why you don't lend your tractor out!!

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #34  
The guy obviously knows what he is doing. Having said that, he must clang when he walks!!!

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #35  
You need the front wheels in the air to get that load going w/2wd. He needed a little lower fixed hitch point.
larry

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #36  
As with many dangerous things........

Know your limit... feel free to walk up to the edge, hang your toes over the line, but never, never step all the way over.

This man seems to know his limits not to mention his tractor.

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #37  
I won't argue that the operator has great skill and seems to know his machine well. Well enough to know he needs a little front ballast, maybe?

But that would not be nearly as impressive, or camera friendly, or manly. Braying and bellowing and waving your sword in the air is all kind of lame when the horse has all 4 hooves on the ground.

His performance is impressive; his judgement, not so good.
IMHO, of course.

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #38  
I am really surprised no one has mentioned that his maximum pull is when the front wheels just barely clear the ground. Going higher is counter productive because the torque required to hold it up gets less and less the higher he goes by the cosine of the angle he is at. When he reaches 90* he will have no pull at all the tractor will balance it self. If he applies torque over he goes.
So, even though it looks cool to get up in the air it does not help move the logs.

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #39  
I am really surprised no one has mentioned that his maximum pull is when the front wheels just barely clear the ground. Going higher is counter productive because the torque required to hold it up gets less and less the higher he goes by the cosine of the angle he is at. When he reaches 90* he will have no pull at all the tractor will balance it self. If he applies torque over he goes.
So, even though it looks cool to get up in the air it does not help move the logs.

I agree some of it is just showing off for the camera.
But I think that action is helping to get those logs moving, when he comes down, it's lifting and pulling the logs. I'm not sure front ballast is the answer.
It's that seesawing/ rocking action that is getting it done, with the weight of the front end coming down jerking those logs inch by inch til they break free.

If he had enough front ballast that the front end couldn't come off the ground, he might just spin his wheels, and he would have to unhook some of the logs.

Another thing to consider is I don't think that tractor has power steering, how much front ballast would you want on there especially in the woods.

JB

/ Anyone pull logs like this? #40  
Maybe he has a deadline? Maybe he has a quota that needs met? maybe he makes more for more logs pulled? He has to make a living too.

Maybe the tractor's owner will be back shortly. :laughing:

Before I owned much of anything that's how a friend would log (the front end wouldn't get that high unless his foot slipped off the clutch) with his father-in-law's 8N.

It's hard to watch a minute of video and understand exactly what's really going on. Maybe every load before that one went much better and the skid path is starting to get tough in that one spot and the next skid was only 2 or 3 logs. Maybe that's his old worn out tractor he doesn't care about and just thought he would play around. Maybe he just wanted to be the next YouTube star. Maybe he had a few too many and said "$5 says I can pull that."