How did you know it was time to sell?

/ How did you know it was time to sell?
I knew there are or were a few places like that...

It's got to the point where design review governs just about everything... a friend built his retirement home and the type of gutters, finishes, width of walls and paint scheme all had to be approved and it took years...

He sold his business and when the city told him they would not provide a certificate of occupancy because he built the home to the approved plans which included a downstairs wet-bar with a microwave... he told them what they could do...

He said he could care less about the C/O and he had no loans and was never planning on moving... it took this level to make the city reconsider... had he had a construction loan or was building to sell... he would not have had the option to fight.

Had a few calls on the Dozer tonight... mostly folks looking for information.

Not in a hurry to sell and one might say I am a reluctant seller...

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #32  
Years ago I watch a "this old house" where a couple in the Boston area had to pay for a company to come out and remove paint from their house. Not because of lead or some other sort of toxin but so they could determine the original color of the house. That base color was the only color they were allowed to paint their house.

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #33  
Put me down as one that HATES Home Owner's Associations, Civic Clubs, City Governments, County Governments, etc., etc., etc.!

I've lived in big cities and little cities - they're all the same given enough time and power. Last one I lived in down near Galveston, TX wanted to tell me that I could only have ONE storage shed out back. That house had a creek out back, and with only a little research, I discovered that IF you lived on a waterway you could have one storage shed and one "boat house". Naturally I declared my second shed was a boat house; stored a little rubber boat in it :) End of story.

That same bunch if idiots in the neighborhood tried to get the Civic Club charter changed to require all cats to be on lease. HA! Ever seen a cat on a lease? That, of course, failed.

Only real solution was to move complete out of the city, county and state. Sure - there are some drawbacks for living out in the sticks, but very-rural Georgia meets my liking. One can do whatever they can afford or like. Way too much "government" these days.

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #34  
Had a few calls on the Dozer tonight... mostly folks looking for information.

Not in a hurry to sell and one might say I am a reluctant seller...

I couldn't stand it. After seeing this post, I went to the Bay Area craigslist to search for your ad. The photo of your dozer looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Is that a recent photo? Talk about love at first sight. . . sweet!:thumbsup:

It's also clear in your ad that you are torn with getting rid of it. It's an old friend that has served you well. I know if I sold something like that and found out the person did not take care of it, I'd be depressed. As you said, I'd be in no hurry to get rid of it and surely would be very firm on price. The nice thing about it is that it is small enough to haul on a flatbed or gooseneck behind a 1-ton pickup truck.

Thanks for the compliment...

In the interest of full disclosure the picture is from the sales brochure... the pictures I took were too dark and didn't look good on Craigslist.

So, I didn't include any picture at first and that caused a lot of confusion. I was spending a lot of time trying to describe the Dozer and features...

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #36  
I thought it looked like an official Caterpillar photo.

Send me a PM with some of your photos attached, and I'll see if I can touch them up a bit.

You should probably add an approximate year (or year range if you don't know). Caterpillar may be able to help you.

Add a few "search terms", either to the title or the body.

Cat, Caterpillar, Crawler, Dozer, D3, 5MC, D3B, Skidder. Diesel

Some people like to add names of equivalent machines such as writing "Like Case 1550 or John Deere 550". Just don't go overboard.

I'd also be interested in something describing the condition. Smoke? Starting? I assume it has electric start.

I have the pictures on computer I leave at work...

Good idea for being more descriptive and similar titles...

Best I can tell it is a 1976... I know the series I have was built as late as 1979.

My only Dozer experience is with this one... a few years ago a buddy wanted to see it and we went down and I started it up... since day one, I have always used the preheat on the key before starting... he said preheat is only needed with cold ambient temperatures.

The next time I started it... about two months later... I didn't use preheat and it was hard to start... just little puffs at first...

Guess you could say I'm just testing the waters right now...

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #38  
If a Diesel has glowplugs, use them.

The older CAT dozers had a "pony motor". A little gas engine that you would fire up as the starter motor for the Diesel engine.

Update... had lots of interest from my Craigslist ad.

Had to put everyone off till today due to being away for work.

The first person that came to see it left a deposit... unfortunately, it also made for some unhappy people. He was also the first to respond to the ad.

Also had some interesting offers... several wanted to know if I would take vehicles and even a boat in trade.

So, time will tell... I think I am already missing it and it's still here!

The reaction from neighbors and friends has been disbelief... that little dozer is a celebrity around here.