How did you know it was time to sell?

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #11  
I bought it to put in and maintain required fire trails on family property... it's just shy of 16,000 pounds...

Much of the family property has been taken over by the park district and while I enjoy my seat time... I can dress the fire trails on the remaining few acres in a couple of hours...

Just curious, but can you please tell how the park has taken over family property?? Has some of the property been sold to the park? Or did the park acquire it some other way? And how is it you are required to maintain the firetrails? Is that in the deed, or some other legal agreement?

/ How did you know it was time to sell?
It's kind of a complicated story...

Decades ago, the land was rezoned to residential... some for 25,000 square foot lots and the rest 5,000... the city did this as part of a master plan 45 years ago... my parents and grandparents live in regular 1950's tract homes adjacent to the property and I bought a home in the area at the opposite far end of the property...

The family property is adjacent to a city park and and two other neighbors own adjacent acreage.

It is very rugged, steep with ridges, creeks and ravines and spectacular views.

Back in the 80's, the city formed a new fire suppression district... each city parcel was assessed a fee to police/enforce the new rules which were written with a typical city lot in mind... the first year it said all vegetation taller than 6" or limbs less than 6' above ground had to be removed and the chips could not remain.

This started a conflict between various agencies... the slopes were steep and the live oaks... some hundreds of years old are famous for having huge branches that hug the ground... fire department wanted it cleared and other agencies wanted it protected... leaving property owners between a rock and hard place.

After a lot of negotiations, it was decided that owners of large parcels would deemed compliant if they put in and maintain fire trails. The trails created their own problems because now it was a haven for quads and dirt bikes...

The odd thing is you could own a home on acreage and only the area around the home needed to be maintained... however, if you had vacant land... the entire parcel was to be cleared and in some cases fenced... although no barb wire. Taxes and fees were assessed based on home many housing units "Could" be built if the land was vacant.

The adjacent landowner decided he was going to put in 80 homes on 1/2 to 1 acre lots with a generous green belt... all in compliance with exist use and ordinances... this rallied the community which believed this land was city owned... when they found out it was not... they got enough signatures to for a ballot measure to declare it open space and have the city buy the land with a new open space tax... the neighbor had spent over 2 million over the course of 5 years in engineering, professional and legal fees was on the verge of bankruptcy

The city contacted my Dad a few months before he passed away from cancer... Dad didn't want Mom troubled with the ongoing burdens ownership had become... high taxes, assessments, zoning changes, dumpers, fire suppression... so he agreed to sell most of the land to the city for 25k and acre in an area where lots go for 100k... the land was to be added to the park...

It has always been my job to maintain the trails and keep the inspectors happy...

Every time a new inspector was assigned... there would be problems.

Last year... Mom received several certified letters stating the fire inspector had declared the properties an imminent hazard and she had 7 days to abate... It took me two days of playing phone tag to actually meet the inspector at the property... he was not aware large property owners were compliant by maintaining fire trails which is what State Law says... he also pointed to an area adjacent to the local public school and said it would need to be cleared in any event because the growth provided a fire ladder up the steep terrain... again, the problem is all the land he identified is owned by either the school district, the park district or the city outright.

The acreage mom retains is about 5 acres and runs between my house and hers. We have a nice trail that we use all the time... she will be 79 and takes her dog for a walk to my place everyday...

The park district ended up with the property because owning it was getting to be very time consuming, expensive and burdensome because of increasing regulations, ordinances and ignorant city employees... (Not meant to be derogatory)

Last year I had found the home of my dreams was for sale in the county... I was so ready mentally and physically to move... tried as hard as I could to make it mine... even offered 100k over the accepted contract should the buyer in first position not be able to close... just wasn't meant to be...

Lesson learned is living in a city where the color of your house or where you park your car/tractor is regulated is not for me...

PS... the city maintains nothing stating they don't have the funds... and since I still maintain the land owned by Mom... the city has cut her locks several times to access their land because the access from the park has become overgrown to the point the poison oak make it impassable... Each time they paid me for a new lock!

Last edited:
   / How did you know it was time to sell? #13  
What a nightmare! Government run amok.
It's kind of a complicated story...

