Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating?

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating?
I think the original question was what do you wear while operating a tractor. I see guys climbing down out of tractors here all the time in a pair of shorts and tennis shoes.
I found myself wondering if I really needed 8" lace up heavy work boots with lug soles and steel toes when I'm on the tractor. There was no doubt in my mind that the CAT boots were safe - but they sure were uncomfortable. Alas, that happens a lot when safety is paramount. My wife and I are avid motorcyclist and we have all the gear - leather jackets and gloves, high end Sidi boots, full face helmets (Shoei or Arai $$$), and even padded pants. We were aggressive riders at one time and just didn't feel safe without all the gear, but now - not so much. We still wear padded jackets, wear full face helmets, never go anywhere without gloves, but the pants and boots don't always make the ride and the leather jackets are usually padded mesh now. The wife and I both switched to different bikes last year and for the most part we just cruise now. She's on a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R that I've lowered for her - it's not a real powerful bike, but it's far more bike than her previous cruiser. As for me, I sold my Hayabusa last year and then went through several bikes before I finally settled on a 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R that I'm restoring.

The point of the original question was to determine what level of safety was needed from the CAB. I didn't see a need for my current boots and felt a safety downgrade wouldn't significantly decrease me longevity - just didn't know what would be deemed acceptable!

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #22  
Dewalt 8" composite armoured boot, lug sole.

If you want protection with less weight, checkout composite boots (ie. not steel), you might find them acceptable. Got mine, in part, for cold weather - great for that too, but not much of an issue down your way. I find that these Dewalts (about 3 years old) breathe well - decent leather/design.

I ride street, as you do. ATGATT for me, wouldn't dream of going out w/o ankle covering boots - default is a dedicated high bike boot. Not lecturing, to each his own.

Bikes, as with tractors, it is the unplanned excursions that often bite, hard. If you only drive the tractor, perhaps less protection works out OK, but that does not line up with my tractor use. YMMV.

Let us know what you end up picking.

Rgds, D.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #23  
Flip-flops in summer, sheep skin lined slippers in cold weather.

mark

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #24  
I wear the same thing I wear everyday ....cowboy boots. Just not the ostrich Lucchese's. Justin high top snake boots if I'm working in the area I know the rattlers to be. Steel toe if I'm doing that kind of work, or cushion sole if it's mostly on the tractor work. I'm wearing my first pair of Ariat work boots with neoprene soles right now....so far I'm pretty happy with them.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #25  
When I used to ride the MC my mantra was "dress for the crash not the ride".

When I run the tractor it is always steel toes, not because I plan on risking injury to my foot, but rather I don't know what to expect. I envision the quick tweak of an implement or something that should be quick and easy and goes badly. As a matter of habit, steel toes go on if I run machines.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #26  
Most of the time I wear my Kirkland work boots. Best $35 I've ever spent on footware. Too bad they don't still carry them.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #27  
I found myself wondering if I really needed 8" lace up heavy work boots with lug soles and steel toes when I'm on the tractor. There was no doubt in my mind that the CAT boots were safe - but they sure were uncomfortable. Alas, that happens a lot when safety is paramount. My wife and I are avid motorcyclist and we have all the gear - leather jackets and gloves, high end Sidi boots, full face helmets (Shoei or Arai $$$), and even padded pants. We were aggressive riders at one time and just didn't feel safe without all the gear, but now - not so much. We still wear padded jackets, wear full face helmets, never go anywhere without gloves, but the pants and boots don't always make the ride and the leather jackets are usually padded mesh now. The wife and I both switched to different bikes last year and for the most part we just cruise now. She's on a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R that I've lowered for her - it's not a real powerful bike, but it's far more bike than her previous cruiser. As for me, I sold my Hayabusa last year and then went through several bikes before I finally settled on a 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R that I'm restoring.

The point of the original question was to determine what level of safety was needed from the CAB. I didn't see a need for my current boots and felt a safety downgrade wouldn't significantly decrease me longevity - just didn't know what would be deemed acceptable!

Yep, rode motorcycles from 1965 until last year and had to give it to my son. I had the high boots etc., but not much other than leathers as when I was much younger, you really couldn't get the protective clothing you can now. My sons and grandson have the leathers, boots, spine and chest protection with elbows knees etc.

When I drive a tractor, that is all I do; cab with AC and heat. If I need to get off and do work that needs gloves, foot protection, I get them out of the house or out of my truck. I am not going to be uncomfortable all day on the off chance I will need to get off and do some "work".

When I was younger, I wore it all, now I am just too old and lazy and prefer comfort. I am still smart enough though to know how to properly dress myself and if I need protection it is a simply matter to get it.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #28  
I wear a pair of Merrel Ridgelines. They're 6 or 7 years old. Relatively light for the support and I can move like a cat with them. Don't tell my wife about the cat part. I have big, skinny feet - 13.5 AA, so finding anything that even closely fits is a challenge. I can wear the Merrels all day long. I'm much more concerned with keeping my ballance and having good feel thru the pedals than I am of crushing my toes, so I take a risk going without the steel toes.

I have a pair of steel toe boots for work. They size them a full size larger so the steel box doesn't pinch your toe when it collapses. This puts me in a size 15 E (no narrow sizes in 15). There's so much slop and wallow that I'm always afraid I'm going to trip over my own feet. But they're "safe", so I have to wear them in the plant.

Man you must have some stupid safety personnel. Putting on a 15E when you wear a 13 1/2 AA is asking for trouble. I guess you should get a red nose and wig and put on your white face to finish up the clown act. Not only is wearing a shoe 2 sizes too large dangerous but bad for your feet too. Make them special order you the right size to fit your feet if they require them they should furnish them to fit. Alternatively, buy your own in the correct size. Does everyone have to wear 2 sizes too large? The whole purpose of steel toes is that your toes are supposed to be underneath the steel or kevlar protection, not behind it. Putting the steel toe 2" in front of your toes is not the intent of wearing steel toes and you may as well just have regular shoes if you are doing that.

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #29  
Usually some form of boot. Morr because tennies let enough dirt in to really P the wife O when taking them off. Plus that makes sweat mud that smells and srains socks forever!

/ Shoes - No, not the tractors... What do you wear when operating? #30  
I always were either my Justin workboots in the summer or my rubber boots in the winter.
No shoes for me. I prefer boots over shoes because wearing shoes hurt my back. I have yet to find a pair with the design that supports foot design.