Tires R4s vs R1 Ags?

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #1  

pafoodplotter

Tractor
Kioti dk35, Case VA
I use my compact tractor for all sorts of earth work off-road and moving snow with the FEL on a sloped, paved driveway. I'm not overly impressed with the traction I get from the R4s on snowy pavement. Anyone with similar experience?

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #2  
Do a search for R4 vs R1. You will get many opinions and see what others have done. There is enough material already posted that you can read about this for days if not weeks.

Good luck

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #3  
Can't speak for snow but the rears going uphill on turf leave alot to be desired. The fronts have worked out pretty well. I wish I had plain old ags on the rear.

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #4  
I use my compact tractor for all sorts of earth work off-road and moving snow with the FEL on a sloped, paved driveway. I'm not overly impressed with the traction I get from the R4s on snowy pavement. Anyone with similar experience?

here is another idea to improve R4 traction on snow. I did the mod and it seemed to work well, but I only had 1 snow to test it with last winter.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

James K0UA

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #5  
No ags have more traction no dought, but as far as in the snow goes everything pretty much sucks.

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #6  
I guess it depends on what kind of pavement you have, but I studded my tires last winter with hex head sheet metal screws when my driveway was a 10% grade sheet of ice. Worked amazingly well but my driveway is gravel so I wasn't worried about scratching it up.
I'm going to reuse the screws this year as well.

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #7  
I've had ags and R-4s. When my driveway is snow covered ice, neither is much good but with chains added I think R-4s have a bit of an edge. They also work better in my bush but they sure suck in clay without chains.....

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #8  
Sloped snowy pavement, neither type will have an advantage.

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #9  

Been using R4s for 12 years on gravel drive. 2 years ago (after 10 years of frustration) finally got chains. They made a BIG difference!

/ R4s vs R1 Ags? #10  
Normallly with a bucket or blower I can scrape my blacktop nearly clear and I've used all styles of tires and fortuantely on near identical tractors. Turf is the amazing one and I'd put ag tires second. The biggest plus for any of them is low air pressure!