Decades ago, the land was rezoned to residential... some for 25,000 acre lots and the rest 5,000... the city did this as part of a master plan 45 years ago... my parents and grandparents live in regular 1950's tract homes adjacent to the property and I bought a home in the area at the opposite far end of the property...

The family property is adjacent to a city park and and two other neighbors own adjacent acreage.

It is very rugged, steep with ridges, creeks and ravines and spectacular views.

Back in the 80's, the city formed a new fire suppression district... each city parcel was assessed a fee to police/enforce the new rules which were written with a typical city lot in mind... the first year it said all vegetation taller than 6" or limbs less than 6' above ground had to be removed and the chips could not remain.

This started a conflict between various agencies... the slopes were steep and the live oaks... some hundreds of years old are famous for having huge branches that hug the ground... fire department wanted it cleared and other agencies wanted it protected... leaving property owners between a rock and hard place.

After a lot of negotiations, it was decided that owners of large parcels would deemed compliant if they put in and maintain fire trails. The trails created their own problems because now it was a haven for quads and dirt bikes...

The odd thing is you could own a home on acreage and only the area around the home needed to be maintained... however, if you had vacant land... the entire parcel was to be cleared and in some cases fenced... although no barb wire. Taxes and fees were assessed based on home many housing units "Could" be built if the land was vacant.

The adjacent landowner decided he was going to put in 80 homes on 1/2 to 1 acre lots with a generous green belt... all in compliance with exist use and ordinances... this rallied the community which believed this land was city owned... when they found out it was not... they got enough signatures to for a ballot measure to declare it open space and have the city buy the land with a new open space tax... the neighbor had spent over 2 million over the course of 5 years in engineering, professional and legal fees was on the verge of bankruptcy

The city contacted my Dad a few months before he passed away from cancer... Dad didn't want Mom troubled with the ongoing burdens ownership had become... high taxes, assessments, zoning changes, dumpers, fire suppression... so he agreed to sell most of the land to the city for 25k and acre in an area where lots go for 100k... the land was to be added to the park...

It has always been my job to maintain the trails and keep the inspectors happy...

Every time a new inspector was assigned... there would be problems.

Last year... Mom received several certified letters stating the fire inspector had declared the properties an imminent hazard and she had 7 days to abate... It took me two days of playing phone tag to actually meet the inspector at the property... he was not aware large property owners were compliant by maintaining fire trails which is what State Law says... he also pointed to an area adjacent to the local public school and said it would need to be cleared in any event because the growth provided a fire ladder up the steep terrain... again, the problem is all the land he identified is owned by either the school district, the park district or the city outright.

The acreage mom retains is about 5 acres and runs between my house and hers. We have a nice trail that we use all the time... she will be 79 and takes her dog for a walk to my place everyday...

The park district ended up with the property because owning it was getting to be very time consuming, expensive and burdensome because of increasing regulations, ordinances and ignorant city employees... (Not meant to be derogatory)

Last year I had found the home of my dreams was for sale in the county... I was so ready mentally and physically to move... tried as hard as I could to make it mine... even offered 100k over the accepted contract should the buyer in first position not be able to close... just wasn't meant to be...

Lesson learned is living in a city where the color of your house or where you park your car/tractor is regulated is not for me...

PS... the city maintains nothing stating they don't have the funds... and since I still maintain the land owned by Mom... the city has cut her locks several times to access their land because the access from the park has become overgrown to the point the poison oak make it impassable... Each time they paid me for a new lock!

I apologize for writing so much... it's just a raw nerve.

Should have said increasing cost and the expanding burden of government regulations reached a point where my Dad didn't want to leave Mom having to deal with it...

The city... no matter how broke it claims to be has unlimited resources where as the property owner must often face reality... at one time, the family plan was for each of the kids or grand kids to be able to build a home... since I'm the only one left in the area... Dad decided it was never going to happen that way...

The good thing is I did have lots of Dozer Seat time that I never could have justified otherwise...

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #15  
I apologize for writing so much... it's just a raw nerve.

Should have said increasing cost and the expanding burden of government regulations reached a point where my Dad didn't want to leave Mom having to deal with it...

