Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I like to always have a work towel/ rag handy for wiping my hands off.

Some years ago I bought a 3-pack of black bath towels at Kmart. Black of course doesn't show dirt/ grease etc.

To make it most handy I realized I could simply tie one around my ROPS & let it hang there. In the pic I have wrapped it up around a 2nd time for road travel, so my blinkers can be seen from front, too. Normally, though, I let the towel hang straight down to where it sits about right on the fender. The knot holds it nice & tight for wiping your hands off firmly.

(this is what I post when I have no actual project to report on :eek:)

5.JPG

6.JPG

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #2  
I like to always have a work towel/ rag handy for wiping my hands off.

(this is what I post when I have no actual project to report on :eek:)

Yes! Me too! :thumbsup: I have a rag I keep handy to wipe my hands on when I'm on my TRACTOR--------------- Its the front of my shirt! :laughing:

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #3  
...Some years ago I bought a 3-pack of black bath towels at Kmart. Black of course doesn't show dirt/ grease etc...

I tie a towel around my FOPS in almost the same way, except I make sure it is under the sunshade. The most frequent use I have for it is wiping off the dew on the seat when I have left the tractor out overnight, or when it has rained.

I prefer white or a light shade of towel, since I want to know where it is dirty and greasy.

My source is the Salvation Army thrift store, which is where I get a lot of very nice rags, and support a good cause. Great place for dog towels also.

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #4  
beppington,

I like it! Though I too lean toward a lighter color, so I can see where the Good, the Bad and the Ugly are, on the towel/rag. Sometimes I need a clean part, for something delicate, or too small to see well. (The "50 and over's" will understand... LOL).

I'm more intrigued by that "gunrack *** weedeater" holder. In fact, I was wondering if you welded up that whole overhead frame, as well--perhaps to protect from falling objects?

What other tools have you found homes for on that machine? Say, like a chain saw? I guess that's why folks build carryalls, huh?

You just gave me an idea: You know how some folds pour their rear weight boxes full of concrete, with various diameter PVC tubes set in? How about pouring the concrete in around two trailer receiver hitches (with an appropriately-sized loop of 2" receiver-strength square-tube piping down deep in the concrete, for strength)? Then, one could weld up a variety of tool boxes/trays/frames to fit those two receiver hitches.

Dumb? Overbuilt? Under-thought? :laughing: Love to hear anyone's thoughts, if this isn't too big of a hijack. :D

Nice machine.

My Hoe

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #5  
Yes! Me too! :thumbsup: I have a rag I keep handy to wipe my hands on when I'm on my TRACTOR--------------- Its the front of my shirt! :laughing:
Good one!
According to the wife I've got 67 rags under my seat but the shirt deal seems to be the handiest (according to the wife). You know, got to wipe the hands before I flip the seat up to get at a rag. Don't want to get the seat dirty.:D

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #6  
I keep a couple of towels handy behind my seat between the seat and toolbox. Tractor stays under shed, thus the seat stays relatively clean. I have a seat cover with storage section on the back, where I store gloves and an additional clean towel. Works for me.:)

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #7  
When I get ready to head outside, I grab three things, my cap, gloves and I hang a shop rag out of my back pocket.

Wedge

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #8  
Beppington, I think you should switch to white towels, cause I can't see them in your pictures.LOL. Good idea though, as long as they don't slip off and get caught in the pto or something.

I'll have to stop by the Goodwill store. My wife gets upset when I take one of "her" towels, even if they are old and frayed. I think she wants them for cleaning ... we each have our domain, right?

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion #9  
It rains here some, so micro-fiber towels are a must behind the seat. If I get caught in the rain and even if the towels get soaked, I can still ring them out and get the seat dry enough to sit in it. I get bales of rags from the thrift store too. I carry a couple of those rags and use them for the dip sticks, wiping clean the quick disconnects, and to move any grease goobers out of my way. I wouldn't want to not see where the grease is on them, so black wouldn't work.

/ Work towel/ rag on a tractor: suggestion
Beppington, I think you should switch to white towels, cause I can't see them in your pictures.LOL.

I considered lighter colors, maybe a gray, but unlike others ... I don't think I wanna know what's already on that dirty rag!!! :laughing:

Good idea though, as long as they don't slip off and get caught in the pto or something.

Totally agree - I made sure mine lands just barely on the top of the fender, nowhere near the PTO.