Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating?

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #31  
My last boots were 4" 'Brahma' lace up boots from Walmart, purchased in January 2006 for $30.00. They lasted five years + on the tractor.

In September 2012 I bought 'Keith' steel-toed brogans from Walmart also for $30.00.

The shoddy original laces failed almost immediately in both pairs. Replaced with Kevlar laces and have same Kevlar laces in Keith brogans that I first installed in Brahma boots.

I need a 6E width and Walmart's Wide Widths work for me.

I would not hike in either pair of foot ware but for work on and around the tractor both boots and shoes serviceable.

Last edited:
   / Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #32  
Dewalt 8" composite armoured boot, lug sole.

If you want protection with less weight, checkout composite boots (ie. not steel), you might find them acceptable. Got mine, in part, for cold weather - great for that too, but not much of an issue down your way. I find that these Dewalts (about 3 years old) breathe well - decent leather/design.

I ride street, as you do. ATGATT for me, wouldn't dream of going out w/o ankle covering boots - default is a dedicated high bike boot. Not lecturing, to each his own.

Bikes, as with tractors, it is the unplanned excursions that often bite, hard. If you only drive the tractor, perhaps less protection works out OK, but that does not line up with my tractor use. YMMV.

Let us know what you end up picking.

Rgds, D.

Man you must have some stupid safety personnel. Putting on a 15E when you wear a 13 1/2 AA is asking for trouble. I guess you should get a red nose and wig and put on your white face to finish up the clown act. Not only is wearing a shoe 2 sizes too large dangerous but bad for your feet too. Make them special order you the right size to fit your feet if they require them they should furnish them to fit. Alternatively, buy your own in the correct size. Does everyone have to wear 2 sizes too large? The whole purpose of steel toes is that your toes are supposed to be underneath the steel or kevlar protection, not behind it. Putting the steel toe 2" in front of your toes is not the intent of wearing steel toes and you may as well just have regular shoes if you are doing that.

My thoughts about the safety dept, exactly.
Getting a pair of custom made boots may be an option if I can get some that are good for chainsaw use - thanks for that idea. If they are available in composite, as 3930dave mentioned, that might actually get me drawing on my wallet.

By the way, the look is more Herman Munster than Clarabel the Clown.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #33  
My thoughts about the safety dept, exactly.
Getting a pair of custom made boots may be an option if I can get some that are good for chainsaw use - thanks for that idea. If they are available in composite, as 3930dave mentioned, that might actually get me drawing on my wallet.

By the way, the look is more Herman Munster than Clarabel the Clown.

I don't think Kodiak does custom, but here is an example of a Canadian boot that is full composite:

Blue Renegade | Kodiak Footwear > Industrial

Rgds, D.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #34  
Here's a vote for Edgewater by Muck Boots. They are my default outdoor wear, being a horseback trailrider. They're waterproof, warm, and very comfortable. Doesn't matter what you land in when you hop off the tractor. No steel toes, but I think the Muck Boot Company makes those styles, too.
It's either Muck Boots or barefoot for me!

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #35  
Seeing as I don't play tennis, I wear sneakers/running shoes in the summer and Sorell insulated boots in winter. I don't need to ever get off the tractor in summer, I have a grunt to do all the outside work. ie; hook up the chain to pull logs. He wears the 'chain saw' boots.Steel toe, steel shank and 10" uppers.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #36  
I don't play tennis either. Nor do I sneak around and I darn sure don't do any running so I wear a pair of WalMart rubber clogs with open back that I paid 8 bucks for three years ago. I expected them to last a month or two and be somewhat uncomfortable but lo and behold, After wearing them every single day since I bought them, they are still holding up and my feet don't hurt despite plantar faciitus.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #37  
Redwings,man! Get the made in USA steeltoed if possible.They are great! don-ohio :)^)

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #38  
RedWings for me. I bought a new pair yesterday.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #39  
Yep! They're really put together. I used èm all the time I did concrete contracting work(when they say waterproof,they are). I still use them as an Operator Technician in DOE facilities. don-ohio

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #40  
I have a pair of Walmart Hubert workboots. They're waterproof and extremely comfortable. I've worn them almost everyday for 3 years now, and they're still going strong. I've tried several pairs of much more expensive boots, including Redwings, but these are the most comfortable workboots that I've ever had, and they've already lasted longer than any other workboots that I've ever had. They cost $30 or $35, best bargin I've ever found in boots.