The city... no matter how broke it claims to be has unlimited resources where as the property owner must often face reality... at one time, the family plan was for each of the kids or grand kids to be able to build a home... since I'm the only one left in the area... Dad decided it was never going to happen that way...

The good thing is I did have lots of Dozer Seat time that I never could have justified otherwise...

Wow!! That is some story! Government Gone Wild for sure. Those beaurocrats are too "ignorant" to realize they could have netted a tremendous amount of tax revenue if they had worked with the one neighbor that was trying to develop his property into 80 lots for houses. Instead, they probably put him in the poor house, and at the same time ran off a lot of your family members who also would have probably built on your family land, and added even more tax revenue.

While fire is a threat pretty much anyway you go, you can't completely prevent natural disasters with all sorts of regulations and laws. Mother nature will have her way!

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #16  
Is the dozer here in Wash.?? If you are in the Olympia area.....there is a good auction house in Centralia that you might consider. I've seen various dozers....all sizes fetch some really good prices. A good buddy of mine bought an Oliver OC3 at an estate sale for $950......we cleaned it up.....fixed a couple of minor problems and took it to the auction house....sold it for $4000. I can get you info. on the auction house if needed. Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #17  
Richie brothers or iron planet will both fetch a fair price for your yellow iron. They both reach out to other countries that want that old iron in a bad way! The auctions are online and the shipping will be covered by the buyer...

/ How did you know it was time to sell? #18  
quite a story runner. Government has gotten too big for our own good. They also demand of you to do things but exempt themselves of doing the same things, upkeep of property being my thoughts here. Does their property present less fire hazards than private owned property? By what you are saying, they dictate to you and lets theirs grow up and become hazardous at the same time.

You've had the old girl and become attached. But letting her go and attaching to the $$$$ would be the smart thing to do. But it won't be time to do it until YOU think it's time.

The Dozer is in Oakland California...

There is a double standard depending if the land is city owned or private.

It happens all the time...

Not to get too far off...

I helped a 99 year old widow I know... she has been in her home for 60 years and has only one daughter that lives 3 hours away...

The city sent her a certified notice to immediately remove hazardous trees stating the city would do it and lien the property after 10 days... ever notice how these things always arrive on a Friday afternoon?

Anyway, I called in a friend that does a lot of survey work... he also likes my Dozer.

The surveyor came with maps and called the city from the site and spoke the city surveyor and said the trees in question are on city land...

The fire department was most unhappy about it and the neighbors that reported it was a former fireman and he kept pressing and eventually the city came and removed the trees...

It must be a strategy to intimidate that works because how can the city send out legal notices and be wrong so often?

The lady who hopes to 100 this year is as sharp as can be mentally and still lives alone... just can't get over how they can send out legal notices without repercussion when it is 100% wrong...

Maybe I'm getting too old because I can remember when things were much simpler...

Wow!! That is some story! Government Gone Wild for sure. Those bureaucrats are too "ignorant" to realize they could have netted a tremendous amount of tax revenue if they had worked with the one neighbor that was trying to develop his property into 80 lots for houses. Instead, they probably put him in the poor house, and at the same time ran off a lot of your family members who also would have probably built on your family land, and added even more tax revenue.

While fire is a threat pretty much anyway you go, you can't completely prevent natural disasters with all sorts of regulations and laws. Mother nature will have her way!

The Bay Area is very anti-growth... even in-fill projects will bring out hundreds to protest.

It is kind of ironic that by voting for a tax to take the 80 acre development land public... the city lost about 20k in annual revenue it was collection on the vacant land.

The finished homes were projected to sell from 650k to 1.4m. Multiply that by 80 and that is a lot of taxes plus the sewer line was already in...

I've had the police called on me for running a chain saw because they got a report someone was cutting down oak trees on city land... first it was my land and second the oak had fallen in the wind storm...

Reading TBN has me longing for the country life... I thought Olympia might be the ticket and now am not so sure with high taxes and plenty of regulations in Thurston County...

At one time I thought about taking the Dozer from California to Washington... decided it didn't pencil out.